Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which hard shell ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Im after a hard shell jacket suitable for ski mountaineering & ice climbing this winter.

Does anyone have any advice or technical knowledge of the following hard shells or can recommend something od equal quality I should add too the shortlist ?

Arc'teryx Alpha sv , Haglofs Spitz or Mammut Shisha pangma.

Regards Mark Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Topsmoke, Spitz for me but I doubt you'll go wrong with any of them.

The Spitz is supposed to be pretty lightweight but I haven't seen this years yet.
I'll get the Spitz or the Couloir but I doubt the latter will work for you. It seems a pretty warm softshell with lots of overdone features.
I wanted to see them in Wales but the shop didn't have any in stock.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
keela Munro - if it's good enough for the Scottish weather...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Though I have not done ice-climbing, I would second the comment about the Keela Munro. A fantastic jacket, which performs well, and has everything you need. A classic case of less-expensive is not always inferior.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Topsmoke,

I have now Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Topsmoke,

If you are very active and sweat more than a fat lass in a sauna then the eVent fabric breaths better than Goretex XCR in my and many other people's opinion.

http://www.eventfabrics.com/find_eVent.php
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Topsmoke, I've got a mens large size Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV XCR shell for sale that's done just 4 weeks of skiing if you're interested?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Topsmoke, i have NF XCR and now Arcteryx pro shell and the pro shell is hugely more breathable and although kinda feels like you are only wearing a crisp packet is surprisingly warm....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT wrote:

I have now Laughing

And thoughts JT ?????????

The Video of the Spitz at http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Haglofs_Spitz_Mens_Jacket.html makes it look very good indeed and I think this is the one for me .
It seems too be one hell of a good jacket for the price.

Regards Mark Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I changed to a Mountain Equipment Changabang XCR Jacket last year - the thing is fantastic, doesn't get tangled with a harness, lightweight and just does the job.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Second on the Changabang. It is a really well thought out piece of kit, especially if you are skiing with a harness on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for the Keela. It is simple and functional and does a superb job. If you want bells and whistles then you probably want to look elsewhere....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got the ME changabang also. It's a winner for sure
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was recommended Keela by Snowheads and found that it stood well up to the challenge on an Icelandic Glacier at around -16C with the wind blowing ferociously. The design of having pockets that you can get into that are 'out of harms way' by your breast pocket work especially well when my wife was insisting i take pictures. The hood with its wired peak also makes a big difference. Another tick here.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Topsmoke, Alpha SV wink
The Shisha and Spitz both ride up badly, when compared to the Arc' at the waist when climbing.
Another one well worth trying on is the Rab Super Dru which IMO is as good as the Alpha SV.
ski holidays
I bought the Changabang two years ago and used and abused it but it still kept coming back for more. Beautifully thought out jacket, the hood is amazing (better than anything you get on the Arc'Teryx or TNF) very lightweight and has all the pockets you need.

FYI: I upgraded from an overpriced and overhyped TNF Freethinker which has a hood that barely covers your head even without an helmet and is so stiff that it restricts movement. The tape used for the seams was huge and would've made it less breathable than the microtape used in the Changabang or Arc'Teryx. I also think Arc'Teryx is a fine brand, in fact I have their Theta SV Bib in Gore Tex Pro Shell and they are amazing.

The only negative about the jacket is the powderskirt which could have a little gripper elastic for my liking. I have overcome this with the inclusion of the Arc'teryx bib.
latest report
PowderHunter,

With decent Thetas, I find a powder skirt redundant anyway..it just gets in the way, IMV
snow conditions
JT, The Chang powder skirt is a zip out so is easily ditched.
snow report
Scarpa, mine isn't Confused
latest report
Mosha Marc, I think they may have changed the design a couple of years ago. The XCR version is only 680g now, a touch lighter than the Pro Shell I think. Not much in it really, it was only minor changes that were made. The hood is one of the best I've tried... follows your head movements with minimal drag.
latest report
does anyone else never remember or even really understand the difference - hard shell, soft shell etc etc Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
barry, Hard shell is when the drunken winos in Fort William try to get you to buy them another can of special brew Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy