Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners resort in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Taking my parents (Late 50s), Auntie and Friend (Late 40s) on their first ski trip Jan 09. Would like to go to an Austrian resort.

Maybe: St Johan, Kitz, Westendorf, Soll?

Not to bothered about myself this time. Just need a good resort for beginners.

Budget: £650.00 to incl flights, transfers, H/B (No chalets) Lift Pass, Ski/ Boot hire and tuition from Belfast.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ZaS ??? Surprised that's not on your list Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Westendorf would be a good choice so far as the slopes are concerned; lots of very pretty, easy skiing. They might want to get the bubble down as the run down is one of the trickier ones, but otherwise ideal. Dull for you, but there you go. This si based on one short day's visit, but we skied most of the resort in that time. I think it should be better joined to the rest of Ski Welt by next season, BTW. I have no idea what the town of Westendorf is like.

Kitzbuhel is a pleasant town as ski towns go, especially for old timers, with some very comfy hotels. Good skiing for beginners and much more for you than in Westendorf. The nurserys are on the edge of the town, then it's up the gondola to plenty of easy stuff. Again, the gondola down will probably be the idea for the forst few days at least. Not sure how it will fit your budget, as it's not cheap. There are some reasonable and comfortable pensions; DIY might be a good option.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, Two Austrian resorts excellent for beginners are Alpbach and Westendorf.
Incidentally, I believe both have been voted "The prettiest village in Austria" - work that one out Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, it's probably like 'oldest pub in England'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno,

Although I really liked Zell, I don't think it would be great for beginners.

Alastair Pink,

Is the village of Alpbach close to it's slopes?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is Kolsass-Weer still there?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy wrote:

Alastair Pink,

Is the village of Alpbach close to it's slopes?

The nursery slopes are right in the middle of the village, near to the Church. Madeye-Smiley
More info on Alpbach here

Info on Westendorf here
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy, Neiderau is another good resort for beginners. And again, the nursery slopes are right in the village.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, I think Zell is great for beginners. If you use Schuttdorf and the Ariet lift, then there is a good progression of slopes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney,

Yes Neiderau is coming up in my price range. Looks very small though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is small, but surprisingly popular. A lot of people seem to return there year after year. Including some quite experienced skiers.

Auffach is also on the same lift pass, a 20 minute free bus ride away for those who want a bit more skiing. The whole valley is very pretty and very friendly.

I acn't really speak for the quality of skiing from personal experience, since the tine I went there was the "snow drought" in January 2007, and we had to take the bus 50 minutes to Kaltenbach for the first 5 days, and only had two runs open on the final day Sad

According to the locals, that was the worst conditions they had seen since 1987.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy wrote:
IncogSkiSno,

Although I really liked Zell, I don't think it would be great for beginners.

There's loads of dead easy slopes there surely?

BTW, isn't this thread in the wrong part of the forum?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Zell as a noobie. I had previously only had one full days tuition at Xscape and went with a group of weak one weekers and Zell was ideal.
However I was the only one to ski the Black to the base of the City Express Gondola into town. The rest just didnt fancy it. Its no hardship to come down on the short gondola ride.
Overall nothing too challenging there and for me it gives people who are new to skiing and the mountains a great first impression. Its a very picturesque place.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've had good reports from newbies who have been to Alpbach and Niederau - both small pretty villages with easy slopes. Skiing will be limited for you but you say you're not too bothered about that.
snow report
Look into Lermoos and Berwang. Great skiing for beginner through intermediate. Wonderful charming atmosphere. Not very crowded. Easily accessable from Munich or Innsbruck. Prices probably lower than average. The multi-day pass also covers Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the Zugspitze. Lots of history and charm there.
snow conditions
Kuehtai

All based around the village, some decent skiing for you, and superb for beginners. Magic carpet, great sweeping runs on the drei Seen run, friendly..... and cheap. Near the airport, a little nightlife, but nice village feel. Always snow there- Austria's highest resort.

http://www.lifte.at/kuhtai_en/index.php
ski holidays
Heard Kühtai is also a great place for ski touring too.
latest report
It claims to be the centre of ski touring for Austria. Never tried it myself - I prefer lifts!
snow report
15 peaks above 2500m looks good Cool although it's mainly red pistes so might be a bit much for absolute beginners.

Quote:
Peak Height Duration Startpoint
Hinterer Grieskogel 2673 m 2 Stunden ab Kühtai
Wetterkreuz 2578 m 3 Stunden ab Untere Issalm
Schafleger 2405 m 2.5 Stunden ab Gasthof Bergheim Sellrain
Mitterzaigerkogel 2629 m 2 Stunden ab Haggen oder Kühtai
Kraspesspitze 2953 m 3.5 Stunden ab Kühtai, Finstertal
Kreuzjochkogel 2750 m 2.5 Stunden ab Haggen und Kühtai
Vorderer Grieskogel 2666 m 2 Stunden ab Kühtai
Roter Kogel 2834 m 4 Stunden ab Gasthof Bergheim
Finstertaler Schartenkopf 2854 m 3 Stunden ab Kühtai, Finstertal
Rosskogel 2649 m 5 Stunden ab St. Quirin, Sellrain
Hintere Karlesspitze 2636 m 3 Stunden ab Untere Ißalm
Lisenser Spitze 3230 m 4.5 Stunden ab Gasthof Lisens
Sömen 2798 m 4 Stunden ab Gasthof Bergheim
Schartkopf 2829 m 5 Stunden ab St. Sigmund
Wildkopf 2472 m 4.5 Stunden ab Gasthof Bergheim
Die Mute 2396 m 1.3 Stunden ab Kühtai, Alpenrose

http://www3.innsbruck.info/sellraintal/skitourenfuehrer/weitere.htm
ski holidays
What about Obergurgl or Hochgurgl - good skiing for beginners and more experienced.
snow report
erica2004,

Looks good, but can't find anything inside my budget.

This one is coming in on budget. Close to the slopes. I'd rather be right on the slopes than in the centre. Quite like a walk in the evenings.

http://www.directski.com/ski/austria/niederau/hotel_harfenwirt

Anyone been? Thinking of 31st Jan.
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
erica2004,

Looks good, but can't find anything inside my budget.

This one is coming in on budget. Close to the slopes. I'd rather be right on the slopes than in the centre. Quite like a walk in the evenings.

http://www.directski.com/ski/austria/niederau/hotel_harfenwirt

Anyone been? Thinking of 31st Jan.

Johnboy,

I learned in niederau many moons ago, looks like it has lost none of its charm. Harfenwirt is a bit of a distance from the lifts and beginners slopes. Try hotel Staffler or Vicky.
snow report
How about Kirchdorf?
It's all inclusive - half board, ski hire, lift passes and school included in the price. The instructors are great. You get a 3 day local pass and a 3 day schneewinkle pass in the price and can upgrade to the full area pass for only a few euros for the six days if you want. The ski bus is very good, free throughout the region - Steinplatte is only 15 mins away.
It's a very quiet village, but St Johann is nearby if you want full apres.
It would probably be well within your budget, even allowing for transfers from belfast.
I went last year with mrs Spurs for our first skiing holiday (both late 40's), and can fully recommend it.
I'd get them both to a snowdome for a day before going, money well spent IMO.
snow conditions
youspurs1,

Kirchdorf is a chair and a short hop down and that is the skiing which would sort the beginners out quite well but wouldn't do johnboy any good at all as he would have to bus to Steinlpatte or St Johann..which again isn't so much a problem in itself but he will be skiing far away from everone and maybe on his own... so can't even meet up for a drink off the slopes

Westerndof sounds good and compact... plenty to amuse you there althou not for a week as an advanced skier. You'd have to look quite hard and might not be a great idea on your own.

Any of the Ski Welt resorts should do fine...

A place I liked but can not recall what it would be like for beginners is Feberbrunn...

Or if you would consider Switzerland...try Meiringen-Hasliberg www.meiringen-hasliberg.ch/ -
the lifts aren't the very closest and walk uphill...IIRC.. but a great little place
snow conditions
JT,
Yup, but johnboy said he wasn't bothered about his own skiing.
At Kirchdorf the lessons are 4 hrs per day, ideal for total beginners. Johnboy can spend as much time fooling around on the very limited slope there as he likes, but can also go to Steinplatte or Fieberbrun for better runs. It really is very easy on the bus - every hour, more or less on the dot, from the stop outside the Alphof hotel which is right next to the nursery slopes.
I was thinking about the beginners when I suggested Kirchdorf, because it's so small, it's quiet - perfect for learning. Nobody goes there apart from the beginners and a few locals on their day off, but it's still good for decent skiing if you don't mind a short bus ride. Most important, the resort and school is specifically aimed at beginners.
snow report
Johnboy could always learn to snowboard, or telemark.
latest report
Elizabeth B,

That's actually a really good idea. Always wanted to try boarding, but usually want to knock up the miles skiing. This could be a perfect opportunity. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Johann in Tirol is a lovely base for beginners. Only issue is it's low at 650m. The Kitzbuhler Horn has skiing up to 1,700m on the St Johann side (it is the reverse side and a different lift pass to Kitzbuhel itself). We had awesome snow when we visited in Jan 06 (107cm/150cm) but the snow history here shows you should have plenty on the upper slopes in Jan, but at the bottom is could be hit and miss. A nice little town though with everything you could need as a beginner in Austria. As with most Austrian resorts, they are mainly grass fields, so you only need a few cm of snow to get skiing.

St Johann in Tirol - Jan 06
ski holidays
johnboy, Just seeing your post now - been to Soll a few times out of Belfast. Good area and would be good for beginners as long as they have the snow. One beginners area at town level and another up the gondola. If you do decide on Soll make sure you use Edingers ski garage right under the gondola station and not the one down the hill used by the main tour operators. Town is very pleasant and good mountain catering - cheap too by French standards.
latest report
Seefeld
latest report
johnboy, I thought you were going to Selva.
snow report
I've always been of the persuasion that beginners should learn somewhere hard. But as above St Johann in Tirol would be good, plus you get a chance to go off and do some better skiing yourself, and the new pass they're doing at kitzbuhle covers a massive area
ski holidays
youspurs1 wrote
Quote:
How about Kirchdorf?

I have been Kirchdorf & thought it was a dreadful place Sad , hardly more skiing than a snowdome & the other side of the main road.
But I met people who had been there year after year (why Puzzled ) only blessing was the all inclusive price & the bus to Steinplatte.

I learnt in Niederau & loved it. Very Happy Enough skiing for novice. Nice small village friendliness. Auffach is on same lift pass & is a decent size. Had next to no snow Jan 2007 but that was unusual. Why not wait for the snow, there should be late deals for Jan.
snow conditions
jb1970,

Yes, now off to Selva. The beginners bailed out!
ski holidays
Lechbob, Kirchdorf was the only place I'd been when this question was asked, and johnboy wanted somewhere that was great for 1st timers.
Agreed, it's a very small area - but that is part of it's beauty for total beginners in that there were only the students there.
Also, it's all inclusive, so you get half board, ski hire, school and passes in the price. You need to be lucky with snow when you're there because it's 800m, but Steinplatte and Fieberbrun are only minutes away.
Some poeple do go year on year, I think that's because of the value - if you're anything other than a low intermediate the instructors will take you away from the nursury slopes after the first day.
The school puts on a show every week, which is nice for beginners to see, there's the race and free presentation disco on the friday, and all of the instructors are very caring. We went for two weeks for our first ever skiing holiday, and had three instructors in total. During our 2nd week, our instructors from the 1st week would seek us out in the Alphof bar at the end of each day and sit with us for a while to see how we were getting on.
I'd still recommend it to anyone seeking a destination for a first ski trip.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy