Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy my first ski boots!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I've had a look at quite a few threads, including the sticky about buying ski boots and am aware of the constant debates about whether to buy in UK or at resort, but I still don't know what to do!

I 'd like to get my own boots this season. I've got 4 weeks skiing experience, I'm a nervous intermediate, fine on blues and most reds until they get a bit icy/slushy/bumpy etc! I've never had any major problems with rental boots, although I have a feeling that until you get a properly fitted pair of boots you don't know what is wrong with wrongly fitted boots!

Anyway I'm going to Lech for a week in Jan and then Whistler for 10 days in Feb so could buy at either of those resorts, but I would like to go to a recommended boot fitter.

The other option is to visit CEM, I live in Surrey so I'm not that near, but could make a special visit if needed, I'm also going to the Birmingham ski show and I think CEM is going to be there but not sure if he'll be doing boot fitting and whether it is a good idea to buy ski boots at a ski show!

Any advice anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nikweston, welcome

PM him... go to send/read messages on the link under the snowHead logo above.

You'll have more time in his shop, for sure... I am not sure what his stock is so best to ask him the best way to go about this
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nikweston, welcome to snowHeads

If you have tons of dosh - Strolz are in Lech. snowHead but that may be a bit too much for you at your stage.

There are dozens of opinions about this - I am in the "buy-in-resort" camp now - unless you can get to someone really good like CEM over here.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome... If you can see our friend CEM do it as he does a great job, but there are other options.

Personally i would sort my boots out in advance, know that they are comfortable, pack them in a bit by wearing them indoors and have a ready made excuse to go to the dry slope or snowdome, and, not have the hassle in resort. At the end of the day in the unlikely event that CEM's boots cause you a little trouble when you are in resort you can always have them looked at and fettled there. Why kill a few hours of your hols and then have very tight boots for the first week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nikweston, hello. I'm in the 'buy in resort if you can' camp; if not, you need a top notch fitter. CEM gets rave reviews, and I have been happy with Profeet on the King's Road. Both will sell you the right boots and make sure that they fit your feet like a glove. The advantage of buying in resort is that you can spend your evenings in the boot shop with a good book getting the fitting tweaked.

My OL has a pair of Strolz boots, and although it's early days, the signs are excellent. I wouldn't rule them out, since you're going to Lech; they won't cost you much if anything more than a decent pair of boots bought here or in resort and a separate fitting at a decent UK fitters (which is what I did).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nikweston, if you're based in Surrey you could try profeet in London http://www.profeet.co.uk/ski_index.asp - my OH had very problematic feet and they sorted out his boots just great. This involved a few return visits to them to iron out little niggles. Others on snowHeads have also had good reports of them.

I would also do as skimottaret suggests, personally Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i have used both CEM and Profeet and would recommend either very highly.. If profeet ask for Jimmy Bell or Hamish
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would add Michelle's name to the Profeet list; it's Michelle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nikweston, I haven't been to Profeet but it'd be difficult to do better than to go see CEM, and I'd imagine not much more troublesome to get to him than Profeet unless you work in London already.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trouble is...'buy in resort' does not automatically guarantee quality fit. There are muppets there too. Whether in resort or not go to someone that people recommend. CEM is very highly regarded by many a Snowhead.

Quote:

but that may be a bit too much for you at your stage.

Ah interesting. A well fitting boot is vitally important at any stage, I think.

good luck Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice everyone, you are right, there isn't much difference in going to Bicester or London, Bicester is about an hour and half from me, so not that far, and I hear there is a lovely outlet village!

It sounds like visiting CEM is the best option then, does no one have any reccommendations for boot fitters in Lech or Whistler? I've heard about Strolz but would be worried about the price, but might be worth looking into if it would work out the same as seeing a bootfitter and buying boots in UK
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nikweston, I wouldn't bother with Strolz, unless specifically advised. Seeing as you've previously coped with rental boots, you should be a straightforward fit. CEM is the man to see for sure. He's away for about 10 days, but worth seeing him sooner, rather than later, for the best choice of equipment available, before it sells out for this season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
i have used both CEM and Profeet and would recommend either very highly.. If profeet ask for Jimmy Bell or Hamish

Is Hamish still at Profeet? I thought He'd moved on. Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, could be, do you know where he went? Jimmy was still there a few months ago when i had my tele boots done...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, Not sure, they came up in conversation over many beers, I might be talking total twaddle about his departure, but something seems to stick about him going. Where to, can't remember.
snow report
Spyderman, from what i heard recently Hamish was concentrating on development and letting his guys do the fitting....I don't know the ins and outs but just what i heard
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy