Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Feb 09

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey people!

Skied for the first time in Valle Nevado Chile in July and loved it. I want to head to Chamonix in Feb as is it seems like a happening place with lots to do. Most of my mate's are going to snowbombing in March but i have work commitments and can't make it.
I only skied for a day in Chile but picked it up pretty quick, so i am going to need a few lessons etc, is Chamonix the place for me??

Will be travelling on my own so i have been checking out hotels and found this place called Hotel Le Vert, has anyone stayed here? or got any opinions on the place.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated, will probably travel on the 8th of Feb for a week or more.

Nice one

Darragh / Dublin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DMC75 wrote:
Hey people!

Skied for the first time in Valle Nevado Chile in July and loved it. I want to head to Chamonix in Feb as is it seems like a happening place with lots to do. Most of my mate's are going to snowbombing in March but i have work commitments and can't make it.
I only skied for a day in Chile but picked it up pretty quick, so i am going to need a few lessons etc, is Chamonix the place for me??

Will be travelling on my own so i have been checking out hotels and found this place called Hotel Le Vert, has anyone stayed here? or got any opinions on the place.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated, will probably travel on the 8th of Feb for a week or more.

Nice one

Darragh / Dublin

Hi Darragh

Welcome to snowHead

Glad to hear of someone else feeling the stoke!

Personally at you level I'd avoid Chamonix like the plague, as you've not done enough skiing to get the most out of it. Once you're happy off-piste then chamonix would be a good place to enjoy. There are a number of resorts that are much easier to improve your skiing at than Cham that's for sure.

If you're travelling on your own, then perosnally I think it's more fun to try and meet up with some others, rather than just staying in a hotel on your own which could be a little dull. Generally chalet holidays are usually good fun, as you eat around the dinnner table and can get to talk to other people easily. Nothing quite as dull as reading books for dinner in ski resort (been there done it!)
Have a look on here for people needing 1 more for a group, www.pisteapals.com and neilson run a good 'solo skiers' forum - http://www.neilson.co.uk/View-Forum.aspx?forumID=41. Also have a look at Cold-Fusion Chalets in Morzine - which I think would be quite a good option for you http://www.coldfusionchalets.co.uk/

I would focus on resorts where it's straightforward to progress to the next level - you want to find wider green and blue runs and then perhaps some easy reds. A classic example of such a venue would be Alpe D'Huez, where its very easy to progress. There are tonnes of resorts, and everyone will recommend a different one - to try and make head or tale of it then have a look at
http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=100 and you can put in your criteria - select say beginner and offslope as a couple and see what it suggests.

In addition look to get some decent instruction and personally I prefer the independent schools to the Ecole de Ski Francais, again people on here will be quick to offer recommendations once you know your resort.

You talk about going on the 8th of feb for possibly 2 weeks - w/c 15th Feb is the UK half-term which is hell on earth for virtually all major French ski resorts. Accommodation is stupidly expensive for that week and it's over run with kids, with long lift queues. Plus getting home on the following weekend will be a nightmare. I would strongly recommend to go w/c 1 feb if you think you are likely to want to go for 2 weeks.

Enjoy - you've found an addictive sport
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DMC75, welcome. While I would disagree strongly with bertie bassett's advice re Chamonix (I am biased) there are indeed many places to consider. His advice on timing is also spot on.

www.ultimate-ski.com is worth a look. I'd consider Morzine, Les Gets, Cervinia, Courmayeur, ...

I have no idea about Austria but I understand the apres ski can be kicking.

Essentially, pick almost any resort in mid-winter and you'll find it'll be rather lively.

Independent ski schools can sometimes be better, sometimes not. Bit of a lottery really. Agan, echoing Bertie, personal recommendations essential. Always worth checking in with easiski in Les Deuz Alpes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
welcome to the wonderful world of snowsports. now you're only dilemma will be whetehr or not to quit your job (or school) and become a full fledged ski/board bum. Bertie makes some good points. Chamonix is not necessarily the place for beginners. Le Tour is super casual, but you might feel more comfortable in a place with more ski-in/ski-out amenities. Chamonix is a kick-ass place with a lively atmosphere, but not really suited for beginners unless you go to Les Houches which is much farther from Cham town center than you'd want to be (and isn't on this year's pass as far as I know). As a solo traveller, the UCPA in France is where its at. These guys from the UK hook up ungodly cheap all-in deals to france, http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk The UCPA deals are fantastic. U get food, accomodation, lift pass, equipment hire and the best part of all, top-notch instruction with highly qualified french instructors (widely accepted as the highest standard in instruction certification). The atmosphere is perfect for solo travellers as the crowd is young and fun...meeting people to ride and party with would be super easy. If you're not into France (which you should be considereing the amount of snow already in the French Alps), maybe check out Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the Bavarian Alps. Very close to Munich and its beer halls and the terrain in Garmsich is very codusive to skiers, beginner or otherwise. Definitely look up http://skischule-gap.de/ for some great instruction. Plus, I hate to break it to you as a Dubliner who surely knows the greatness of Guinness (as do I), but the Weissbier in Deutschland is the king of all beers! Hope that helps, have a great winter!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guys,

Thanks a million for all your info and links, i have been in contact with some of them already and its all coming together nicely.

Cheers.

Darragh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

His advice on timing is also spot on.

better to go a week earlier - last week in Jan and first week in Feb. The w/c 8 Feb is the first week of the major French February holiday and so accommodation will be much more expensive and the slopes busier.

Morzine's a good place, lively and near plenty of skiing which will suit you. And some excellent tuition available. But there are lots of other places - including LDA.

Have fun. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy