Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot canting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've never adjusted the canting on my boots but wondered if it would help as my legs are a bit bandy.There were no instructions with the boots.I noticed that when skiing on the flat that the outer edges of the skiis were slightly more in the snow than the inner ones.Would adjusting the canting aline the boots with my legs and throw the boots up at the outside helping me to get a better edge?
If so how do I do this?My boots are Head Edge 9 from 3-4 years ago
Thanks
Iain
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yanto, Almost impossible to do without alot of experience or a bootfitter, sorry. You can get a 5mm allen key and play around with the cant rivet on the lateral (outside) of the boot and try and see if it changes stuff otherwise wait until you get to resort and try and find a Alignment tech.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that SZK.So don't touch the inside rivet at all if I do adjust it myself?
Iain
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can just make sure you go opposites and make the coller go with the problem rather than against it. Good Luck
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its pretty simple. Much easier with a second person to help.

Put the the boots on in the normal way with your normal socks and make a note of the clip settings.
Take liners out of boots and take insoles out of liners
Put insoles into boots.
Set the boots on a hard flat horizontal floor
Step into boots (without socks is best)
Clip up boots to your normal clip positions you noted above.
stand in the boots with your feet set apart to your normal skiing width.
You may need to shuffle a bit to centre up your feet and insoles in the boots, helps to have another person to hold the boots still.
If you then flex your ankles to adopt a skiing stance you can then check the clearance between boot and your leg.
The leg should be centred in the shell.
If its not, adjust the "cant" adjuster to move the cuff from side to side and centre the leg, repeat for other leg.

I would the shuffle a bit in the boots, reset and try again to check the first result.

Strictly speaking this is a lateral cuff adjustment not canting. Canting is actually tilting the whole boot through shell gringing of the sole or wedges under the binding.

I don't understand why all shops don't do this simple adjustment and why they don't explain it.

Last thought, its quite possible you could reach the maximum adjustment limit and still not properly centred, its not unusual but will need the services of a good boot fitter (a trip to CEM Bicester would be recommended)

First boots I bought were not adjusted properly (at all in fact) and my progress after the first couple of weeks was held back badly Evil or Very Mad

Hope this helps
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Judging by the other posts I'd better get my hard hat on Smile

(stand by the post though)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rich, Close but not entirely true. The true point is nothing to do with the leg centering in the cuff. But the effect when leaning comfortably into the coller on the position of the boot's sole plane.(the bit made to go in the binding). This can be acheived with or without the leg sitting into this position.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, close enough for a pair of boots that's had no adjustment at all. 90% is better than 0%
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replys guys.The way I imagined the canting rivets to work was that the angle of the upper boot(collar?) was adjusted at around the ankle point relative to the foot(sole),in effect throwing the top of the boot(cuff?) either to the inside or ouside.Am I right?
Iain
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yanto, if you find you have to adjust the boots a long way things will feel very strange the first time you use them. You won't suddenly be skiing like a god. Your body will have learned to compensate for the old boot settings, it will take a while to unlearn.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yanto, spot on. You describe them as rivets which is a bit confusing. Its usually an allen key (hex) adjuster at the outside ankle pivot point. Some boots have a second adjuster on the inside pivot.
The adjuster could be one of two types, either an eccentric cam or a simple slotted clamp type. If its an eccentric just turning the hex will move the cuff to the desired position. If its the clamp type undo the hex a little to loosen the cuff and push or pull it over, there are usually a series of notched positions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy