Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Review of Serre Chevalier please..?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry Im new here and cant find a search button for old posts?

Has anyone got any experience of serre che and what its like for skiing and nightlife?

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks in Advance Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jbo, welcome to SnowHeads.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jbo, Serre Chevalier is a resort made up of 3 main villages,and a town . In order from highest to lowest, Le Monetier-les-Bains (1500m), Villeneuve-la Salle (1400m), Chantemerle/St Chaffrey (1350m), and Briancon (1200m). This is not a high purpose-built resort, but villages in the valley, with the skiing above. You can ski back to the villages for most of the season.
Skiing is 250km of pistes ranging from nursery slopes, long cruising runs for the intermediates, and great off-piste for advanced skiers, which could include a visit to La Grave.
Other resorts are included on the lift pass, such as Montgenevre, Les Deux-Alpes and Alpe d'Huez.
Nightlife is not jumping, although there are some lively bars and a nightclub in Villeneuve. Bars and restaurants tend to be a bit cheaper than other big French resorts. Monetier is more traditional and French. Briancon is a World Heritage site with a 17th century walled citadel and fortress.
I could go one, but I will leave it to others to add more detail.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?search_id=1771589543&start=30

My search results for Serre Chevalier.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for the warm welcome and help Helen!

The search doesnt show any links though? Ive basically been offered a HB deal here and with lift pass it comes to £432.50 each in January which seems to be a pretty good deal?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jbo, which hotel?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jbo, sorry about the link.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Club Hotel La Balme. I think its also used for school ski holidays so a bit concerned about the quality. But TBH this year is all about budget!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jbo, tbh, I think it is a bit of a dump, although I haven't stayed in it myself, my place is in Monetier. I did stay close by, and it was full of school kids.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fantastic skiing. went there last year. fantastic range of skiing highlights being monetier and off the porel chair. we were very fortunate to have 3 days of snow so conditions were pretty good
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jbo, PM on the way for those transfer buses.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Dan and Helen Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We love Serre Che - have stayed once over Christmas and twice in March and would still go back. All areas are linked by ski or regular ski bus. Some great inexpensive mountain restaurants/cafes. Son enjoyed snowboarding and there is a snowboard park. Particularly enjoyed the skiing in Monetier and link over to Villeneuve. Have not stayed in La Balme but think it is an Equity/Rocket Ski place? Have had a few holidays with them and usually pretty good value for money, etc. Any niggles have been more than made up for by the rest of the guests! Might be worth checking there isn't a school party also booked in - this usually comes up in red somewhere during the process of booking online.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if your deal includes flights and transfer may be tought to beat. If its half board and lift pass might be worth considering your options. Try hotel dubez in le bez. we stayed in apartments there which were fantastic. the hotel looked comfortable and the daily menu pretty amazing. Le bez is quiet hamlet off villeneux
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jbo, welcome to snowHeads. Great resort choice. You could have a look at Skitopia. They seem to have some "all-inclusive" Clubhotel deals at the moment if you book in October. Prices include ski pass and standard boot/ski hire. I've no interest in the company - someone else posted a link about the deals a few weeks ago.
snow report
Been to Briancon and Serre Chevalier in the summer - beautiful area but for the ski infrastructure much like anywhere wink We did a day trip up to a glacier near by, retreating fast apparently. There was a lake below it that we could walk around, can anyone think where?
snow conditions
I stayed in Villeneuve, which is in the middle so good access to the whole area, lots of pistes and usually good snow
Lifts are ok but there are a few old, slow chairs and and drag lifts
Nightlife is rather limited, although you can always find some lively bars

Overall its a good resort and I would not hesitate to go back
latest report
Can somebody tell me the draglifts to avoide in Serre Chevalier please? thank you

andytb, would that place be La Grave? It has a receeding glacier, a walk to a lake and is near Serre Chevalier.

We took the lift up their this summer.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-10-08 21:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Jbo, lA Balme was Luc Alphand's family's place I recall. Not too bad a stagger to the lifts in Chantemerle. We stayed in the hotel next door which WAS a club hotel but luckily no schoolkids. Chantemerle is nice - the Cafe de Biere [if it is stll there of course as have not been for couple of years] is pretty good for ..beer! And for watching the world and his wife hurtling to certain physio appointents down the Olympique black run. NehNeh

Christopher, ALL of them. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have bad memories of Cretes above Frejus. Got a nasty jerky start and couple of vicious doglegs. But I have bad memories of most draglifts... Evil or Very Mad They've been pretty systematically taking a lot of them out over the years and replacing with chairs. I have skied my @ss off there and never used a drag lift in a week, so it is possible.
latest report
MarjMJ, Im staying in Monetier. I believe to access Chantemerle/Villeneuve/Briancon it requires drag lifts after the Frejus chair.
snow report
Christopher, going by Google Earth and Panoramio pics you're spot on! Thank you!! It was a long time ago now however we parked up in a car park in the bottom and walked up. I don't recall it taking that long but looks quite a distance.

We had a pic (I think, now, lost) taken of the group by this pile of rocks
snow report
Christopher, most of the reallly bad drag lifts have been replaced, and the majority of the remaining ones can be avoided, even Cretes, but only if you need take an even worse one. I will have to dig out the piste maps if no-one else has put you right this evening, as TBH I don't really think about it any more. I'll have a look later, off to work now.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Thank you very much.

Is the best way to get to Chantermerle from Monetier is by descending to Villeneuve and taking the Casse de Beouf?
snow report
Christopher, not really - better off going across higher up.
ski holidays
Having skied there last year, I agree with Lizzard but Casse De Beouf on a good day is such fun. Its marked black but don't let that put you off. Because of the snow and wind one day we skied it all day its a great run and one not to miss. However you need to go back up at bottom of Cuacamelle and cut across the top to get to chantlemerle.
snow report
Christopher, no, definitely not. For the more sedate route, at the bottom of the Cucumelle, take the Frejus chair which is just past the Pontillas Gondola station. Then ski down to the Cretes drag lift, and down to the Cote Chevalier chairlift . YOu will end up above the top of the Casse du Boeuf .Don't worry too much about the drag lift, long, and yes, there is a pull at the start,but not that bed, there are much worse. If the snow is excellent, you could ski down to Villeneuve, on the green Frejus or red Le Bez piste, but it is not the best route to take . The hard route is to ski past the Cretes, take a right at the Frejus gondola station, down the mogul field to the Pres du Bois drag (this is the one to avoid if you can,as it is really steep ), this takes you to the top of the Casse du Beouf chair. http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Piste-map
snow conditions
We're also going to Villeneuve in Jan, staying at the Grand Aigle. We were warned when we booked that there was a school trip staying the same week. The way I see it is that an army of kids can't be any worse than some of the idiots you encounter on summer holidays who have too much sun, too much beer and one volume setting (very loud) at 4.00 in the morning! Plus the price we were quoted was enough to compensate for it. We're taking our 10 year old son with us so we'd be a bit hypocritcal if we started giving it a load of chelp about kids ha ha.

If it's warm, dry, edible food, nice drink and more importantly great skiing it's good enough for us. Roll on January snowHead
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Beat me to the routes! This has been why we've been thinking about staying other places as the start from Pontillas means you have to come back down the Bez run to the Casse de Boeuf and it can be a bit icy for a creaky first run.

Christopher, You could scrum onto the ski bus Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarjMJ, Instead of skiing, I dont think so. snowHead

Got to maximise skiing time in my solitary week a year.
ski holidays
Cafu, the Aigle has two bars, and I believe they usually reserve one for adult guests and leave the schools with the games room/sport bar downstairs. You won't eat meals with the school groups either.
snow report
Not sure that anyone directed Jbo to the "Search" facility. Look on the photo top-left of the page.
snow report
Thank you Snowball Very Happy Has anyone got any experience of skitopia as their deals look quite reasonable?
snow report
Lizzard - thanks very much for the info, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cafu
snow report
Jbo, apologies, that was what my link above was meant to show.
latest report
We have been to Serre Che twice with Skitopia on last minute deals which were incredible value for money. We had great holidays both times. HOWEVER it depends what you expect for your money. We stayed both times at the Hotel Sporting and had comfy beds, hot water, plenty of food and inclusive beer/wine/soft drinks until about 11pm. The food was not gourmet standard but that doesn't bother us as we go for the skiing. Hotel held together with selotape but that didn't bother us either frankly! Staff were young, friendly, helpful and enthusiastic on both occasions - daresay there will be other experiences which will differ from ours however! They also cater for school parties which is why the accommodation is fairly basic I suppose. Also had two half price holidays with Skitopia in their 'luxury' chalet in Reberty. Absolute bargains, but standards had definitely gone down on the second holiday. When we wrote to Skitopia to point this out, no reply whatsoever - draw your own conclusions. Haven't been with them for the past two years but would probably go with them again if the bargain was right. When you look at what their prices include, they are really good value for money. No doubt someone who has travelled with them more recently than us may have had a totally different experience and a view on whether the negative points now outweigh the good?
ski holidays
Jbo, Try this thread over in Trips.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy