Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey/Nancroix/Vallandry for non-skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Taking the family to Peisey Nancroix at half term, and Mrs AfE is coming along for a jolly. She won't do skiing, and she won't do ski lifts (of any description - it's a sort of claustrophobia/can't get off thing rather than heights, and she has a bit of a dodgy back so worried about falling over). Kids are having lessons with New Gen in Vallandry in the mornings, so I imagine she'll get the bus up (we're staying within 200yds or so of the bottom of the yoghurt pot lift) and meet us for lunch - but she was asking what else there is to do. Is there a gym or a pool anywhere she can get to? She's talking about snow-shoeing as well.

Any other recommendations for a non-skiing, non-lift-using reasonably active person?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there's a small pool in the hotel vanoise in plan-peisey, used to be about 15 euro to use the somewhat limited facilities (sauna, gym etc) - just a short walk uphill from the top of the youghurt pots (although slightly longer if you walk round via the road)

snowshoing is popular - have a chat to the tourist office as there might be organsied walks into the national park - the notre dame des vernettes (church) is worth a visit

there's a cinema in Vallandry that does 'version originale' which might have something else on.

Shopping will keep her amused for about an hour max

X-country in Nancroix

not much else..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett, are there not some lovely walks up and down the valley?
Its only recently I've discovered the delights of walking in ski resorts.
Always thought it would be boring - I mean: if you ski around the place, what else can you discover on a walk?
Well, you would be surprised.
For a start, at the slower pace you see things you'd never see skiing
And you get to places you'd never get to skiing.
worth giving it a go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's quite a few walking routes around, you can get a map from the lift pass office. The cinema in Vallandry hasn't done much in the way of English films this winter, the only one so far has been the wolf of Wall Street.

The cross country skiing area is quite flat so makes for a good walking area and has a cafe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would it take long to get into Bourg St Maurice by public transport? There`s a pool there plus shopping, and do the tourist office organise some kind of farm tour/trip in the winter as well as the summer?

I know the train into Bourg stops at Landry and I would guess there is a bus service too, but I am not familiar enough with the area t know how it would work without a car, someone else may be?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy from embsay, She'll have a lovely time Very Happy I was a non-skier last year, due to a recovering injury & was never bored.

The Vanoise Hotel has been done up sincebertie bassett, was there, & for 15 euros you can spend time in the indoor, piste side pool, watching the chaos ensuing on the piste outside & waving to the people on chairlift. There is a Jacuzzi, a small gym & the nicest sauna & hammam I have ever experienced.
Snowshoes can be rented for 4 euros a day from the ski rental places - I get mine from Noz Sports opposte our apartment. The tourist office run organised snowshoe walks which are definitely worth doing, but she will quickly get the hang of the snowshoes & I hope she learns to love them as I do. The cross country centre is down near where you are staying & is beautiful. On her snowshoes she will be able to visit the mines, & walk in the start of the Vanoise Park. Best vin chaud in the Fer au Cheval by the centre. I regularly walk down the hill to the cross country centre from our apartment, through the pretty hamlet Pracompuet - gorgeous walks. Also she must visit Notre Dames des Vernettes, up past La Vache - she could meet you there for lunch. Easy walk over to Arcs 1800 too. I shall post a few photos to whet her appetite. PM me for more info if you like. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The cross country skiing area is quite flat so makes for a good walking area and has a cafe.

In our XC area walking, including snowshoes, is very strictly prohibited. But in any case, why would you want to walk on the flat when you are in the mountains? Walking (but for that you need a bashed path) and snowshoeing are both great ways to spend some time - especially with a nice sauna etc to visit afterwards to ease the muscles.

Cross country skiing could be worth a go too - terrific exercise and no lifts needed. In our area I would always recommend somebody takes a lesson, and it's essential (unless you are a natural athlete and can learn by watching others) if you want to do it properly, rather than just walk on skis, which really isn't the idea. But in a flat XC area it would be a lot easier (if rather boring!).

And, of course, a good opportunity to catch up with some reading.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, They have walkers areas in the park
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

pam w, One good reason to head to the park wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy from embsay, The walk to Pracompuet

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Towards La Chenarie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Notre Dames des Vernettes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Genepi - great memories from our time in Peisey reignited by your photos! Andy, the Vanoise national park is by far one of the best (if not the best) places for non skiers to be located nearby and the snowshoe hire price in Peisey is a lot more reasonable than where we are now (Chatel). As for the Vanoise hotel, you can ski back to there and your wife will have a great afternoon in the great facilities now available and meet you for a drink on the terrace which is a suntrap! You will have a really fantastic time and so will your wife. Who are you staying with in Peisey?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Libertine's wife here - Andy, what time to the kids' lessons start? Why are they starting in Vallandry and not Plan Peisey? At the top of the yoghurt pots, lessons can start at the Peisey 61 lift which is a 2 minute walk from the top of the pots - you would be better off having lessons start and end here especially as your wife will be able to come up with you in the morning to help with the kids and then know where to meet you as the lessons would end there.

Getting to Vallandry in the morning from the yoghurt pots involves a lift and a ski or a bus so I am unsure whether you would make it in time unless you're getting drop offs from the chalet hosts?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CaravanSkier wrote:
Would it take long to get into Bourg St Maurice by public transport? There`s a pool there plus shopping, and do the tourist office organise some kind of farm tour/trip in the winter as well as the summer?

I know the train into Bourg stops at Landry and I would guess there is a bus service too, but I am not familiar enough with the area t know how it would work without a car, someone else may be?

There is a bus to Landry and then a connection but I think there's enough to do up the mountain. However, shopping is minimal so if that is something your wife likes Andy (as well as a bit of cafe culture) it may be worth the trip - approx 50 mins with a bus change.
latest report

The view towards Bellecote

andy from embsay, There is a bus from Nancroix to Vallandry which should work for lessons in the morning. It's also possible to walk to 1600 & catch the funicular to B-St-M, because I did it with a friend. Quite a hike though.
snow conditions
genepi and everyone else - thanks so much. I shall show her this tonight - looks brilliant.
latest report
It's possible to walk from Vallandry to Arc1600 as well along the edge of Foret piste, a lot of people do it.

For the adventureous, my dad did this, then took the Transarc Express up , coffee stop, then downloaded on lift, walked to Varet and went up to top of Aguille Rouge
ski holidays
julietp, not sure if I've got confused. New Gen says they meet at the bottom of the Vallandry chair opposite Bar Maxima(?) - is that Vallandry or Plan Peisey? I'm sure that after the first day they'll be able to meet elsewhere if it's more convenient. I think the chalet will drop us off anyway if needed - it's included in the price.
latest report
andy from embsay, Bar Maxima is in Vallandry, just behind the Vallandry lift - in fact, I think it's been renamed this year to Bistrot Savoyard
snow conditions
Thanks genepi - so I guess that makes getting the kids up to their first lesson on day one a bit of a challenge - I'm sure I've seen somewhere that after the first day they're usually happy to meet you somewhere up the hill. Is the lift up from the lobster pots a long one? I think we'll either get the chalet to drive us or get the bus to the tourist office - is that much of a walk to the Vallandry lift?
ski holidays
It might be a bit of a walk but there is nice food so try:

http://www.restaurant-lancolie-nancroix.com/
latest report
andy from embsay, Its a 5 min walk from the tourist office, or a minute from where they could drop you off - easier for you to be honest - just ask to be dropped as close as possible to the Valladry lift. The lobsterpots take about 10mins, but it can be busy first thing & there may be a queue at that time. You'd only want to do that if they could meet you at the Peisey lift.

Hyst, +1 for L'Ancolie & it's very close to where andy from embsay, is staying Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks - I'll see what they say about giving us a lift - I've emailed them and told them our dilemma!
ski holidays
genepi, And David Possoin is I think the son of the house of L'Ancolie. Little Angel
snow report
Hyst, He is! We were there once when he had been racing & his poor mum was a nervous wreck Laughing
latest report
genepi, Last year I was there and she was very proud of him, and the hole valley celebrating him for som price.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy