Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The where to go in North America Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs JB and Myself are keen to try North America again next March/ April having neen to Lake Louise in Nov 04.

The front runner at the moment would be somewhere around Lake Tahoe as I have a friend moving to San Fransisco and could kill 2 birds etc........

Any other ideas, Colarado, Utah. Dare I say it Whistler??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, Just to be boring...what sort of skiers do you perceive yourselves to be and what are you looking for?

Myself, next year hopes to include either Wyoming or Montana (or Maybe Utah again...).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch,

Fair question. Both of us have 10+ weeks. Haven't done any serious off piste, but are confident on blacks.

Have been inspired by Axman. Want empty pistes and quality snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, some suggestions:
The Canyons, Utah
Snowbird, Utah
Solitude, Utah
Grand Targhee, Wyoming
Big Sky, Montana
Vail, Colorado
Winter Park, Colorado
...and the places around Tahoe...

(I'm hoping to have an Epic wink time in the Tahoe region in late March next year, but I didn't say that, and it's not official, etc...)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah area round Tahoe, Squaw is awesome but quite expensive the other areas around Tahoe are cheaper.
Jackson Hole (taking in Grand Targhee)
Whistler although people say it's crowded I still think is pretty fab, was last there in 2000. The ski and ride Esprit programme was great value.
Vail
Snowbird (always wanted to go)

Listen to WTFH he's the man that knows
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Right, what's the craic with this epic trip? Can boys like me go? What is the reasoning on your choice of resorts? Why not Brekenridge, Steamboat etc?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Yeah, I was interested to know that too Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat,

Right, what's the craic with this epic trip?

What Epic trip to the Tahoe area? I never mentioned one. Not me. I didn't say a thing.

johnboy wrote:
Can boys like me go?

If such a trip was to happen, I'm sure boys like you could go (particularly cause it will make boys like me appear more attractive to the local girls...)

johnboy wrote:
What is the reasoning on your choice of resorts? Why not Brekenridge, Steamboat etc?

OK, the reasoning:
The Canyons, Utah - Go there and you might understand why I'm investing in property there.

Snowbird, Utah - with Alta up the road, you'll have plenty of terrain to play with

Solitude, Utah - you want peace and quiet, you want Solitude.

Grand Targhee, Wyoming - it's not Jackson Hole, and that's possibly a good thing. Less macho bravado, more mucho powdero.

Big Sky, Montana - it's joined to Moonlight basin, it's quiet, and it's not a major destination on the tourist map

Vail, Colorado - don't go for an architectural tour, but do go for a lot of skiing.

Winter Park, Colorado - well, apart from Rusty Guy working there, the powder, the moguls, and the fact that through the week the place is very quiet, I really can't think of why I suggested it!

Breck was almost on the list, but would fail on the "crowds" front. It can almost get to Euro levels of busy-ness.
And I left Steamboat off because I haven't been there to be able to comment!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Breckenridge in April 2005 had A1 conditions, the skiing is varied and you get a few other resorts, including Vail, on the liftpass. It's very high, though (you sleep at about 10 000 feet), which is a bit of a pain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat,

Have you been to Tahoe before? Squaw/ Heavenly?

If there were to be an Epic time in Tahoe, when would one think it might be announced?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat,

Have you been to Tahoe before? Squaw/ Heavenly?

Ask me again about this time next year.

johnboy wrote:
If there were to be an Epic time in Tahoe, when would one think it might be announced?

I've no idea what you're talking about, so if I said "probably June/July" it would be to a question I didn't understand, or couldn't answer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat,

I think we understand each other wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I see Heavenly has a base of 206". Not that I'm at all interested in going at all. It's just that Mrs JB never shuts up about Tahoe. She is such a ski bore
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy wrote:
Mrs JB never shuts up... She is such a bore

I noticed that too, but still, she's got a nice personality... Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,

Maybe God doesn't want us Ulstermen to ski. As far as I can see he only gave us hills, sleet and gravity. I think you are a sinner wink
latest report
Mammoth has had 54.75' this season (So far wink )
ski holidays
johnboy, that's only about 16m Sad
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,

How do they find their car in the morning?
snow conditions
johnboy, they find it when the snow melts.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,

I think they are in for a long wait
snow report
No to Brekenridge (busy and high), Steamboat is good, Whistler sooner or later rains on most people. JH is the mutts nuts...
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, last April it wasn't busy, although conditions were very good. It was high, though. Some people can take the altitude, some can't; I could have done without it, but it wasn't a major problem.
latest report
This might help

http://adrenalintrip.extreme.com/forum/viewtopic/1/150172?siteid=1&topictype=0&sid=b66b9b2183a5b044ba49293e16040658&286
snow report
here's Breckenridge, earlier today (last powder of the season for me Sad ):
http://www.biglines.com/photos_large.php?photo_id=57416
latest report
Martin Bell,

Nice one. What do you think of Tahoe?
snow conditions
I was at Squaw back in March for a weekend - and was very impressed by the fantastic steep ungroomed terrain. We luckily had a 2-foot dump, not too wet. Heavenly is better for long-distance on-piste cruising. All the other resorts in the area are smaller, although Alpine Meadows, Kirkwood and Mt Rose are apparently good for steeps (haven't skied them).
ski holidays
Martin Bell, Nice photo!!! You never know - you might get some powder in Zermatt .... high up of course ....
snow conditions
easiski, I already did my Powder Byrne stint in Zermatt a couple of weeks ago. And you are right, there was indeed some powder:
http://www.biglines.com/photos_large.php?photo_id=57526
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it helps any Squaw had 4ft snow over Easter Sat/Sun, I measured over 2ft snow with my ski pole on one of the lowest pistes on Sunday and measured 3 1/2 ft on one of the upper pistes when they opened the top areas on Monday and dropped into some areas that came up to top of my thighs with skis on so I guess more than 5ft (windblown ). Then it all kicked off, Tanner Hall, CR Johnson out riding the Palisades above Siberia bowl, Mike Wilson pulled 100ft double back-flip whist I was watching and Gunnar Newquist went for a front flip which I think he landed see some of the threads in TGR forums or my snow reports on Natives. Squaw rocks but it has very little piste cuising in fact it has very little piste at all, on the trail maps they have no pistes marked at all they grade the lifts instead. Can be a bit disorintating at times but the whole mountain is yours to go at and there are some very serious areas (and skiers) but there some great intermediate unpisted terrain too. I'Ve been here twice for about 6 weeks each time during early April to mid May, the snow was great last year and it's even better this (150% of avg). They stay open to end of May, which is why I came last year and shows the level of confidence in snow coverage - OK bits of the mountain do close down towards the end partly snow conds partly user demand (or lack of). Squaw Vilage itself is small and quieter than a most Euro resorts but it keeps me happy enough (great sushi rest) and the Chamois Bar is where legends genuinely go to drink/party (don't mouth off about your skiing in there) and of course Alpine is v near as is the North Lake Tahoe area if you hire a car (Idon't as 'm here for a while) local bus has been bumped up to half hourly (v frequent for USA). S Lake Tahoe/Heavenly about an hours (stunning) drive away.
latest report
snoflake,

Cheers
latest report
How was the snow in Taos this year Martin?
latest report
Mike Pow, very bad, possibly the worst season since the resort was founded in 1956. In terms of natural snowfall anyway. Snowmaking ensured that all the green and blue runs were open (but slick) by mid-Jan. A small amount of the double black terrain off the "Ridge" opened at the end of January (Oster, Fabian, Stauffenberg, Juarez and Hidalgo), and the skiing was only really good for the last 3 weeks of the season, after some good March storms. At the end, the Ridge was open from Trescow to Wonder Bowl. Kachina Peak did not open all season.
Luckily, I had a few trips to some other places Very Happy
snow report
Martin Bell,

Sorry for being nosey, but is there any particular reason why you are based in Taos?
ski holidays
johnboy, it was my wife's idea to move here.
ski holidays
Martin Bell,

Ah, The old trouble and strife wink
latest report
johnboy, Are you any nearer to making a decision yet?
snow report
IncogSkiSno,

Yeah, Tahoe has my vote. Will have to wait a while before booking as I have a mate moving to San Fransisco this week. Once he gets settled and knows his holidays I'll get it booked. Hope to stay a few days in San Fransisco before heading to Tahoe. Id like to split it between Heavenly and Squaw. Maybe Mammoth.

Are you tempted to head west this year?
latest report
johnboy, Hmm, I doubt it very much, still lots to ski in Europe, plus we'd need more time off to go there - but you never know, my SO wanted to ski Cananda snowHead I am hoping to do 3 ski trips again nrext season if possible. I am really getting itchy feet to go again and it's only been about 4 weeks since my last trip. Sad
latest report
IncogSkiSno,

Tell me about it. I even looked up the Belfast-Geneva on Easyjet. I hear there is something going on in VT this week, but it would probably be crap. (Diving for cover). wink
snow conditions
johnboy, Of course it'll be crap - we're not going to be there wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy