Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any thoughts on Valloire?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What's it like as a resort? Sister in laws husband has access to a place there and is offering it to us for a holiday. How's it for children (who can ski)? What's the nearest airport and what about transfers?
Any views or comments on it as a resort? Does it have a good snow record as we may well end up being there at Easter, which I know is late? Anythoughts positive or negative just to help me sell this one to the family!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have a place there, its a great resort, traditional french farming village, good restaurants (Chez Fred my Fav), a few good bars and a good intermediate ski area. Mostly french clientelle so some french is a big help. The ski area is pretty snow sure and tends to pick up storms from both the north and the south, its is set over 2 valleys and 3 mountains with 70% of the skiing being above 2000m so there should be no problems, although as a lot of the area is west facing at easter the afternoons can get a little slushy on the way home. We were there in the 2 week of April last year and there was still 2m of snow at the top of Setaz and on the Grand Paltaue and we had a powder day thrown into the mix, although last season was pretty exceptional. The skiing is a mix of trees and open bowls and has some pretty good off piste that is usually barely touched, but best to hire a guide if you do not know the area as some lovely descents take you to some big cliffs! Apparantly the ESF instructors struggle a little with their English but have only heard that second hand. The nearest airport is Chambery (90mins), Grenoble is 2hrs 20 as is Turin (although you have to pay to go through the Frejus Tunnel). You could also do Geneva in about 2 hrs 20 but I have never done it. There are transfers from Grenoble and Chambery on saterdays, I think the details are on the resort website.

All in all a great place to slide! Little Angel snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey JimSearle, thanks that's great info - exactly what I wanted to hear. French shouldn't be a problem (I'm hopeless but my wife speaks it and the in-law who's setting this up and will be coming is French, so we'll get by). How long have you had a place there, do you let it out? Do many brit tour operators go there? Last few years we've been to Puy Saint Vincent which we love as it's traditional French and not so touristy - the children have had good lessons there too. We're off there again this season, but as I say, there's also this possible opportunity which I'd like to take up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I dont think there are many tour operators that go there if any? Have certainly never come across large numbers of brits either on the mountain or in town. We have a had a place there for about 6 years, its not let out as it is constantly in use with family and friends. Valloire is really nice in the summer and pretty busy with the biking and hiking crowds so was a good all year round buy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have been a couple of times and would certainly go again. More ski area than I expected and a far more lively and bustling village than expected. We drove from grenoble airport which we find easier and less stress than geneva.
The only negatives I can come up with are that some of the lifts are quite slow (although there are two quick quads in critical places thankfully) and a couple of very long drags (but these can be avoided if need be. Everything else is positive.
Dont hesitate take up the offer asap
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Learnt to ski in Valloire and have very fond memories of the place. It is a proper working village. Good selection of shops, restaurants, market,church, etc. Went on a school trip with Skibound and stayed in the Plein Sud hotel. Don't think many other operators go there. Flew into Lyon and transfer was about 3 hours. Our children were about 12 and 14 when we went there and they loved it too. Think there is an ice rink and a cinema too? Do go - great place.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy