Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very cold hands

Poster: A snowHead
Last season I suffered from freezing hands. My current gloves aren't good enough because when I get to the higher slopes my hands go numb and start stinging badly.

I've also tried those heat pack things. Didn't work either.

So I'm not letting it happen again this season.

What are some good gloves you guys can recommend? No mits either, please. Not a fan of them.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having cold hands sucks!

Are your hands getting cold through poor circulation? or have the gloves got wet through sweat and melted snow, thus causing them to freeze up?

Depending upon what is causing the problem may determine the best solution for you. If its poor circulation, then you may have to bite the bullet and get some mitts (dont panic not those ones with bits of string that your mum used to thread up your sleeves ((or was it just my mum?)) a Pair of 3 finger mitts gives you better dexterity and allows your fingers to stay toasty) There are plenty of great glove manufacturers out there - but i swear by Hestra. Very Happy

http://www.hestragloves.com/www/live/hestragloves/HGProduct.aspx?TreeID=321

If its wet gloves that freeze - cunningly Hestra seem to be unaffected by this the leather palms have stayed supple and unfrozen and the inners have kept my fingers toasty. Apart from after i have foolishly let them sit on the table and freeze up instead of keeping them in my jacket or as extra insulation when sitting down for a coffee/ beer Smile .. doh. Embarassed

So i suppose after the ramble above id recommend:

Poor Circulation = Army Leather 3-finger Mitt
Sweaty wet gloves = Army Leather Heli Ski

And if push comes to shove you can always use the silk liner, keeps you hands extra toasty and you can keep them on when having a brew etc, if you have sweaty hands they stop the inners getting so wet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like I'll have to try the 3 fingered mitts. I'm pretty sure it's caused by poor circulation because my gloves weren't wet, it just starts happening as I get higher up the mountain.

It's good how can still move your index finger though.

Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have to second the silk glove liners - cheaper than a new pair of mittens or gloves too
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dozza, try the search facility yourself, but here is at least one thread in which this has been discussed before. I'm a silk liner fan myself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not just use a full mit? Much warmer than a glove.

Another option is to buy a overmit. I have some North Cape ones which I put over my gloves when its cold or wet and add extra warmth. That way you can adjust to try and stop sweating, then getting cold.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of Burton gloves that are essentially 3 in 1. There is a liner glove with grippy palm that can be worn on their owm, then the outer gore tex glove which is lined and can be worn on its own, or you can wear the two together, i've used them in a variety of conditions and they've been great. Also they have a little zip comparement in them that you can fit a warm pack in too . . . i've never had to use this though. I was worried that the 2 layers together would be too stiff, reduce mobility and cuase circulation problems but they've been fine
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you wear a hat?
If your body is losing heat from your head then the extremities will feel it as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go for some Hestra Mitts. Purely recommending Hestra as I use them myself and they are great.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dozza, I would go for the North Face or the Low Alpine Silk thermals, They are like tights under a good pair of waterproof gloves. They will keep your hands warm even when the outer gloves are soaked and had enought

They work just like the base layers most skiers wear.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another tip is to get some sweat bands and wear them over your wrist where the skin is the thinnest and you can see all the veins......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suffer as well, but now take the following approach:

A hat, a neck warmer, at least 2 helly hansen-type tops, silk liners.
I do spend quite a lot of time complaining how warm I am but it is far far better than feeling cold Happy
You can always remove a layer
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Instead of quoting, I'll just answer the questions.

Yep, I wear a beanie and my body is warm enough, I just have bad circulation in my hands. My hands even get freezing in winter when I'm not at the snow which results in me getting bad dry skin. I even have to wear cotton gloves to college when it's really cold.

I'll try get some of the inners and stuff you guys recommended but some of them will be most likely difficult to find here.

I'll try get the Hestra mitt ones as mentioned above, if not I guess I'll just grab another good pair of Hestra's that I could find.

Are there any more gloves anyone would like to recommend?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stick yer hands in yer pockets or under yer oxters wink

i used to get cold hands but i bought a pair of Marmot "ultimate ski gloves". Pricey (£90-ish) but brilliant. I do carry inner gloves in my pack but haven't had to use them since getting the marmots (3 seasons / 100-odd days). Pretty much bombproof too. Only drawback is on spring(-ish) days where they're deffo too warm, so may not work as your only pair
I'm sure there are plenty of other similarly good ones out there
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got really cold hand when I was in the lakes the other week - def. gloves next time. My hands got that cold that they began to hurt when I moved them - the problem was I didn't notice that they were actually getting cold.
ski holidays
I don't suffer....but a friend who does swears by wrist warmers (sweat bands!) and a warm hat.
snow conditions
Try those handwarmers - Mycoal, I think. Buy a bumper pack for eight quid (ish). My wife uses them. Not bulky, though best against the backs of your hands rather than in the palms. For gloves try Hestra Army Leather (the two-finger versions) or Black Diamond Patrol gloves - both on-sale at most stores. Wool liners, breathable, durable, brilliant. I couldn't choose between them.
ski holidays
Icebreaker do merino wool glove liners - I found them warmer than silk ones with the added bonus that they don't get caught on the velcro bits on your jacket
snow report
Mrs Phorn wrote:
Icebreaker do merino wool glove liners - I found them warmer than silk ones with the added bonus that they don't get caught on the velcro bits on your jacket

Ah, that's interesting. Do they do them in a really light weight? What I like about silk ones is the lack of bulk.
snow conditions
I have used these in the worst winter weather that most people would just not go out in.
A great glove and very warm too...

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Activity/Expedition_and_Mountaineering/Ice_Gauntlet_Black_X-Small.html

Terra nova also has the Ice Glove on sale too, a shorter glove without the fleece linner glove....Half Price...

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Type/Gloves_and_Mitts/Ice_Glove_Black_Medium.html
snow conditions
Dozza, You haven't been diagnosed with Raynaud's ? as this is something that I am seeing more and more on my clients medical forms.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068813/
latest report
Hurtle, they're a bit weightier/thicker than silk ones but still very fine wool. I wouldn't call them bulky at all
snow report
Mrs Phorn wrote:
Hurtle, they're a bit weightier/thicker than silk ones but still very fine wool. I wouldn't call them bulky at all
Great. On my shopping list. Toofy Grin
snow report
Dozza, Cold hands do make the winter miserable, and get the best quality glove will help alot but also making sure your body core stays warm so a primaloft or very thin and light down vest should help more. As your body gets colder your body will try to maintain core temperature and will sacrifice blood flow to your extremities making them feel cold to start with then moving on the numbness and frostbite
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Mrs Phorn wrote:
Great. On my shopping list. Toofy Grin

And mine Very Happy
snow conditions
I use "Little Hotties" all the time, I sold them on Ebay last year and did OK with them, I am selling them again, but with a voucher code from Ebay I am virtually giving them away

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180284205821&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=008

The code I got sent was : csv3 :I don't know if this is an exclusive code to me or a code that will work for everyone (Suppose I should have checked before posting) But I am sure that quite a few of you have been sent the same email from ebay, which may or may not have a different code exclusive to your account.

I don't know if it will work for you, but if it does happy days with warm hands. If it doesn't work for you, no problem, don't go through with the sale, I will not leave NEG. What I will do however is donate £1 for every 12 pack sold through snowheads back to Snowheads.

In my feedback state Snowheads and the moderator can check it.

I know I am pimping my wares here but I feel with the donation it is justified.

BTW I really do use them and they are great, the donation will only be for the 12 pack. snowHead snowHead

Hope I dont get slated here for selling my wares, but I feel with the donation it is justified. I will leave it up to the moderator, if this is not in order please remove.
latest report
Hurtle, Helen Beaumont, oh blimey, that'll be me in trouble if you hate them Shocked

wink
snow conditions
Mrs Phorn, worry not, it's "buyer beware" on here! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was dogsledding near Banff the head man swore by beaverskin mitts - apparently the best fur going for its insulation & waterproof properties. I tried them on ....amazing!!

Haven't seen any in Snow & Rock or TK Maxx yet though Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy