Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended Snowboarding Courses / Camps in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine has recently started snowboarding, and is now able to get down blues and easy reds - just about.

He is keen to get his boarding up to a decent intermediate level. Does anyone have any recommendations for week-long snowboarding courses or camps in Europe with a similar set up to the likes of Warren Smith? Thanks, Alicia
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alicia01, these guys have a good rep:

http://www.mcnabsnowsports.com/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david@mediacopy wrote:
Alicia01, these guys have a good rep:

http://www.mcnabsnowsports.com/
Thanks david@mediacopy, I've had a look and they seem pricey at approx £1,000 for the week excluding flights, when similar ski courses are some £300-£400 cheaper. Any other suggestions? Or is there a gap in the market?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alicia01, I think that if he is only just getting the hang of easy reds then it might be better and also far cheaper for him to find a good ski school in a resort with a resident expert level snowboard teacher. Becci Malthouse of BASS Morzine springs to mind. She is a BASI ISTD and Trainer and is "Snowboard Expert" in Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard. I believe Snowboard is her 1st discipline rather than Ski and doing Snowboard or Telemark as the second discipline as it is with most Trainers.

http://www.britishskischool.com/morzine/instructors.htm

Could well be that a week's group lesson with someone like her could be the solution for your friend for now instead of going on a holiday course even if he could find one that is sensibly priced! It costs £97 with BASS Morzine for either 2 days of 3 hours or 3 days of 2 hours in a group of maximum 6 leaving him at least 3 days of practice time. That will move him on leaps and bounds anyhow I reckon than where he is. Means your friend would have to take a ski trip in Morzine though obviously.

david@mediacopy, I wonder why their courses are like a grand a piece when Snoworks, Warren Smith and the like for ski are like £380 for all day for 5 days tops. Perhaps because hardly anyone runs Snowboard camps?? Can't believe that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alicia01, VolklAttivaS5, Yep, they do seem expensive for sure. I think it's designed in stepping stones leading boarders into more off piste and back country stuff.

I have a feeling that there is not so much a gap in the market, as the market for snowboard coaching simply isn't that big. You don't have the throughput in numbers of aspirant instructors that the BASI system produces and there is much more of a 'just do it' attitude among boarders.

The McNab set up does seem to be quality - you should see the brochure ! IIRC the man himself was heavily involved in the original BASI snowboarding set-up. Maybe !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, yes. I am sure they deliver a quality product, absolutely. They must do. I think that though, say one was a boarder who was already quite good on black pisted runs, had done a bit of off piste but was iffy at that say, (e.g the equivalent of a Snoworks Level 4 in Ski) then one of their weeks would be just the job by the looks of things. Looks like you could do with being pretty good already to really get the benefit of being honed to perfection.

Alicia01, david@mediacopy, 'Course there is Ash Newnes to consider as well. BASI Trainer who has been Snowboard from the off. Nice guy and it looks like they are running courses in Bulgaria.

http://www.snowboardcoach.co.uk/bulgariacamps.htm

http://www.snowboardcoach.co.uk/firstpage.htm

I must admit I didn't even know he had a coaching company until I saw him last weekend down at MK with his stand offering coaching down there for that event that was on. Cost seems a lot more realistic at £299 for the week including transfers and accomodation but not flights which is standard and same as the ski instruction companies. Usually with ski the week's course is about that on it's own without accomodation and flights! Blimey.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 11-10-08 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The same format as last season where the whole school will be at your disposal so ANY level of rider is welcome. The advanced group and people that have done courses with us will be looking at how to ride all the terrain properly from steeps to carving and exploring some of Bansko's secret powder, if we are lucky enough to have it. Of course we will also be looking at how all this technique works in the park.

Then we will have intermediate groups who will be working on techniques and tips to improve and build on what they already know. Not forgetting those of you who are just learning to ride and fancy a week away learning to ride the correct way from the start

Sounds alright for Alicia01's mate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
'Course there is Ash Newnes to consider as well. BASI Trainer who has been Snowboard from the off. Nice guy and it looks like they are running courses in Bulgaria.

http://www.snowboardcoach.co.uk/bulgariacamps.htm

http://www.snowboardcoach.co.uk/firstpage.htm

Yep, Ash is a good guy. He did my L1 boarding course and I'd be up for some more work with him. I did think of him but thought he did Gap courses and ski/board school stuff rather than week long coaching courses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, yeah I'd seen him up at Tamworth lots since I'd been up there a few times lately. I didn't know he did week long courses either, just thought it was coaching in the domes initially. Would be worth a look for me actually when I'm in a position to take my boarding onto the next level (well once I've actually been to a resort and tried it which will be a start!) like I say only twigged it was him when I saw him at MK the other day with his stand. Could be a good idea to do one of them before any bad habits sneak in.

I've got enough to think about at the moment with the skiing anyway so I'll keep with that for now I reckon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I've passed them on him and he's been impressed with the forum.

Hopefully he'll be snowHead soon!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy