Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Bansko the business?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I'm new to snowheads, and haven't ever set foot in a pair of ski-boots - But despite this, I am planning what will hopefully be a wicked ski trip in Bulgaria for January-February 2009. I've done a bit of research, and Bansko looks like its the place to go (is it???). There will be a large group of us going, some newbies, some pros - bit of a mix. So I'm looking for any little pearls of wisdom you guys would like to shed on the matter, and hopefully answer these questions:

* when is the best time to book? way in advance, or wait for the last minute bargains?
* what is the best resort in Bulgaria - is Bansko the goods?
* what sort of accom can we expect to find?

Any insights would be fantastic,

cheers
xx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mushmush wrote:

I've done a bit of research, and Bansko looks like its the place to go
Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mushmush, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never been, but cheap and (mostly) cheerful seems to be a typical response from those who have visited. Good luck with your first ski trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The accomadation should be nice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mushmush, sorry, very rude of me, welcome to snowheads.

I've never been either, but it is supposed to be good for beginners & early intermediates. I've heard queues at Feb half term can be horrendous. You should be able to get a good last minute deal if you are going in January.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi mushmush, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

If there are some in your group who have been skiing before, I would consult with them as to whether they think Bansko would suit them. There's been lots written here about the resort - the Search function isn't that obvious to use. Here's some views from earlier in the year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37449&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bansko&start=0 and here's the search results for Bansko http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results if you have a look at some of the other threads.

Have fun wherever you go Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Bansko and wouldn't have a problem with going again - I've also been to Pamporovo & won't be bothering going there again - but, I like Bulgaria. Bansko is actually a nice little town seemingly ruined by a load of corrupt money making ne'er do wells, you'll find places to ski, places to eat and drink and most likely meet decent people and have a good time.

Totally depends on what you want from a ski trip?

With regards booking, are you planning a tour operator or diy? For a large group as soon as possible would most likely be sensible, last minute bargains might not get you all there. Though I don't think you'd have any trouble with accommodation (bit of a surplus if reports are to be believed!) convenient flights could be problematic.

Can't comment on Borovets or Vitosha, looked at Chepalare, it's dead cute, sooo tiny.

Accommodation can be anything from decent hotel right next to the gondola, some decent apartments & studios dotted around or half built & dangerous apartment with no road or pavement to the door (advertised as 10 mins from the gondola usually!)

I'd like to suggest: if you're thinking of TO for this trip, you use them to book your lift pass but find an independent outfit for your equipment rental and ski school. I'd not like to publicly say anything detrimental about the ulen way of doing things but 15-20 people to a group, in badly fitted gear falling all over the place doesn't inspire confidence!

There's a snowHead with an apartment/chalet in Bansko isn't there? They'll know more than me Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mushmush, what was it that attracted you to Bulgaria mush?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plenty of first timers seem to like it, otherwise there is a split between those who think its ok, those who say never again and those who would never consider it.

How much of this is snobbery and how much it "cheapest isn't necessarily best value" I don't know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey man

Yeah I've done the whole Bulgaria Ski trip. Personally speaking I would avoid the Febuary time in Bansko its full of parents taking their kids skiing and you cannot get on the ski lifts I'm not joking either. The place is nice though I have to admit, its got a few good pistes and that caters for all the skill ranges. However do bare in mind if you are a skilled skier you may find the choice somewhat limited. More importantly when you go make sure you book the ski gear you need in advance it very pricey to book on the day or close to it. I think you would have a good time in Bansko. But to be honest I had the better time in Borovets the Samaokov ( My spelling is slightly off) hotel is opposite the ski gondola as the main square which is 5 minutes to walk. But same rules apply for both book your equipment earlier through the local english speaking ski schools. The hotel is not to bad, though there are ones which are further away more like 10 mins walk are plush to. Most of the ones come with spa and mineral baths so its noce to relax to once you've been out skiing. Plus once you come from the airport some will organise transfers as part of the deal. Bulgaria is awesome when it comes to food its both fresh and well made in the hotels. My advice book a decent hotel and treat yourself, trust me you will live like a rock star out there the food is cheap and really nice. Plus you can walk to some really nice pubs and resteraunts which arn't to far away. If your on a budget then get an apartment rented and eat out thats the best way of doing things. As for flights Luton are your best bet via Wizz air cheap and cheerful it does the job. Also try Easyjet both are comparative. Hope this helps. Blush
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mushmush, Welcome to snowHead 's

I would take cathy, 's advice and enquire from your buddies in the group that have skied before if Bansko would suit them! For a beginner I am sure that it has everything you need, snow, instruction, a few beers in the evening etc. Alas it may not be what some of the "pros" in the group may require. Find out if they would be happy with the choice! If so book it!

With a large group we have always had to book up early as it is not always possible to leave it to the last minute and get a bargain. As others have said you should not have a problem with accomodation as there seems to be a lot for rent. Flights may be a different matter, but if you are going with a TO they too may also have a lot of accomodation.

Have fun wherever you decide on!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow. Awesome response! Thanks so much everyone.

We want to go to Bulgaria, mainly cos its cheap - I looked at some chalets in France and Switzerland, and it would make more sense taking out a mortgage than staying there. Having said that, I've heard that Bansko doesn't have all that many ski runs. Does Borovets have more ski runs than Bansko?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mushmush, it's probably best to do some research on the resorts rather than asking here - snowHead are ideal for personal recommendations, tips, and specific advice, but for the technical info on a resort, there's nothing to beat a bit of Googling and some judicious use of the free resources out there, e.g.:

Bansko resort guide from SCGB - 70km, pistes = 5 beginner, 8 intermediate, 1 advanced
Borovets resort guide from SCGB - 58Km, pistes=5/11/5

Basically, if you like skiing one side of one hill for a week, it will be fine.

Otherwise, for the cost conscious, go DIY to Austria - cheap flights with the no-frills carriers and some flag carriers, cheap B&B or self-catering accommodation, food and drinks which are cheaper than France or Switzerland and (arguably) better than Bulgaria, and a skiing area which is likely to be 5-10 times as big, and with the same number of people on it, complete with hire kit which is in good condition and less than 2 years old.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mushmush, welcome to snowHeads. Have fun - just don't buy any property out there!
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHead mushmush, although I can't comment on Bansko as I've never been or looked into it really.

I stumbled across this deal the other day, I thought it might be of interest to you:
http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski/Prices.aspx?type=acc&code=BAN:I6499
snow report
mushmush, some Bansko photos from last Feb if that helps...

ski holidays
mushmush wrote:
Wow. Awesome response! Thanks so much everyone.

We want to go to Bulgaria, mainly cos its cheap - I looked at some chalets in France and Switzerland, and it would make more sense taking out a mortgage than staying there. Having said that, I've heard that Bansko doesn't have all that many ski runs. Does Borovets have more ski runs than Bansko?

It has a few more runs than Bansko. to be hoest you've got a better chance of skiing and having a good time there
snow report
mushmush, Not been to Bansko myself but I did my first ever ski trip to Pamporovo last year and I found it great for a beginner, the big plus is you can eat out and drink for 1/2 the price or less than the alps. If you want lots of specific information about Bansko or Bulgaria In general try this site http://www.skidvd.co.uk/forum/index.php . Ask in the forum or just search the trip reports.
latest report
Hi Mushmush,
we have a chalet out in Bansko and would say that Jan is probably the best time to come - it's lovey and quiet which means the beginners can concentrate on learning and not having to avoid other beginners on the slopes and we usually have very good snow, which means the professionals(!) in your group would be able to have a good go at the off-piste out here which is pretty extensive.
Accommodation varies quite a lot, as Bulgarian standards are not quite the same as UK ones so it is worth doing your homework, but the prices both on and off the mountain mean that you will be spending quite a bit less than you would in the bigger resorts. It's also worth checking that your accommodation has a free ski bus to take you to and from the lift as it can be a pain lugging your equipment around.
We chose Bansko because it has all new lifts compared to the other Bulgarian resorts, which are being brought up to date and a lovely traditional old town and some really good nightlife (we have to live here)!
Vitosha is great, more of an intermediate resort and there is not as much English spoken there at the mo, it's heaving at the weekends and national holidays but is empty the rest of the time. Close to Sofia so if you could get a short mid-week break it's perfect.
Pamporovo is pretty but very small and beginner orientated and they don't get that much snow so I would only go for last minute deals when you know the snow is there.
I like Borovets, the lifts are a bit geriatric and it is about the same size as Bansko maybe a few km smaller, but the nightlife is probably the best out of the Bulgarian resorts - depends what you are after, it's also a bit pricier than Bansko but still much cheaper than Western Europe!
Hope that's useful!
ski holidays
Been to Bansko and Borovets 3 times. Great fun, cheaper than France etc. Look at Bulgariaski website and read their forum very lively as the season gets underway and loads of peeps that know loads about the resorts in Bulgaria.
latest report
Last year reports on this forum declared Bankso as the next val d'Isere. As it's on the internet, it must be true.
ski holidays
I think you'll struggle to beat Bulgaria on price. Have you considered Andorra Puzzled
ski holidays
Bansko is great for first timers all of the instructors speak excelent english. however i have gone for the last two years and the first year there were very little queue 5 - 10 mins max for morning gondala however second year we were queueing for 45mins - 1 hour.
would also be carefull about food as last time all of us came down ith food poisening.

most importantly book ski equitment in advance because they usaly run out.
snow report
mushmush wrote:
There will be a large group of us going, some newbies, some pros - bit of a mix.

Bansko is not the resort for you then.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
mushmush wrote:
There will be a large group of us going, some newbies, some pros - bit of a mix.

Bansko is not the resort for you then.

Depends what he meant by pros? Could fit in extremely well......from what I've heard.....allegedly..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
My mate went last season on a stag bash and said he woiuld never go there again for skiing no matter how cheap it is, ................. alternatively from a stag bash point of view there were plenty of whores in the clubs etc and you could score some stuff from the guy knicknamed 'charlie' at the supermarket check-out Shocked

edit - it might have been Borrovets though Embarassed
snow report
I've skied there plenty of times as we had a family owned apartment there. I've also skied extensivly throughout Europe. I/we will never go back to Bansko again, the apartment is for sale. The over development, corruption and greed has ruined the place. The locals can be sullen, rude and only interested in ripping the Brits off. It's not even particularly cheap, a deal in a decent central European resort would be a much nicer experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Pamps 2 years ago and skied on tarmac (u must try it) and went to Bansko last year and had to wait 30 to 40 mins for the gondala in the morning. Hotel was nice and the food ok. Lots of people who were generally ignorant and not as cheap as I thought but I didnt go to the" local places for local people".

Would I go back....done it now maybe Borr next time though but wouldnt go if I was advanced.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy