Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres in France

Poster: A snowHead
I am sure this question may have been asked before but couldnt find an answer so bear with me! I am trying to find out if any of the ski hire companies in France offer snow tyres as part of their winter package. I usually go via Geneva and book on the swiss side so it is normally not an issue. However I am planning to go from Grenoble on my next trip and all attempts to find out so far have suggested that only snow chains are provided. As most of you know these are a right pain and would much prefer snowtyres. Any info will be much appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Luke, I assume you mean car hire. And pretty much all of them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If conditions are bad the Police will make you put snowchains on even if you have winter tyres.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
Luke, I assume you mean car hire. And pretty much all of them.
Yes car hire - and the ones I have asked have said they dont supply snowtyres
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing wrote:
If conditions are bad the Police will make you put snowchains on even if you have winter tyres.
point taken but I would much prefer snow tyres for less than bad conditions I really dont like snow chains.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I really dont like snow chains.

Just out of interest, is there any reason why you have a problem with chains ??
Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jackeen, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead they do play hell with the finger nails. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have yet to see anyone, male or female, put snow chains on without rehearsing their entire repertoire of swearwords in the process.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, not spent much time in the mountains with seasonaires have you??

a couple of minutes of inconvenience to put them on/take them off........ not that you do that often with proper snow tyres...... in fact not put mine on this year at all!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winter tyres are not supplied in France as standard neither are snowchains. The best thing to do is request chains when you book. Love em or loathe them its better to be looking at them than for them wink
I've found winter tyres not to be enough some days.
The first line of the instructions reads practice putting them on before you need them. Like thats gonna happen! Step 2......?
In fairness most are colourcoded and if you follow the instructions you'll have them on in a couple of minutes, ok we had as much prctice at them this year as an F1 pit lane crew does changing wheels. I agree though the language can be pretty colur coded too for the first few attempts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
I have yet to see anyone, male or female, put snow chains on without rehearsing their entire repertoire of swearwords in the process.

Not only do I go through the full repertoire I normally invent some as well!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having never seen a snow chain are there any instructions 'online' - not that we can rehearse, but it strikes me that if we need them it is bound to be bl*(dy cold and maybe snowing, possibly dark and really I'd like at least an inkling of how to do it before we need to.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus,
Quote:

in fact not put mine on this year at all!!

from what i have read though havent you got a big yellow landy? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ianbradders wrote:
marcellus wrote:

in fact not put mine on this year at all!!

from what i have read though havent you got a big yellow landy? Very Happy

Close, blue Landie, yellow coat;

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i will look out for / avoid both then in a couple of weeks wink
ski holidays
Just make sure you request snow chains at the time of booking your car. You will still need to pay locally but if you wait until you turn up you may find that they haven't got any in stock or that they are all allocated to clients. If you get stuck you can still buy a some in a French hypermarket in the Alps and it will cost you about the same as renting them...
snow report
marcellus wrote:

Close, blue Landie, yellow coat;

Looks like brokeback mountain on ice!!!
snow report
Quote:

I normally get mine on in a couple of minutes, no swearwords. Little Angel But when it goes wrong, it tends to go very wrong - it's usually best to start over again, by which time the hands are getting cold. Getting them off is sometimes more difficult, actually, and certainly messier.
ski holidays
landie lurv Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy