Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jumping Out of the Ski Lifts....

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody ever jumped out of the ski lift before it got to the end station,

me and my bro always talk about it but now i want to do it XD

i need tips, strategies and anything i can have =D
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not very considerate to other people who are riding the lift at the same time as you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean a chairlift or telecabine? My advice is don't do it as it often means that the lift get stopped and it bugs it up for everyone else! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
louisrumball,
Why?
Have you got some wierd form of tourettes?
Just lift the bar and jump. Its also known as natural selection. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I heard that if the lifties see/catch you they'll have your lift pass for jumping off lifts. Although i saw an ESF instructor do it right infront of the liftie and he didn't even seem remotely bothered.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have seen tracks where nutters have jumped off the Leissiers Express at the top of the ridge Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, yes, I've noticed that. Perhaps they were scared of the ride down Shocked Shocked . Great view, but I find I get nervous descending on a chairlift.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I jumped off a chair lift in one of the minor Zillertal resorts once - after it had been stationary for about 25 minutes!!! It was only about 15foot drop, into a fair depth of powder. took another 25 minutes to find my ski's with everyone on the lift watching, but the lift was still stopped when I finally skied off.

I have also fallen off a T-bar in the middle of nowhere in 3 valleys, and striggled to find my way back to the piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I have seen tracks where nutters have jumped off the Leissiers Express at the top of the ridge Shocked Shocked

Do you mean the new and higher lift or the old one where you almost touched ski's over the top?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
daehwons, the new, fast one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
el nombre wrote:
I heard that if the lifties see/catch you they'll have your lift pass for jumping off lifts. Although i saw an ESF instructor do it right infront of the liftie and he didn't even seem remotely bothered.

I don't think the lifties have the right to confiscate your pass in Europe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

I've been on it when a couple did just that (although it was on the old 3-seater not the current detachable chair). It was very unpleasant as it send waves up and down the cable when the two guys unloaded at the top of the ridge.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, we were riding with BernardC and Jonpim. I could swear the Oirishman was eyeing it up!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:

Europe is more than one country y'know. Each with their own laws and customs. I think you are effectively right for France, or rather to date, piste patrollers can't be bothered pulling lift passes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw some guys jump out of the Vanoise Express on you tube

http://youtube.com/v/6s9ZVysbE6I&NR=1
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
el nombre wrote:

I think they can, in some places even instructors can. Not 100% sure... but I have been told a few times that in Italy it's possible, so it may be possible in other places...

The reason that they may pull your pass for jumping off a chairlift is the subsequent bounce, from the weight change, *could* (potentially) lift the chairlift cable off it's runners, subsequently dropping all of the chairs... Not good.

I did it once, years ago, and long before I understood the consequences of doing it. Whatever, find a cliff / rock to drop, the momentum is better for the landing anyway - which means you can hit a bigger drop. I wouldn't do it again, whether the above is true or not, what's the point? Murphy's Law, a la Ringmaster, means you'll tw4t yourself anyway.
snow conditions
well just to clear things up, i dont mean like on a massive placked lift at peak time, i mean like on the little remote lifts at the end of the day or something

and they can take your lift pass in SOME resorts in france, i asked last year but unless you did something illegal, they have to give you your money back,

and even if they do want to take my pass, how are the going to know who i am, where i am if im on the middle of a ski lift?
latest report
There was an old two seater chairlift in Courmayeur that went quite close to the ground in a popular off-piste area and judging by the marks in the snow beneath, quite a few people had jumped out there, rather than wait to get to the top.
snow report
louisrumball wrote:

and even if they do want to take my pass, how are the going to know who i am, where i am if im on the middle of a ski lift?

Because the other people on the lift you've endangered will phone patrol with your description or be better skiers than you and chase you down the mountain for a beatdown.
snow report
Quote:

Because the other people on the lift you've endangered will phone patrol with your description or be better skiers than you and chase you down the mountain for a beatdown.

thats why i want to do it when nobody is on the lift, and plus how is jumping off endangering anybody other than myself, i ovb will wont do it if i have someone next to me, and i won't jump ON someone, so if they are petty enough to chase me down or phone me in then let them, because im not the grassing nob spoiling other peoples fun.

and lol @ beatdown
snow report
louisrumball,

So its the end of the day you've the lift to yourself off you pop land bad and injure yourself. When do you expect to get found is it fair to the rescuers to have to go rescue you from an awkward location at the end of the day.......................and you are not the nob spoiling other peoples fun Puzzled
Is the terrain you want to ski really that good or otherwise inaccessible or do you just want to jump out of a lift?
ski holidays
louisrumball wrote:
... and plus how is jumping off endangering anybody other than myself

Well, according to Parlor:
Quote:
... the subsequent bounce, from the weight change, *could* (potentially) lift the chairlift cable off it's runners, subsequently dropping all of the chairs... Not good.
snow report
They definitely won't find you if you cover up with a *stupid* looking disguise. Something like this would be PERFECT.

ski holidays
daehwons, the new, fast one.
Shocked

I used to see tracks with the old one, can't say I have with the new one, but maybe I haven't been on it often enough, you're timing would have to be damn good!
latest report
bless guys, louisrumball's probably a 14yo boy who thinks it's cool to do stupid stuff. we've all been there in some form or another growing up.

if louisrumball's not a 14yo boy, then wtf dude - grow up.
snow report
sherlock235, I like thought so! So like he has not enough experience like! Cool like and like enjoying a beat up like. And sure like its not gonna like hurt anyone but me me like. He obviously knows like the workings like of a complex piece of engineering like!

More time in ski school or if he is a good skier another form of education like. wink
ski holidays
rite i am not 14 and i do not need to grow up, leave that to me thanks, and sorry if im the open minded (not boring) one. who wnats to try something new, god i dont need to get the poo-poo ripped out of me for it, i havent even done anything wrong yet.

Thats why im asking. Be Nice please! sake.

And
Quote:

They definitely won't find you if you cover up with a *stupid* looking disguise. Something like this would be PERFECT.

And its not the outfit man, its the skier.
latest report
take yer boots off first, otherwise ya might snap yer legs off at the boot top
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

take yer boots off first, otherwise ya might snap yer legs off at the boot top

THANKYOU!

Someone who is not constant abuse or just slating me
snow conditions
louisrumball, You could do it on the Leissiers Express in Val d'Isere as described above

Here is a pic With good deptths the drop would be about 2 metres. There would be no bounce as the lift is an "up and over ride" and you could get off at the top without any effect onn the rope as it runs over pylons at the stage.

The down side is that you may well die.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, link to pic not working Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
RPF, 'tis for me Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Someone who is not constant abuse or just slating me

Its only cause we love ya Blush
ski holidays
Quote:

You could do it on the Leissiers Express in Val d'Isere as described above

Here is a pic With good deptths the drop would be about 2 metres. There would be no bounce as the lift is an "up and over ride" and you could get off at the top without any effect onn the rope as it runs over pylons at the stage.

The down side is that you may well die.

Yeah the death bit might be a problem, i am surprised that there is not a company or something that takes people on tours that do "safe" lift drops.

But i wanted to do it on a small lift, one of the ones that go really close to the off piste powder, but i don't want to jump on a bit i can just ski to, im not taking the risk if there is no need. I want to jump to a bit that nobody has skied before. I want it to be worth the risk.
ski holidays
louisrumball, come skiing with me. I can think of 2 snowHeads that have "dismounted" ealry when riding a lift with me Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

come skiing with me. I can think of 2 snowHeads that have "dismounted" ealry when riding a lift with m

OH WHAT?!

I would love to lol,

how was it? How did it go? was it worth it?
ski holidays
louisrumball, come skiing with me. I can think of 2 snowHeads that have "dismounted" ealry when riding a lift with me Toofy Grin

Laughing
latest report
Jean Claude Killy has a cautionary story about that. He tells in his autobiography that he once jumped off a chair lift at a ridge where it passed close to the ground - in order to ski some untracked snow. Unfortunately his jacket caught on the seat as he slid over, and he was carried off over a big drop dangling by a bit of his jacket.
snow report
Quote:

and he was carried off over a big drop dangling by a bit of his jacket.

Kinda put me off a bit. lol
snow conditions

I might have a dirty mind, but was that 'dismounted' in a post coital sense or 'dismounted' in an off the chair sense. If its the former please supply more details as it would appear to be a harder technique to master than simply raising the bar and leaning forward
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy