Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Multi-resort lift passes - 3Vs & Paradiski

Poster: A snowHead
I shall be staying in Courchevel 1850 and and also in Les Arcs 1800 this season, and have been looking at lift passes/prices. In particular, I've been wondering whether it will be worth getting full 3V and Paradiski lift passes.

Although I've stayed in Meribel or Mottaret a few times - and would always get a full 3V pass if staying there - I've never actually stayed in Courchevel and therefore don't know how long it takes to get right over to VT and back.

I've never been to the Paradiski area at all and was wondering how long it would take to get from Les Arcs 1800 to, say, Bellecôte and back, assuming the Vanoise Express is working.

Hope this isn't too daft a question.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know nothing about Paradiski but we've been going to Courchevel for a number of years and have rarely been out of the valley. Of course it depends whether you prefer to clock up mileage and do as many new runs as possible or whether you're happy to do the same runs and betweens - personally we're in the latter category. Courchevel is, I believe, the largest valley in terms of piste distance and has more than enough to keep you happy for a week without repeating yourself. For reference, if you think you are going to go out of Courchevel valley on 2 or more days in a week, then get the 3V pass. If you're not sure whether you are going to go out at all or maybe only on one day, then get the Courchevel pass and get the 3V extension for that day. The only thing is you might decide that you want to be able to decide at the top of the Saulire that you're actually going to dive down to Meribel instead, which you can't do if you only have the Courchevel pass - and it might be worth paying the extra to get that flexibility (and save the hassle of having to buy the extension if you want it
latest report
 brian
brian
Hurtle, C1850 to VT is pretty quick, you're only 2 lifts from the top of Saulire, where you can ski down to Mottaret. However, imo, Courchevel is comfortably the best of the 3Vs and is pretty vast in its own right, so unless you're particularly into mileage, you wouldn't actually lose out on all that much taking the smaller pass. If they still do 3V day extensions then that might be worth looking into.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, brian, thanks, guys. Thing is, even if I don't get all the way over to VT - which I'm not that bothered about, it's not my favourite ski area - I'd like to be able to ski both Mont Vallon and La Masse (can't quite imagine going to the 3Vs and not skiing on Mont Vallon...) OTOH, I'll be having lessons every morning in Courchevel, so maybe getting to these places in an afternoon isn't practical. Dunno... Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, when we stayed at 1650 we were having morning lessons too, so we stayed in the Courchevel Valley and probably explored more than we would have done had we been keen to "get our moneysworth" with a 3V pass. The snow wasn't great (this was January 2002). The other people in our chalet were a big mileage crew, and did the whole area in the first few days, but then said that the snow in the Courchevel Valley was so much better (even 1650 was better than Val Thorens, which was stony) that they didn't bother going out of the Valley towards the end of the week.
latest report
 brian
brian
Hurtle, well obviously it depends on how fast you go but ... both ought to be fairly straightforward. Jump in the Verdons bubble out of 1850, then Vizelle or Saulire pherique to top of Saulire. Ski down to Mottaret and jump in the Plattieres bubble. For La Masse go all the way to the top and ski right the way down through Beirut sur neige. For Mont Vallon jump out after the 2nd stage of Plattieres.

If you're outside the French school holidays and move at a semi-reasonable pace either should be comfortable half day trips.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, It's a real shame they don't offer either a cheaper two valley pass to allow you to use the Meribel valley, whilst staying in Courchevel or offer a cheaper day upgrade just for the Meribel valley.

I've been three times now and stayed in Courchevel 1650 twice. IMO, going as far as Meribel would be enough. The last time we were there we decided to do the day extension option, as it worked out about the same price if we upgraded on 2 of the 6 days but in the end we never bothered.

The second time we went, we stayed in Meribel and it's definitely worth having the full pass if you stay there, as you can go either way. We even went to Orelle via the Cime de Caron, which was a little hair raising but a brilliant experience because of the views.

eng_ch, I agree with your point about having limited options at the top of Saulire if you don't already have a full 3Vs pass or don't have a day upgrade. Maybe they should put a ticket office there Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pokemon, EXACTAMUNDO in all respects! I'm sure I will want to go to the Meribel valley more than once, a 2V pass would be ideal! Agreed about the Cime de Caron - the single main attraction of VT for me, the views are gobsmacking.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian,
Quote:

Beirut sur neige

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle,
Quote:

EXACTAMUNDO

Are you the Fonz ? Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the other resort - Arc 1800 - It's ceratinly feasible to get to the top of the bellcote & back in an afternoon, especially if you take the off piste route down the valley from the glacier. Whether you'd want to slog through belle plagne lift queues and ski that tearrin very often is another matter. I'd reccomend a day ticket on a day you know that the glacier is open.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cunners,
Quote:

belle plagne lift queues

yeah, I wondered about that (though I'm going outside school hols.) I have no conception of whether I'd want to bother with the La Plagne side at all, if staying in Les Arcs for ten days. I don't know what I'd be missing, whereas with the 3Vs I do know.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I think it would be worth getting the full paradiski pass if you are there for 10 days out of school hols (when, BTW - we are in Plan Peisey for a couple of 2wk stretches). We always go out of school times & havent had a problem with queues. The only dodgy bit is the run back down to the Vanoise Express on the LP side if it gets icy, as it can be busy & therefore a bit unpleasant in the late afternoon as people fret about missing the last lift back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you like off piste skiing and the glacier is open, it's worth a trip over. The scrum in the main resort is a pain, as is the scrum for the Belcote Gondala and I personally think the piste skiing in Les Arcs knocks La Plagne into a cocked hat. The off piste valley down from the glacier though is well worth taking the time to enjoy, especially if you have 10 days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cunners, unfortunately, my off-piste skiing is worse than crappy. Started too late... Sad
latest report
Hurtle, If I've put you off with that run (its only a blue), there is a lovely road run down through the trees to Nancroix that I've never met anyone on. From there you can take a shuttle bus back up to the Peisey yogurt pots & then up to the main Plan Peisey lift.
snow conditions
genepi,
Quote:

its only a blue
Doesn't matter what colour some of those icy, crowded, runs to resort are, does it? Something one usually just has to grin and bear! Smile Thanks for the info, though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle,

If it is your first time in Les Arcs, even for 10 days, there is (IMVHO, of course!) little point in getting anything other than an extension to visit La Plagne on the odd occasions. Les Arcs has plenty to keep you busy, for months. And as I think I may have said before, if you are spending your days travelling over to La Plagne on a daily basis, then you are staying in the wrong village...

Arcs offers you the 2000 bowl, for which we are truly thankful to be so blessed, the link down to Villaroger with its on-piste powder days (great on bad weather days, as they close the cable car and other ways into the area, so you have to know how to find the drag lift they only open when all else is closed - peace quiet, empty and usally a differrent weather outlook to the rest of the area), the 1600 forests, the 1800 cruisers and steeps, the Plan Peisey gentle area, and all the reds, black and off-pisty bits in between the "zones". And then, I know you said its not your thing, but there's all the off-piste stuff off the back of 2000... ooh am salivating already, and its still 65 days til we go.

But we have been from 1950 to Roche de Mio and back to Peisey in time for lunch at the Squirrel, so Bellecote is certainly is do-able for a lesiurely day (1950 -> Vanoise is probably about 5-10 mins longer tops than 1800, since you still have to take one lift out of either resort to get there).
snow report
JimW, Thanks, very useful info.
snow report
3V definitely skiable in a day. We've started quite late and still gone over to Les Menuires and back again. Also we've gone from 1650 right over to Orelle and back although we didn't stop for lunch. That said, Courchevel definitely had the best snow each time we'd been there, although we also like the VT valley and Mont Vallon, and wouldn't want to spend a 2-week holiday completely in Courchevel valley.

We love the blue/red runs up above 1650 for fast carving, and there are some good off-piste areas there too. We always get the 3V pass, but this year may get Courchevel only for the first week and 3V for the second week.

The only downside of travelling through Meribel is that virtually each time I have done so, I've been wiped out by somebody. People seem to leave their brains behind when skiing through Meribel Sad It kinda puts me off the whole 3V thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would agree with Jim W. There is plenty to do in Les Arcs - there are plenty flattering reds and blues, and the Villaroger Aiguille Rouge run is just fab. There's open mountain and lots of trees for when it is not so nice. You can get around pretty quickly, but you might as well get a day ticket. I was fairly new to skiing when we visited La Plagne, but would not necessarily be in a great rush to go back. Les Arcs is another matter.
snow report
docsquid, MarjMJ, noted, thanks. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I was fairly new to skiing when we visited La Plagne, but would not necessarily be in a great rush to go back

Ditto.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
I shall be staying in Courchevel 1850 and and also in Les Arcs 1800 this season, and have been looking at lift passes/prices. In particular, I've been wondering whether it will be worth getting full 3V and Paradiski lift passes.

Although I've stayed in Meribel or Mottaret a few times - and would always get a full 3V pass if staying there - I've never actually stayed in Courchevel and therefore don't know how long it takes to get right over to VT and back.

I've never been to the Paradiski area at all and was wondering how long it would take to get from Les Arcs 1800 to, say, Bellecôte and back, assuming the Vanoise Express is working.

Thanks.

Have you had a look at holiski?

This works on a kind of peage basis - i.e. you buy the card upfront and register your credit card / bank details and then they just debit you for the days skiing that you use at a less than daily walk up rate to the kiosk. Sounds like a great idea especially for those people that might be skiing more than one included resort in one or two trips

couple of points that iaren't clear

a) What the tariff actually is - i.e. if its cheaper than the day price, is it cheaper than a 7-day pass. For example if you're doing a week in paradiski and then say 4 days in meribel, would it be better to go holiski for the whole lot or buy a regular paradiski 7 day pass, and then just use holiski for the 4 day trip.

b) Confirmation that it's ok out of area (but in domain) as it's a CDA product then does it work when you drop down off a CDA lift e.g. meribel to courchevel but then need to take a differently owned lift back up to get home. As well all know this would be fine with a 3v pass but this holiski one is a bit different.

I did drop them an email on both these points (unfortunately in english) a few days ago and as yet haven't had a response..

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 27-10-08 23:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
bertie bassett, gosh, fascinating, I'd never heard of it. Look forward to hearing the results of your researches. Confusing in the 3Vs, for sure, if you're staying in Courchevel.
latest report
I agree with the majority. I would stick with les arcs only pass, there is plenty to keep you occupied and the la plagne side just isn't that rewarding. In 3v even courchevel I'd take the 3v pass - it's very frustrating to stand on the boundaries and not be able to ski whicheve way you want Wink

aj xx
snow report
Totally agree with a.j., The 3V offer boundless possibilities and you can get about very easily. On the other hand, once you have crossed the Vanoise express you are down at 1400 with a lot of lifts in front of you to get to the best of La Plagne. I suggest 3V in 3V and maybe a day across the valley to La Plagne. Les Arcs has a lot to offer.

snowHead
snow report
Many thanks for lots of useful advice. I am definitely leaning towards a 3V pass (even if I don't get as far as VT this time) and a pass for Les Arcs + one Plagne day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Thanks.

Have you had a look at holiski?

This works on a kind of peage basis - i.e. you buy the card upfront and register your credit card / bank details and then they just debit you for the days skiing that you use at a less than daily walk up rate to the kiosk. Sounds like a great idea especially for those people that might be skiing more than one included resort in one or two trips

couple of points that iaren't clear

a) What the tariff actually is - i.e. if its cheaper than the day price, is it cheaper than a 7-day pass. For example if you're doing a week in paradiski and then say 4 days in meribel, would it be better to go holiski for the whole lot or buy a regular paradiski 7 day pass, and then just use holiski for the 4 day trip.

b) Confirmation that it's ok out of area (but in domain) as it's a CDA product then does it work when you drop down off a CDA lift e.g. meribel to courchevel but then need to take a differently owned lift back up to get home. As well all know this would be fine with a 3v pass but this holiski one is a bit different.

I did drop them an email on both these points (unfortunately in english) a few days ago and as yet haven't had a response..

Poor form to quote one's post, but hey it's worth it

"The Holiski pass unables you to ski in Les Menuires but not in Courchevel. If you want to ski in Courchevel you won"t be able to use your Holiski pass and you will have to buy a pass for Courchevel" - straight from the holiski ladies keyboard with typo which i take to be 'enables'. Looks like the 'other' liftcos in 3v don't like the idea of Holiski and don't let it roam onto their network.

I' didn't get an answer on the second part - I will ask again now I have an email address.

bb
ski holidays
bertie bassett, thanks!
ski holidays
Hurtle, even as the La Plagne Fan that I am, I would agree with comments above about Paradiski Pass - don't bother. But is worth going across for one day, even if just to do the amazing lift and have a yummy lunch at Le Sauget (best to book).

Last Monday, Hurtle wrote:
Cunners, unfortunately, my off-piste skiing is worse than crappy. Started too late...
Shame on you! There is no such thing as starting too late. And there is nothing special about off-piste skiing.
It's just skiing - a bit different from on-piste, but really no more difficult.
Remember, until the invention of the piste basher, all skiing was off-piste. Make your motto Live Long, Die Fast.
Read this thread. And read about Rodney Goddard Aller. snowHead
ski holidays
Don't know about Les Arcs. Why go to 3V and ski 1V Puzzled Mights as well go to a 1V. I ski the 4V from C1850 - satisfying days skiing with lunch above Orelle and back in time for T Very Happy
ski holidays
Lechbob,
Quote:

Why go to 3V and ski 1V
Normally no reason at all, but as I said, I'll be doing half-day lessons each day (in Courchevel, I presume) so the available time for getting around will be limited.

Jonpim, yeah, yeah....
But thanks for the resto recommendation, it's exactly the sort of excuse which I really need for extending a lift pass, never mind the skiing! Details and telephone number noted.
snow report
Hurtle,
Quote:
I'll be doing half-day lessons each day

Can't do with all that routine, I'd be tempted to have half a day private lesson if you need it & free ski the rest of the week, I wouldn't want to miss the runs above VT. Each to his own.
snow report
Lechbob,
Quote:

Each to his own

Indeed.
snow conditions
Hurtle, La Ferme in Villaroger should also be added to your list Smile
ski holidays
IS this any good for you?

http://www.holiski.com/EN/alps-skipass.php
latest report
rob@rar, thanks!
Helen Beaumont, doesn't look like it, from bertie bassett's researches so far (above.)
snow report
Hurtle, sorry, I managed to miss that post. Embarassed
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, no worries, nice of you to bother at all! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy