Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so it looks cooler than a Polar Bears' backside and you probably end up with thighs like steel springs but apart from that what is the attraction /advantage of this style?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big fast lines. btw, I don't TM but ski with someone who does and one of the bets sights on the hill, IMV, is the snow billowing over his helmet..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ability to knit your own yoghurt...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Does he have to use 1 of those "lung" things to help him breathe? If so that would seriously detract from the coolness of the venture!

offpisteskiing, Does this involve lots of ducktape?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i'm giving it a try this coming season, so that'll deffo add to the coolness Cool Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PsychoBabble, No, he carries an ABS but not a lung...and of course, the snow isn't always over his head.

He is always first in a drop and pretty fast. If he couldn't make our trips I'd be gutted. All the Scando's think he is one of their own.....how cool is that..?? Laughing

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PsychoBabble, More to do = more fun. Having the heel free ups the difficulty, frustration and satisfaction in equal measure. Technically it's inferior to alpine in almost every way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The main advantage is in ski touring. The binding and boots are so light compared to normal alpine gear. On tele gear you can almost forget you've got something strapped to your feet, and on long ski tours this is a BIG deal.

+ it does look pretty cool, and there's nothing like the sensation of linking tele turns. It feels much more like dancing that skiing!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It' s a kick lots of fun doing the turn, powder is in your face more often, less weight hanging on your feet (after 20 seasons alpine my knees used to whine on the chair not anymore) , hiking is easier, and yes legs of steel after the legs of pain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, and are lifts more "fun" in the same way?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wrote this on another thread. The pros and cons as I see them;

Why?- For me it is more social- when alpine skiing with friends and my wife I ski a lot faster than them- for me the tele gear really slows me down- I get to talk to the wife more!- and I get a better work out- which I really need as I am not very fit.

It is a real challenge- I feel like a beginner again- although the learning curve is quite fast I think (so after a couple of lessons 2 years ago- some sessions in the Manchester Chill Factore and about 5 or 6 half days in les Arcs I can now tele reasonably fast on blues- ski linked turns down the fall line on reds and pisted blacks- but only survive on bumps and I am lost off piste) but my styl eneeds alot of work- I think I am wha's called a 'dog legger' or 'toe dragger'- which means that my knees are too far apart and my back leg is too far back with the back heel too high.

The feeling of tele turns is great- like skiing well off piste.

Easier to walk in tele boots (much)

It is fun and makes you think- a lot- about balance- I am sure it really helps with alpine skiing.

It is an odd thing to do- which for me is an attraction- in Les Arcs there were another 3 guys telemarking- that was it- as a minority interest this means it is quite friendly.

Very very strangely it is actually easier on the knees than alpine skiiing- both when skiing- because you absorb bumps much better in a tele stance - but also the stats are that it is the least injury prone snowsport (see ski-injury.com)- even with non-releasable bindings you are less likely to injure your acl- but if you do it is likely to be less serious than on alpine skis.

Why not?- Arguments against bothering would for me include-

wasted time when I could be skiing well on alpine gear- especially if there was lots of fresh snow (when I skied off piste I switched to alpine gear)

expense (boots about £300, skis as expensive as alpine- bindings ditto)

the fear of injury (but not the reality)

the weight of taking 2 sets of skis and boots on holiday (and the agro from the Mrs when I explained that because of this we would all only be taking 2 spare pants each on holiday- and that was it- if it was going to be cold we could always use them as balaclavas)

the pain of getting new boots and the pains involved in wearing new boots

abuse from my friends about looking like a ponce (and looking like a ponce)

On balance- I really like skiing on tele gear- I need more practice- especially on bumps and off piste (that said skiing bumps on tele skis is probably a stupid thing to do anyway)

but when there is fresh snow I will be sticking to my alpine skis for the time being- but hope that I'll be able to tele in the powder- which would be really good especially with areally low stance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edsilva, have you managed any jump turns on tele gear yet?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PsychoBabble,

Quote:

ski, and are lifts more "fun" in the same way?

Puzzled You use lifts for tele just the same as alpine ? You can use skins to leave the resort and tour - but you can do that alpine as well as tele.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, as in do you have to learn a new technique for getting on and off (which is the real reason I won't learn to board!) Embarassed edsilva, thanks for the insight my problem is Mrs Babble and the Babblers are better skiers than me so slowing me down is not a plus point! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PsychoBabble,
Quote:

you have to learn a new technique for getting on and off

No. You can use alpine techniques on tele gear just the same as on alpine. As in "Alpine skiers make parallel turns because they have too, Tele skiers make parallel turns because they can"
snow report
[quote="PsychoBabble"]ski, as in do you have to learn a new technique for getting on and off

Some lifts can throw you getting on since the heel is not locked down, there were a couple lifts on the sella ronda we really had to pay attention to getting on getting, off no problems.

Not so much the lifts more the people movers getting to the lift.
ski holidays
PsychoBabble wrote:
[
Does this involve lots of ducktape?

Undoubtedly..
ski holidays
comprex, one jump turn! on some bumps in Peisey and about 3 moguls skied with any style whatsoever- otherwise very tricky!!

PsychoBabble, if you struggle to keep up with the family on alpine gear do not tele!! When I ski on alpine gear Mrs Ed gets cross as she feels quite left behind- and in fairness not very social - off piste is better for as as stopping essential for safety. On tele gear however everything changes! I am really puffed and have to rest both for my poor heart and lungs and for my legs (neither usually an issue on alpine gear). With friends I become the last man down / covered in snow / crying for my mother.....

pinhead, is right- drag lifts of all types really quite unnerving on telegear (hence the Sella Ronda anecdote I guess)

offpisteskiing, ducktape and lama wool - ducktaped lama wool??
latest report
edsilva, got one in, that's more than quite a few peoples at my home bump.

As an interesting oddity, all the patrol are on tele now.
latest report
edsilva wrote:
Why?- For me it is more social- when alpine skiing with friends and my wife I ski a lot faster than them- for me the tele gear really slows me down- I get to talk to the wife more!- and I get a better work out- which I really need as I am not very fit.
This sounds a good reason for me. Not that I'm very fast but "Mrs Peura" is even slower. Of course she is getting faster but so am I. Comfy boots sound good too, my feet don't seem to like any rigid soled footwear.
Edit: what's all this with Llama wool? It's Nordic skiing = no Llamas. Shouldn't it be Reindeer "wool"? wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 15-10-08 18:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
peura, have you looked at a reindeer recently? Resolutely non-woolly creatures.
latest report
Lizzard, no it was about 6 months ago Smile . Have they changed? The ones I saw had what I believe to some sort of hair all over them. I suspect this is to keep them warm. Although neither as long or soft and fluffy as sheep or llama non the less I think it is possible to work this hair stuff in to make things to keep the Sami warm.
Actually though it was only supposed to be a joke rather than a serious comment. Very sorry for trying.
ski holidays
peura, you do bring up an interesting cultural oddity. Notice that the hats are of Andean design also.

Telemark goes to the US, gets spiced up with Peruvian flavours, then reimported into Yurp.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
peura, you do bring up an interesting cultural oddity. Notice that the hats are of Andean design also.
Perhaps or maybe it's just a discussion on the physical properties of reindeer hide and hair Confused . Thanks though snowHead . I'd have thought Sami designs or reindeer skin coats, etc would be the thing for a Nordic "back to basics" movement. I've made a start, I've got the gloves Toofy Grin . - ideal when it's -40C.
snow report
peura wrote:
I'd have thought Sami designs or reindeer skin coats, etc would be the thing for a Nordic "back to basics" movement. I've made a start, I've got the gloves Toofy Grin . - ideal when it's -40C.

Cool Speaking of Nordic back to basics, anyone remember what the name for the felt boots they use on snow is?

They go on the skis directly without a binding, and have very high friction on snow but can't be used on hard paved surfaces or they tear apart?
snow report
Not sure of the name. The ones that spring to my mind are more like clogs than boots. So I'm not sure they'd be much good for skiing - too much snow down the "cuff".
snow conditions
peura, sounds like they might be the ones I'm thinking of. Definitely felted soles, tho, probably off that same hair/hide.
snow report
felt boots- sure these also feature in a day in the life of ivan denisovich??
pardon spelling
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peura, great get some gear and try it!
latest report
edsilva wrote:
felt boots- sure these also feature in a day in the life of ivan denisovich??

'Zackly. What's the reindeer herder term for valenok?
snow report
comprex, I suspect the reindeer herders had something that went higher up the leg, but I think it would have been impertinent to ask Toofy Grin .
edsilva, I'm intending to try it during my next holiday. Since I'll be renting either type of skis I might or might not change back alpine after a day to two. Depends how it goes. Toofy Grin.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy