Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dakine High Roller Board Bag-well board suitcase is more like it

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya

I'm confused.......

Having read on another thread about board bags and wheelie bags a while back now and the merits of the Dakine High Roller 165, I've just bought one of them to transport my board next season and thought why not get this one so I can put loads of other stuff in it as well, thus eliminating or reducing the possibility of having to take a kit bag as usual as well as a ski/board bag.

I'm driving to France in December for quite a long trip, so baggage charges aren't a concern then as not flying. Thought this one would be better to take instead of just a board cover because then I can take one suitcase/kit bag in the car and because I'll need more than 1 week's worth of stuff then I can fill this High Roller with the skis and the board, the board boots and the other stuff I need instead of taking 2 suitcases/kit bags in the car, a ski bag, a boot bag and a board cover if you get what I mean. This case is way bigger than my board which is 156, but my skis are slightly bigger 168 and I was going to chuck them in there as well for my trip to France.

It's just arrived and I'm truly amazed just how big it actually is!

Now I need to know how much it can weigh before I will get heavy baggage charges imposed on flights when I fly another time. I know it varies from airline to airline but any info on this from those in the know would be appreciated. I think I might have to send it back because it looks too big to be allowed on as sporting equipment luggage!

BA say re sporting equipment:-

Equipment must be packed in a travel case specifically designed for that piece of equipment.

One piece of sporting equipment should weigh no more than 23kg* and should not exceed the dimensions (H+W+L): 158cm (62in).
* From November 2008, a flat fee of £25 GBP will be applied to bags weighing more than 23kg (51lbs). This charge is to cover the additional handling that bags weighing over 23kg (51lbs) can attract. Until this charge is implemented, we will continue to accept a single piece of baggage weighing up to 32kg (70lbs) without charge. Please note that we will not accept a bag heavier than 32kg (70lbs) as checked baggage.

It is longer than 158cm that's for sure at 165cm.

Sooooo.......for those of you that have this item yourselves:-

Do you just take this whopper of a board bag and your hand luggage for a week's trip?
For flights do you check it in as ski/board equipment or as a hold bag? The reason I ask this is that if it's checked in with Easyjet as sports equipment then it can only weigh 12kg apaprently which is no good, it must weigh about 6kg on it's own without any stuff in it even. Then, contrary to this, on the Easyjet website it says that every passenger is allowed upto 50kg of luggage at extra charge including sporting equipment subject to available space. Each single piece of luggage must not weigh more than 32kg. Doesn't say anything about size restrictions though. So seems like this bag can weigh 32kgs as long as you don't take any hold bags as well.

So can you take these big bags and just a rucksack as hand luggage or not these days? I'm thinking I need to swap it for the Low Roller?

Masque did I read that you had one of these High Rollers? Even the Low Roller is 165cm long just narrower height wise than the High Roller so doesn't match with the BA sporting equipment size restrictions.

Sorry this post is so long.

Thanks!

Edit:-Sorry when I looked at the label on mine it was the 165 model not the 180, that would be way too big for what I need.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-09-08 16:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I took on a couple of BA domestic flights in January/March my 160L packed Dakine split (30kg) and my Dakine Roller ski bag with 2 pairs of skis+boots+clothes etc (28kg) in it also a backpack onto the plane, no questions asked.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have a low roller, 165 but then my board is 163. i've taken it on a couple of flights no worries (not with BA though).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv,
Quote:

I took on a couple of BA domestic flights in January/March my 160L packed Dakine split (30kg) and my Dakine Roller ski bag with 2 pairs of skis+boots+clothes etc (28kg) in it also a backpack onto the plane, no questions asked.

That's good, bet Easyjet would have charged you extra for that lot.

I've edited my post above because it wasn't the 180 version I ordered, it was the 165, and my 168 skis fit in there just about length wise, but better if I take the bindings off so they don't damage the plastic on the snowboard bindings. One ski each side of the board works though. It will be ok to take both skis and board in it driving over, but not sure I'd risk skis and board flying as there would be a bit too much heavy equipment crashing around in there otherwise. We'll see.

rogg, your Low Roller is same length as my High Roller at 165, so no comments about the length then? Can't see why BA would not want to carry sporting equipment longer than 158cm after all, what about guys who have skis that are 180 plus.

rogg, do you check in just your Low Roller and pay sporting equipment charge or do you take hold bag as well? If you just check in your Low Roller then how much have you been able to put in it? i.e is it up to 32kg worth or what?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what i tend to do is check with the tour operator which airline we're flying with.

the last few years it's been i've flown out of Dublin, with monarch. their policy is that on their chartered flights you pay the tour operator, however if you turn up at the airport, the stewards will ask you to pay at the service air desk. once there they look up the tarrif in their Monarch folder and low and behold - no charge. Razz

never had the bag measured, but it does get weighed - at the check in desk. if you think you're going to be over your weight allowance,take some stuff out of your bag and stash it. check in, they'll then weigh your bag. after this go pack all you like into the bag and then take it to the oversize baggage drop off, where they don't weigh it Laughing .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rogg,
Quote:

never had the bag measured, but it does get weighed - at the check in desk. if you think you're going to be over your weight allowance,take some stuff out of your bag and stash it. check in, they'll then weigh your bag. after this go pack all you like into the bag and then take it to the oversize baggage drop off, where they don't weigh it

What a good idea. Pity we can't do that with normal suitcases/roller bags as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, I've got the Ellis Brigham roller ski bag that'll take two pairs of skis and a board or two with a lot of clothing for padding . . . easily 30Kg+ Evil or Very Mad to my cost.
It's way too easy these days for us gear junkies (or those of us that play with multiple tools) to fall foul of weight limits, so unless you're going to travel by car, train or bus . . . big bags and current airline practices don't work. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, I thought one piece of luggage i.e ski or board bag (assuming you don't check in hold luggage as well) could be upto 32 kgs in weight? Easyjet say that on their website. So what's wrong with checking in a massive boardbag with loads of stuff in it and taking a piece of hand luggage onto the plane i.e your rucksack as long as the massive boardbag weighs no more than 32kgs?

I'm sure in the past with any airline when I had one Sportube containing my skis, a boot bag and my main suitcase/gear bag whatever you want to call it, my main bag was over 20kgs by a kilo or two and they let me off. Easyjet did tell me off in Geneva once for having a seperate boot bag and told me next time to put them in my main bag or I'd be charged extra for taking a boot bag. On the way over I had put the boots in my main bag but there was no room in it coming back so I put them in my boot bag I had with me for the return.

With BA, Flybe, XL they let me take boot bag, ski bag and main bag no problem.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took my Ride bag with three boards, two sets of boots, servicing kit, 2x sets of bindings plus clothing on both Monarch and BA and never got stopped for overweight baggage. I've found all airlines to be quite good when I've been.

Flew back from Japan 20kg over one time and never got charged a penny - put on my manly charms to the lass at the counter Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i've flown both ryanair and swiss with my high roller 165 - one of the best pieces of luggage i've ever bought. with ryanair in november last year it was about 15kgs but they didn't weigh it cos i think the flight wasn't that full and the guy couldn't be bothered (or something). with swiss in march this year, it didn't even raise an eyelid, let alone an eyebrow.

my ryanair trip was only a 3-day-er so i didn't have much in it. carried lots of smaller stuff in my hand luggage. so the high roller had my board, attached bindings, boots, helmet, knee pads, snowboarding trousers and apres clothing. but the swiss one was a week-long, so had loads more stuff in there - weighed in at around 20kg i think. no issues, other than being able to drag the weight of it for the week-long trip.

just a tip if you ever contemplate it, you can carry up to three boards in the bag. two in the main compartment facing each other if you leave the bindings on (but i don't like carrying boards that way), and one in the "secret pocket" on the underside of the bag. if you remove your bindings from your board, you'll be able to move stuff around easier and not have to worry about whether you're damaging your bindings.

as for the airline restrictions, it's one of those unfortunate things that you do have to check with each airline what their restrictions are for sports luggage. some are easy going, others not so much and wanna take the pp. rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sherlock235, just a thought. I had my skis (in a Sportube) left behind in Geneva once. Someone told me that if they can't get all the luggage on the plane, its the skis and boardbags that get left behind. I think I would still prefer to take a kit bag and this whopper of a board bag, because I wouldn't want my jacket, thermals, pants etc etc to be in the High Roller and then some baggage handler not load it onto the plane.

How much did you High Roller weigh with just the board iand boots in it? I think I could get my skis in it with the bindings mounted if I took the snowboard bindings off. They are probably easier to take off and put on again anyway because they are used to being removed and amended for stance whereas ski bindings get loose if they're off then on then off then on again all the time.

Surely you wouldn't get 3 boards in there with bindings mounted? One of them at least would have to have the bindings removed to get that board under the spongy flap underneath the main compartment.

Sure is a good bag though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, my bag weighed in at around 12-15kg for the short trip and ~20kg for my week-long trip. the week-long was a self-catering and both of us were on a budget, so in addition to my stuff, i also had some "food" stowed away in there. you may find that it weighs much more cos of the skis, but i can't say. it can take a large amount of kit cos it's been used by ppl as carriage for their season's worth of kit!

re. the number of boards you can carry in the high roller: i meant two boards with bindings attached facing each other like they're a sandwich, one flat against the bottom of the bag, the other back facing the opening. this all happens in the main compartment so there are "gaps" between the bindings for squashing your kit into. the third board fits into the "secret pocket" on the underside of the bag - have a good look at all sides of the bag, you'll find it! i have never needed to remove the spongy flap to fit in a board so your board and skis should fit well if you take the board bindings off.

personally i remove my board bindings and wrap them so that i can move things around within the bag. also bear in mind that i use the lower of the outer pockets for my boots, so the bottom part of the bag is kinda taken up with the boots fitting again the board. i normally wear my jacket and fleece on the plane back (febreeze is wonderful stuff!), and carry the smaller items of kit in my hand luggage. i don't know anyone who has had their bags left behind on a flight, so i can't comment on that aspect. i only got my bag last year and used a friend's one before that with no probs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sherlock235,
Quote:

re. the number of boards you can carry in the high roller: i meant two boards with bindings attached facing each other like they're a sandwich, one flat against the bottom of the bag, the other back facing the opening. this all happens in the main compartment so there are "gaps" between the bindings for squashing your kit into. the third board fits into the "secret pocket" on the underside of the bag - have a good look at all sides of the bag, you'll find it! i have never needed to remove the spongy flap to fit in a board so your board and skis should fit well if you take the board bindings off.

Oh thought the "secret board pocket" was underneath the spongy flap. So you place both the boards with bindings on top of the spongy flap thing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yup! did you find the secret pocket yet. was well chuffed after reading about this somewhere then i found it. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sherlock235, no I will go and have a look now
ski holidays
Found it now. Yes you could get a board in there with no bindings no problem and use the rest of the pack for ones stuff or skis! I'd rather take my board bindings off than ski bindings off as I said because board bindings are meant to be adjusted.
snow report
Screwed that up. See next post: lots of wine!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 9-09-08 22:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Swirly wrote:
Wow a snowboarding thread I haven't posted on! the best way to do it is a big roller bag,saves on the baggage fee if flying easyjet. if they lose it you'll get your stuff back before you need it.

Anyway here's as gratuitous photo of Cham
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, you may wish to consider the fact that these monstrous pieces of luggage don't fit in a car. I have spent many entertaining hours in airport car parks in the rain, helping twits with huge board bags to unpack everything, remove the board(s) and then try to squish the bag in half so that it fits in the back.

As far as flying goes, it is true that ski/board bags are the first thing to be left behind for lack of space, so if you have packed your whole life into your board bag you are stuffed. Equipment hire is usually widely available, but it's not easy to rent a pair of knickers. (Not that easy to buy them in resort either, as a friend of mine discovered last winter.)
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
(Not that easy to buy them in resort either, as a friend of mine discovered last winter.)

That must of been a bit draughty Shocked
snow conditions
i use the high roller and a normal dakine board bag without wheels
depends on what airlines im using depends on what bag i take
most of the time i take a seperate small bag for clothes,handy as it got lost in geneva this year!!
snow conditions
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, you may wish to consider the fact that these monstrous pieces of luggage don't fit in a car. I have spent many entertaining hours in airport car parks in the rain, helping twits with huge board bags to unpack everything, remove the board(s) and then try to squish the bag in half so that it fits in the back.

Lizzard, yes I can imagine. See, me being far from twit like on this occasion wink , I checked to see if I could get it in the car before I bought it Laughing Normally when I take a Sportube for skis with me I put the bottom of that in the passenger footwell and lodge the tube on the top of the passenger seat to the side of the headrest by the window so it can't go anywhere. This High Roller works too as long as I remove the passenger headrest and prop it on the top of the seat.

For safety though so I can get out the passenger side door if I have to in the event of an accident-I don't want a great big thing blocking my path- Shocked so I will probably put the back seats down in the car and put it diagonally across then I can just load all my other gear easily enough from there. Very Happy

Knowing what we know about board bags/skis getting left behind, for flights I won't be loading it with stuff I need urgently, I will probably use it for board, boots, skis, ski boots and anything else I could wait a day or two for, but as driving this time will pack it up as much as possible.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, girls should not get 'coffin bags' because they fill them up too much (girl thing ? wink ) and are too weak to then be able to lift them Laughing

btw 32 kg is the maxium legal limit per bag Easyjet (other airlines?) will allow on a plane due to H&S regulations and has nohing to do with baggage allowances etc
ski holidays
rayscoops, on the Easyjet website they do say 50kg is maximum baggage load (not just one bag though) per passenger but of course this is at extra cost and assuming there is room on the plane to put it, so that's why the sports equipment allowance is 32kg I guess. Thought 25kgs was the highest amount to be lifted on H&S regs anyway not 32kgs?

Anyway, no matter, 32kgs will be more than plenty for me anyway, usually my main bag is no more than 25kgs, usually 20kgs on the nose plus the Sportube which is normally pretty heavy too. Never had any problems lifting my own luggage in and out of the car myself and up on to the baggage carousel myself or off it! My stuff is all on wheels anyway plus travelling by myself a lot makes you just get on with it. I don't take hairdryers, hair straighteners and a great big vanity case with me you know, just a small make up bag/wash bag with the things I need. Laughing wink

I did find it a bit much the one day though arriving at a packed Geneva airport Christmas week with a wheelie kit bag (not a problem) a Sportube (too heavy to pick up and carry and wheeling it around obstacles is not very easy-ski bags are better for this that you can put over your shoulder if it's busy like that) and a boot bag.
Simply because I was looking for the transfer co who was rather unhelpfully having a chat to someone holding the sign down by his side instead of up! I was well p*ssed off once I'd been up and down arrivals a few times carrying all that lot looking for the dozy sod.

I always have 2 Euros for a trolley at Geneva now after that. Laughing
snow report
rayscoops, OI !!! I have a girls coffin bag (not pink Crying or Very sad ) and only my kit goes in there ! the rest goes in a seperate holdall . See us girls can pack light wink
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, I'm inclined to take my ordinary kit bag as well to be honest after my ski bag got left behind one day. Don't like the thoughts of having absolutely everything going stuffed to the brim in this High Roller on flights. It's ok to pack it up if driving though.

Which board case thing have you got then?
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Easyjet is 12 kg for skis etc, 20 kg for hold baggage, which technically gives you 32 kg - they do not seem to mind too much if one bag is a bit heavier than these limits as long as they are both no more than 32 kg. The 50 kg is the maximum they will allow you to take on the plane no matter how many bags you are willing to pay for. Easyjet H&S = 32 kg wink

Btw if you just book the ski carraige and do not tick the 'how many hold bags box' you still retain the 20 kg hold allowance even though you are not checking in a bag (0 bags = £0, 1 bag = £6, 2 bags = £12 etc. up to 20 kg in total) the charge is for the number of bags you check in and not the weight - the weight is your free entitlement !! ....... ski allowance and hold allowance = 32kg but if you only checkin your ski and boot bag (and no hold bag) then you are still allowed 32kg Very Happy

I have be known just to take my board bag and hand luggage and only get to 20 kg anyway ! Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 10-09-08 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, I bet it is really hard though not to pack some extra clobber in your board bag Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, I have one from BBC (Bucks Boarding) and it is smaller that most, so less room to cram stuff in & easier to get in the car. In theory they are great but sometimes they can be a huge pain if you have loaded them up. I.E dragging the booger through Lyon airport is not funny as it's miles to the coach park or trying to lug them up several flights of stairs if your hotel doesnt have a lift!
ski holidays
rayscoops, My BF always says ... do you really need those 2 jackets, 3 pants and 2 helmets & the Playstation/Wii ????
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, 2 helmets ? Shocked
ski holidays
rayscoops, one for each jacket Laughing
latest report
rayscoops,
Quote:

Btw if you just book the ski carraige and do not tick the 'how many hold bags box' you still retain the 20 kg hold allowance even though you are not checking in a bag (0 bags = £0, 1 bag = £6, 2 bags = £12 etc. up to 20 kg in total) the charge is for the number of bags you check in and not the weight - the weight is your free entitlement !! ....... ski allowance and hold allowance = 32kg but if you only checkin your ski and boot bag (and no hold bag) then you are still allowed 32kg

Ah! Thank you. Clarification on that I appreciate. What about BA? Can you just take as many bags as you want with them i.e boot bag, board/ski bag and main bag with no extra charges like Easyjet do? As long as you stay under the total baggage weight limit across them all? In my OP they are muttering about it having to have certain dimensions now i.e no longer than 158cm so that's most ski and board bags out if that is true from November. Puzzled

Very Happy DebbiDoesSnow, yes I know what you mean, I had a main bag, boot bag and heavy Sportube one day which are an absolute bogger to manoevre on the wheels with a roller bag as well, trying to check in at Chambery and they have no trolleys there-ever so it seems. I asked an assistant and asked her if they have trolleys or if they have just run out (couldn't see anyone with a trolley anyway so they couldn't have run out!) and she said they don't have them there! I said "But it's an airport that deals with ski flights!" and she said "I know" Shocked rolling eyes Wouldn't fly into there again, it was absolute mayhem in there, delays etc I'd rather sit on the transfer coach for 2 more hours and fly into Geneva-they seem pretty good there in the grand scheme of things.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, no specific dea about BA allowances but skis were free to take last year so they must allow something similar in weight to Easyjet
snow conditions
Disgruntled baggage handlers cut the handles off ours with knives at the beginning of a five week trip. What a good laugh that was, hauling a thing the size of a coffin around the place with an old belt around it....
latest report
firebug, Shocked what? Why did they cut the handles off? Just out of spite or what?
snow report
Incidentally, just a silly thought, has anyone checked in one of these big roller board bags with all their gear in and the board and boots as 1 item of hold luggage without paying ski carriage with Easyjet and got away with it? If it weighs less than 20kgs I mean as per the hold bag allowance. Then would they not let it on as a hold bag rather than paying for sports equipment carriage? I suppose they will know there is a board in there because it's a long bag rather than one that looks like a suitcase.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, no, but have been allowed to add my hold luggage allowance to the measly additional sports allowance the tour operators make you pay for
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, with my trip with ryanair last november, i just paid for ski/board bag carriage and had no other hold luggage. i wasn't given a hard time, just asked the weight of the bag on the way back to london.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, I think so!! Unbelievable eh? I heard later that it's not unknown with heavy bags, they do it so you won't use it again, or get another one. :/

It was a bit of a pain in the neck anyway because it was always such a fight to get it into lifts, under beds, into cars etc etc.

On the other hand it's always a conversation piece. Very Happy You will make many new friends!

ps I couldn't agree more about Chambery! What a mess. We got really stuck for excess baggage there, too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy