Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Neox 310 Bindings - question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have picked up a barain pair of Atomic GS 12 skis for my son who is starting race training this year , they have Neox 310 bindings , the booklet states that the sole length for the bindings is 260-365 , his boots are currently 257mm in length , so techncially to small , does anyone know if there is any tolerenace in this binding to fit a sole 3mm short , or do i need to wait until he gets new boots , he only got the Salomon Falcon boots in Feb this year , so still has another season in them . My view is bindings are critical , so the answer is probably no but any advice from and ski techies would be helpful.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting question to which I would also like to know the answer. Any more stats on the skis and your son to help. I suspect that you may just get away with it as the bindings have a 5 mm screw adjustment but someone else will have to advise whether this still operates at the shortest boot length.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got Neox bindings - the adjustment is not that fine, you have to round down to the nearest 0.5cm or 5mm.
The adjustment is in 5mm steps thus 257mm would become 255mm.
I don't think your son can use them.

My boots are 307mm but I have the binding set at 305mm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobCrock, it all depends on if there is sufficient adjustment left on the forward pressure screw when the boot length adjustment is at it's shortest - I think that there should be but I've never tried it myself so please let me know how you get on.

The forward pressure adjustment is the smaller screw in the rear of the heel piece underneath the large DIN adjustment screw (see pic). It's purpose is to allow for variances in boot sole lengths that differ from those stated on the boot length scale. It's correct adjustment is CRITICAL as the binding will only release at it's stated DIN setting when the forward adjustment has been correctly set.

Correct adjustment is when, with the boot installed in the binding, the head of the screw is flush with the face of the outer housing (as in the pic). Any adjustment of the forward pressure should be done with the boot removed from the binding to avoid overstressing the screw.

When such a small boot size is mounted 'on the line' (on either the forward or central position on the Neox) is likely that the mounting position will still be too far rearward to properly pressure the ski over it's sweet spot. I'd therefore recommend cheating the boot length scale by keeping the toe piece forward & bringing the heelpiece forward. The boot lengths shown in the windows in the grey 'switch piece' won't be correct but as long as the two lengths shown when added together & divided by two are within 5mm of your actual boot length you'll be fine once the forward pressure has been adjusted. On a boot of your length I'd be looking to position it so the boot mark was at least 40mm ahead of the forward mark.

Here's some more Neox info including full instruction with plenty of pics: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/35/50/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks to all , we have tried to adjust the bindings , the boot fits (just) but the forward pressure screw is not flush , so in terms of safety , Tom is getting new skis , these will sit in the cupboard till next year. We will most likely keep the bindings only, unless the growth spurt stops. Many thanks to all who offered advice. I have learnt so much over the last two days on ski maint. , but in the end still took advice from some local shops who confirmed your views and my suspicions . Just ordered some Fischer RC4 WC SL Jnr and checked they take a 257 mm boot sole .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy