Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Austrian Resort with good night life?(split from resort opening dates)

Poster: A snowHead
hi! me and my 2 girlfriends decided 2 go on a skying hols. none of us ever been on the skying hols yet so i am just hoping if anyone 1 could help us with some tips, which is the best austrian resort 2 choose from. somewhere with good night life. we like 2 party! thanks 2 everyone who can help x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sstaig, Welcome. Lots of info on here, you just need to be more specific and the replies will come flooding in (dates, budget, accommodation etc) and will probably help if you try skiing as opposed to skying though some people combine the two Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sstaig, welcome to snowHeads. Although I've not been to Austria, I researched quite a few resorts with the following criteria: budget, snow reliability and entertainment (there will be 2 late teenagers in our group). On that basis we opted to book in Mayrhofen. There seemed to be some well-priced options, lively bars and a decent snow record (we're going earlyish in the season - January).

As Lou mentions, there are plenty of snowHeads with very good first hand experience of Austria who'll be be happy to provide advice if you can indicate some of your requirements more specifically.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sstaig,

Welcome to snowheads.

Places such as

Ischgl
Sölden
St Anton
Saalbach
spring to mind but what level of skiing/snowboarding and how important is on piste time to the group?

PS are you female or just a lucky bloke?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sstaig, Welcome to sH - It would help to know your skiing ability, and budget etc

St Anton
Saalbach
Ischgl
Solden
Mayrhofen
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, DB, it's their first holiday!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:

PS are you female or just a lucky bloke?

DB, I was about to ask the same question, good thing I scanned the replies first.

You've certainly been on form recently!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should definitely go to Maryhofen 21 to 25 January Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
IncogSkiSno, DB, it's their first holiday!!

So assuming they aren't expert skiers who have picked up their skills at Tamworth .....

Looks like Saalbach would best suit their skiing & drinking level (the most beginner terrain exc St Anton which is an expert resort)

http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/

http://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/

http://www.bergfex.com/soelden/

http://www.bergfex.com/ischgl/

http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sstaig, First time skiing? You and your two girlfriends? Good nightlife? Well I make that Pimms o'clock!!!

Sorry I got carried away, try Soll if you are on a budget, Kitzbuhel mid-high range, and Ischgl if you are an oligarch or would like to meet one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you very much 4 all your messages! they are a lot of help!
we have never been skiing( spelt it right this time). our budget would be between 300-400 pounds, 450 top! just wanted to know what would we need when we get there, how much money we need to take with us to survive 4 a wk and any other userful tips. thanks a lot. and for those who wondered whether i am a bloke? i am 100% female x
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sstaig, another vote for Saalbach to meet your needs, although any half decent sized Austrian resort can be a good laugh... you only need a handful of a quality, rather than a heap of crap! Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sstaig, If you're on a budget then Soll is your place.

Prices for Soll, all in Euros. Ski School 140 for 5 days. Ski and boot hire 75 for 6 days. Full lift pass 181. If you were born in 1990 or after you can get a youth pass for 140
As a beginner you will not need a full pass for the first few days and it could work out a lot cheaper than the full price.

Drinking- about 3 euros for a large beer, glass of wine 4 euros, shots about 2.5. In the local shops food and drink is about the same price as supermarkets here .

Lunch on the mountain about 8 to 15 euros with a drink.

So you need £1000 for drinking and about £20 for food.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 2-09-08 22:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saalbach
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bad Gastein's pretty good for nightlife. The Silver Bullet bar in the centre has some of the best Apres Ski i've ever been to!!!

www.silverbulletbar.com

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
skid & slide, Is it just Soll thats cheap for beer in Austria or it generally cheaper for drinks in Austria than it is in the French Alps?
I dread to think how much it will be for a pint in Tignes and ADH this winter-6 euros plus i'd imagine? Austria is the only main European country that i've yet to ski-as i've never seemed to of got the deals for there and i've always succumbed to the ski convenience of the french resorts in the past but i'd deff like to try Austria at some stage.
latest report
€2.50 a large beer on the mountain in Saalbach this year (and last). Evan at the near 1:1 exchange rate that's still cheap compared to UK prices.
ski holidays
Atomic_Mick1970, I've found most Austrian resorts cheaper than France but Soll is the cheapest I've found. But having said that Iscghl is up there with the 3v's, when it comes to nightlife cost of drinks
ski holidays
Sell am Zee could be worth a punt too, not so many bars as Saalbach, but still a good fun place to go.
latest report
sstaig, we've been to both Soll and Zell am See - Zell am see is a bit more upmarket than Soll but we had a brilliant time in both. Lots of good bars and a good Italian restaurant in Soll. Zell am See had two bars that seemed to attract the crowds - Crazy Daisy and another one about 200m away from there but I can't remember the name.

We though Soll was pretty cheap and there was loads of skiing.
snow conditions
Mrs johnboy, was it Greens or something like that?
latest report
sstaig,

Soll, no question..good entry level and plenty of people looking for fun.

Nice village although the walk to the slopes might be off-putting but you're young, you can cope, its only 5 mins in ski boots.
The ski school is used to handnling Brits and there will be many like-minded people

The night life will sort you out as well
ski holidays
St Anton would be the ideal place if you could ski. The apres ski is the best ever. Also, needs a few more girls going there. Pity you're on a budget as the men outnumber the women a fair bit. If you look hard enough you could find cheap accommodation but really the skiing around the village is not suited for beginners. Lech would fit the bill but NOT for people on budget.

Agrre that Saalbach would be a good place to go. Stunning scenery, great apres and decent slopes. Check the official website to get rooms booked www.saalbach.com Close to Salzburg airport too which easyjet and Ryanair fly to.
ski holidays
Hi, try with St Anton or Mayrhofen.
snow report
sstaig, but overall, especially if you have a good few drinks even at bargain prices, your holiday is going to cost you considerably more £300 - £400 pounds. At the present horrible exchange rate the skiing element alone will be around £300, to which you have to add a basic package, and food and drink in resort. £600 would be quite good going.
latest report
angel_ski wrote:
Hi, try with St Anton.

For beginners? Are u mad? Wink
latest report
OK - now count on spending £765 on Jägermeister Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Is St Anton really that bad for beginners? Like Mayrhofen nothing to stop you coming back down on cable car/bubble. Ski school teach beginners all the time, in all resorts. I'd be quicker to say don't go if they were just past beginner stage. But then again, it's a long walk to the Kangaruh or even the Moose. I know, did it this year after realising that whiteout and torn cartiledge were inhibitinbg my ability to get down the hill. If that ever happens again I will ski on one leg to avoid that climb.

Re cost, Mayrhofen £20 a night accomodation, Flight £65 to Zurich, carhire £120 split 3 ways. Not too dear?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghost Dog, Since you've been you'll probably know this but the problem for beginners in St Anton is the moguls and the volume of people on the runs going fast (I don't remember seeing one snow plougher in St Anton). In the afternoon all runs down to the village are mogul fields and a nightmare for a beginner. If you want them to ski more than once bring them to an easier resort first.

But the night life is great there, although must Austrian resorts have a good apres ski atmosphere.
latest report
Ghost Dog, wot Peter Ross said.
snow report
Hi, a few suggestions...

St.Anton- The town itself is mostly bars, hotels and sports shops. Those seeking upscale shopping will be better served 20 minutes away at upscale Lech. In St. Anton, people don't go exclusively for the partying but, in the words of one local, it is "great added value after the skiing."

Innsbruck’s club and bar scene is a good value compared to other European ski resorts such as in Gstaad, Switzerland and Chamonix, France where prices tend to go higher. Drinks and entrance fees are in the reasonable range, and the places are usually fun and lively.

Ischgl has it all—40 lifts, more than 230 km of wide trails, cross-border skiing runs into Switzerland, off-trail areas, cross-country, Alpine village atmosphere, inviting local cuisine, both luxury and affordable lodging options, and some of the wildest après-ski and nightlife in Austria. There is so much fun to be had in Ischgl I recommend resting up before you go. Be forewarned, nearly 50 percent of Ischgl’s skiers are from Germany, so if you want to meet people, it helps to speak some German.. If that’s not an option, you’ll fit in if you just practice dancing in your ski boots.
www.ischgl.com/en-ski-vacation-tyrol.htm

Ischgl is even more known for being a partying resort than St Anton, but you can also try Kitzbuhel, Saalbach, Obertauern, etc.

Obertauern- easy connections from Salzburg in about 1 hour. Is a great place on high altitude - normally excelent snow conditions - great apre ski and nightlife. The town is compact - basically one street you can walk or ski most everywhere. Even ski bridges across the street so no need to take ski off to reach other lifts. www.obertauern.at
snow report
Agreed, runs back into St Anton are a pain late afternoon, but as I said before, you don't have to ski them. My problem with St A is expense, a four day trip cost us almost a grand last year, while Mayrhofen came in the previous year at about £600 ish, even with the deteriorating exchange rate that's a big difference. So you'll find me in Scotland Yard this year rather than the Mooserwirt.

Re beginners, my daughter learnt to to Ski in St A a couple of years ago, she was basically a beginner (three weeks of being made to cry by ESF doesn't count), a week in St Anton and she was a happy four year old, she made it down to the village often enough, both with her class and with her family.
latest report
Ghost Dog, I agree St Anton is expensive although when I was there we stayed in guesthouses so acommodation was reasonable but Tour Ops seem to charge a premuium to go to St Anton.
snow conditions
Österreich sprechen Deutsches haben mehr Spaß Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy