Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grant Gunderson

Poster: A snowHead
I am in no way associated with him but I think his pics are bloody cool. Check em out folks:

http://www.grantgunderson.com/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE!

Awesome stuff!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beautiful, I'm truly impressed! Love the combination of ambient light and studio flash used in some of them.

What's going in on pic 16 though, looks like that chap's face ploughing? Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, he is standing up.. the snow is just soo deep.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
O.... K.... so what made those other tracks and howcome it didn't sink so deep?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero-G, those tracks were made by loose clumps of slough about the size of snowballs about one fifth to one third as dense as a snowball that you could actually throw without it falling apart.

A snowball would sink. Slough clumps can roll and hop randomly because they don't weigh anywhere near.

GG posted an interesting story about the alta pic and the ticket he got for leaving the car at the bottom of the canyon to get the all-night exposure.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 22-10-08 17:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zero-G,
http://youtube.com/v/HGd4jatccUM
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(Having never been on the mountain you guys have so much scope to take the mickey here...)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
check out the above link.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G, too easy and therefore infra dig.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OMG, arv, that looks... I am speechless! I want to do that! I...

comprex, posted here or somewhere else? Am always keen to hear the stories behind the pics.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Epic or skinet.com, I forget which.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mighty fine. Great colour density. Jealous. Just got a digital SLR - so sooo want to get better at the piccy thing. Very impressed to see so many skiers in lime green ski pants. The way forward IMPO.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, what dSLR did you get?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv, Olympus e-520.

Upsides?

It had a lot of features that competing entry level models didn't have - its main rivals for my affections being Canon EOS 450, Nikon D60, Sony A-200

I liked the feel of it in my hand

I had a much cherished OM2 back in the day (which after 16 years of languishing dormant with a locked up mirror, I found a "new" instruction on the web ((while researching the 520)) unlocked and hey presto, new batteries, works like it had never "gone away"). So emotions were involved.

It's lightweight and compact.

Downsides?

None apparent. It does have a more limited range of lenses - particularly 3rd party - although Sigma develop for the 4/3s standard. Reviews are less strong than the competition although that seems to be for either fallacious or specious reasons (it lost marks on one review 'cos it wasn't adequately different from it's predecessor ??!!)

That said, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the mainstream ones - and they're all certainly better than I am.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 26-10-08 19:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David Murdoch, yeh I will be struggling to find one as poor as I am but I shall continue to look. Will be good to see some high quality snow related photos snowHead
snow conditions
Woow, those are so, so incredible. Shocked
snow conditions
I can think of worse ways to earn a living Mr. Green

Some really stunning shots Cool
ski holidays
arv, have you considered a second-hand DSLR? The technology moves so fast that some people get sucked into an endless cycle of buying the latest model when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the older models. You could do worse than buying a second-hand 4-year old Nikon DSLR for £100-£200 and then splash out on decent lenses. It's all in the lenses baby Smile
snow conditions
The first one was the cover of skiing magazine fairly recently. I have the vague recollection that it was a 4 hour exposure, using the flash to get a sharp pic of the skiier as he went by
latest report
Very impressive photos, love the lighting effects.
snow conditions
If anyone is looking for a print of any of the photos I am going to arrange with Grant for some to be sent over, check out his site for rates etc. Give me a PM if any one is interested and I will see what I can get together and if we can get a reduced rate for a bigger order.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy