Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Choice For A Tall Bloke

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I have used it in previous years for snow reports and ski bag reviews but always found what I needed without having to start a new thread. Now however I need some advice. I am 23 and have been skiing for quite a few years and done a season, but have never mastered bumps or skied a huge amount of off piste as I usually ski late in the season. I'm about 197cm (around 6ft 5in) and weigh about 80kg and I'm finally looking to buy my own set of skis.

I'm looking to spend around £500 but could spend a bit more if it's worth it. I need a ski which is good on piste and can do bumps but is able to cope with powder and crud pretty well as I'm looking to get better at the off piste. I would prefer twin tips so I can learn to ride switch but will consider others. Can anyone recommend me some to look at? From reviews I've read the Volkl Mantras and Fischer Watea seem pretty good and the Movement Zip's look interesting but I couldn't find any reviews for them.

Any advice would be great!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some real ski gear junkies will be along soon to give you some real advice but in the meantime:

I would certianally reccomend that you give the Scott Punisher's a test ski if you can. You will definitely be looking at a 191 ski for your height and weight especially in a twin.

The scotts were by far my favorite ski at a recent test and I guess that they fit you requirements fairly well as they can nore than hold thier own on piste against wannbes on race skis Very Happy as well as being a great all mountain ski.

Its just a personal opinion but I found the Movements a little bit 'dead' but then I have 10kg more onboard balast than you so its entirely possible that i was simply just too fat for them Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for that. Read the reviews and they seem to be a pretty good fit. I've never skied a 191 ski and don't have a huge amount of power in my legs so would i struggle skiing a ski that long in bumps and for shot turns on steeper stuff? From reading other reviews it seems the mantras are much more towards a powder ski so looking at the volkl kendos and line prophet 90s. Do you have any experience with either of these?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for that. Read the reviews and they seem to be a pretty good fit. I've never skied a 191 ski and don't have a huge amount of power in my legs so would i struggle skiing a ski that long in bumps and for shot turns on steeper stuff? From reading other reviews it seems the mantras are much more towards a powder ski so looking at the volkl kendos and line prophet 90s. Do you have any experience with either of these?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The punishers have pretty sft flex, so should be easy to chuck around. Mantras and Prophets are fairly stiff, so wll be more work. The Mantras aren't really a powder ski either, they're built to smash through crud and cut up snow, although reputedly they rail gs turns on piste too and have very good edge grip.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Mantras aren't really a powder ski either

(not diagreeing, just curious) - don't you think so? I thought they were rather a go anywhere ski?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Mantras aren't really a powder ski either

(not diagreeing, just curious) - don't you think so? I thought they were rather a go anywhere ski?

Exactly wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, Oh, OK, I think I see what you mean.

Although Volkl themselves say,

"The Mantra is the pinnacle product for the skier who wants to ski the deep stuff, yet still have a solid, all-mountain feel on the front of the mountain. Still unparalleled in the market, it’s the go-to ski for those who want a powder ski that is versatile enough to ski hard on groomed terrain as well."

Possibly it's a schizophrenic powder ski? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably was a bit ambiguous, I'm not saying it's a bad ski to use in powder or anything, just it's not a dedicated pure pow ski - in Volkl's range compare it to the Kuro and Chop Stick, for instance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having done more reading I think my decision is between the scott punishers, the volkl bridges and kendos and the line prophet 90's. Not an easy decision as they all seem to have lots of very good reviews. Has anyone tested one or more of these who can give me something to differentiate between them? Also are the 'rockers' in the bridges new this year or do last years have it as well as this seems to be a big plus for them?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've skied the Prophets in 179, didn't really get on with them. I'm 5 foot 9, and was just under 70kg at the time. A bit too stiff for me (at that point anyway), plus they were pretty poor in powder (they seem to have a very small 'up-turn' at the front), and tip-dived everywhere. Much prefer my Big Troubles.

OTOH, lots of people love them.

I tested the 172 punishers in a fridge a year or so ago, and really liked them. Very playful, very fun - I should really have been on the size up though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats very interesting. I'm looking to do a bit more off piste as I'm not very good at the moment so having the tips burrowing for their lives won't help. As the kendos are new this year I'm assuming its going to be hard to get a review. Are the punishers soft in the tail or do they punish you in moguls and on back of the seat landings?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hated the Mantras but I'm a lot lighter than you. Loved the Black Crow Navis and the Nordica Enforcer. Also liked the skinnier Mojo 90's and Liberty Hazmats.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamie090, you're heavier than me so you might well get less tip-dive on them than me (your weight pushes the middle down, effectively rockering the ski). The punishers are pretty soft flexing in general, sorry was a while ago that I tried them and can't remember what the tails were likely particularly.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jamie090, put Icelantic Pilgrims on your list for consideration too.
snow report
jamie090,

People who weigh around 70 kg tend to find the Mantra too stiff for their needs whereas many who weigh circa 90 kg love em. The Mantra is one of the best allround skis for heavier people. The Mantra might work for you - try before buying. Yes it costs to rent skis but you can often get the rental cost knocked off the price of the skis (agree before renting). IMO it's better to spend a week or so trying various skis and then buying later e.g. end of season. The overall cost works out about the same and you end up with a ski you like rather than a ski someone else liked.

I'd add the K2 aftershock to your list ....
http://k2skis.com/skis/all-mountain/aftershock

edit and the "Dynastar - 6th Sense Slicer"
http://blogs.powdermag.com/buyers-guide-2011/2011-dynastar-6th-sense-slicer-skis/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-12-10 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

you end up with a ski you like rather than a ski someone else liked

+1 for testing before you buy.

Most ski outlets at the fridges in the Uk will have a good range of test skis right now
latest report
From what you've suggested you are looking for and you say you haven't got the strongest legs I would say ski's like the Mantra and Prophet (90 or 100) you are going to find to be a bit stiff and hard work, of course you may like them so give them a go (I loved my Mantra's but thats my preference). As suggested above the punishers are a really good all round ski, forgiving but can be pushed, pretty manouverable, very versatile and will go in park/piste/powder just fine. Also consider the Scott mission which is a very similar ski but a little stiffer and more focused, if your not really interested in the park at all I would probably recommend the Mission over the Punisher but both are good. I tested the K2 Kung Fujas yesterday and thats a fun, forgiving and easy turning wider ski which should be fine in the moguls as well as off piste, but you may not want to go as wide as that.

I guess the question is what percentage of your time do you think you will spend on piste, in the moguls and off piste?
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. There just seem to be so many good skis for this area it's difficult to know which ones to test. Going skiing for a week over new year so I think I will take your advice and test as many as I can, although how much will it cost to take the skis out? I know some shops only give them out for an hour at a time but I'm not sure this is enough time to get a proper feel of the ski. I assume that buying a new set of skis in a ski resort is about the most expensive way to do it at the beginning of the season.

Tracle - I have been watching a lot of ski movies recently so in my mind I am going to be spending all my time skiing through waist deep prefect powder before throwing a 720 off the black kicker in the park. Realistically however I don't spend much time in the park and can't even do a 180, although I want to start spending more time there, and will spend more time on piste than off. However I want to start getting much better at the off piste so think I am willing to sacrifice a bit of on piste ability to help me when I get into the powder and crud, although I'm a bit worried about something like the mantra being too wide for me on piste. I suppose the only way to find out is to go and try. I could end up spending more money trying skis than just buying a second hand pair, but it's probably worth it.
ski holidays
Most decent ski shops should let you try the ski's out for a full day, or you could take them back at lunch and swap so you can get through more trials. Generally you won't have to pay for the ski hire at all if you buy the ski's from that shop at the end of the time (discuss this with the shop first). I spent 4 days testing ski's when I bought my old mantras and didn't pay any rent at all for that time. Make sure you choose a shop with a good range and knowledgeable staff, I often find the smaller independent shops better and more likely to negotiate deals.

I would disregard the mantra if your thinking of going in the park at all, its too stiff and not a twin tip, difficult to ride switch. If your worried about going to wide there are plenty of slightly narrower skis than this that are more than capable off piste. Equally there are wider ski's that handle better on piste/moguls than you might think, so its really a case of trying a few and seeing what your happiest with.
ski holidays
Also if you want to test some out before your trip to get a better idea Ellis Brigham have demo ski's that you can turn up and test for free at Milton Keynes and Tamworth snowdomes (you still have to pay for your slope time though). They have a few more test centres up north if your up that way but not sure where. They will aslo refund the slope fee if you buy some skis. Check their website.

Snow and rock also have test centres at places like Hemel Hempstead snowdome, but they charge £15 to test them on top of the slope fee, they will refund the £15 if you buy but not the slope fee.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy