Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best foot forward

Poster: A snowHead
hi have boarded for five - one week holidays now but on the last one i decided to change from goofey [ sorry bout spellin ] to regular as although when set up goofy i found it easier to ride regular but then again found it easier to ride switch with goofy set up, now if that has'nt confused you my main question is ' what are the factory settings for the angles on bindings' and can anyone give me any tips on if the board handles different / easier with certain set ups. i have tended to use the settings that were on the board when i rented it but am looking to experiment when i next go ( 15 weeks to go ] . any comments would be welcome.
andrew snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andybabes, I thought that Goofy was a cartoon dog and regular a small coffee. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Flow bindings can be set at any angle whatsoever because it is based on a circular pad ratchet thingy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
there is no such thing as factory settings, rental boards get set up for beginners/common angles, your rental board was probably set up +18 +6 or something like that. Try anything you like, from +21 to +9 on the front to +9 -21 on the back, you dont want less on the front than the back, +9 -12 for example. Experiment with it, see what you like. If you're going switch a lot then almost the same for both feet is good. I'm rocking +15 -12 I think now. If you're just going to ride forwards and carve it up a bit then +18 +6 is alright.
If you go too far with the back angles, like -24 and on or something then you'll get pain in your upper legs if your riding doesnt match the reason for such a big angle.
Experiment, that's half the fun of snowboarding, and what sets it apart from sk***g if you ask me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andybabes, I ride goofy and used to have mine set duck (like a duck's feet), both feet pointing the opposite directions. A typical 'duck' setting is -15/+15 so the toes are pointing outwards, the heels being closer together than the toes. I used to find that worked well but the main problem I had was when proper razzing it down hill, I found it a little hard to quickly shift my weight for quick turns, especially when making a heel edge turn. Toe edges were great, because I seemed to feel more in control of the carve, but heel edge turns felt wierd, as if the back fo the board wasn't gripping and the carve becoming to wide.

I've now set mine to -5/+17, so my right foot (front) is pointing more in the direction I'm going, with the rear (left) foot nearly at 90 degrees to the board. I just feel this helps me turn on both edges and gives me a more comfortable ride over mixed terrain.

I started off regular but I found my front foot (which is now my rear foot when riding goofy) just wasn't allowing me to put enough weight onto it. I've had a few leg injuries over the years so i reckon they had something to do with that.

I found that standing up (as you normally would) and then taking a look at the angles of how your feet are is a good starting point to work out your binding position. Just experiment until you find a comfort zone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops wrote:
My Flow bindings can be set at any angle whatsoever because it is based on a circular pad ratchet thingy

doesnt help you when the highback falls off and you die, probably NehNeh
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Specialman, highback rotation sorts out the weight thing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, I take it you don't mean forward lean? Not sure how I 'rotate' the highbacks on my Elevens.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
as far as I'm aware you can't rotate them Sad

stolen from the burton forum.

before

after
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

i do not need my high back to fall off to die, probably, I seem to be getting there quite nicely with out such technical assistance Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing like a good binding setting discussion to drag you lot out of your posting slump
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Nothing like a good binding setting discussion to drag you lot out of your posting slump

sad but true !!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DebbiDoesSnow, lol it's true Embarassed

rayscoops,
Quote:

Don't know if I'm getting what you mean: aren't all bindings? I can change mine with either a hex nut for the angle or a screwdriver for the high back.

+15/-6 tempted to go -9 for teh steeze but there's probably no advantages for what I do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, I was going to say 'all binding types' but I have not used 'all binding types', so I left it vague and wishy washy Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get a bootfitter to measure your; Stance, Pronation and Ab-Duction. Then let them set it up for you properly.
ski holidays
God knows what my setting are... I just go for what feels right ... you lot are nerds for knowing the exact parameters
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, didn't see many bindings in your emporium NehNeh

DebbiDoesSnow, that's why you're always on yer ar5e Razz
snow report
Swirly, its never my ar$e, its normally my face Laughing
snow report
Swirly, But there are always plenty of feet, what are you putting in your bindings? Cool
latest report
stab wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

Spray them gold, that'll fix it wink

Seriously, though: the power triangle thing (silly name, it's just a strong cable) will probably stop that from happening. I read one horror story (see Post #9) and while I have much sympathy with the poster, I can't help but wonder if their bindings were old/badly maintained - certainly this doesn't seem like a high probability event with newer Flows, where the release lever doesn't look very catchy (so to speak).

One thing I can say is that Flows do take a lot more adjusting to get right when you first wear them than regular two-strap bindings... but in my opinion it's well worth it.

As for Flow bindings being inherently dangerous compared to two-straps, I have yet to see any evidence of this and I don't buy it. I snowboarded in March this year with a guy who dislocated his knee during the week when his (poorly maintained) two-strap rental bindings gave out on him on a steep red, causing him to be suddently one-footing it down the fall line...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: show your bindings some love, whether they be Flow or two-strap or hard-boot Eurocarve monstrosities... Razz
latest report
Shallimus wrote:
Spray them gold, that'll fix it wink

now you're talking, glad you can see my point of view now Smile
snow report
stab, as it happens i just sprayed the back of some glass with metallic silver paint !!! and I have a can of the gold stuff too, so maybe my Flows will get some of that ....... then all I will need is some Kill Bill yellow boots ...... Very Happy
snow conditions
JP, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
JP, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
JP, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
whoops Embarassed
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you put feet in them? No wonder I've been struggling.

Serious answer: I think binding angle is something you can work out by yourself with experimentation no doubt all the things you mention determine what works best for an individual and you'd probably be able to suggest a near best angle quicker than it could be worked out by the end user. Angles are also defined by the type of riding e.g. stab spends half his time going backwards so has the -12 on the back while for years I rode +9 on the back foot as I just didn't do switch now I do and it's -6.

The issue of fitted boots is another one entirely though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Swirly, I kinda agree, but defining stance width in accordance with muscle propreception, pronation and abduction can imoprove; comfort, control and strength. I have never met a snowboarder that has been spot on with their angles and hasn't benefited from these techniques.
Bootfitting Snowboarders is a waste of time unless they're chicks. Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy