Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What will you do?

Poster: A snowHead
Petrol Diesel increasing in price rapidly
Gas going up 35% in some cases
Electric going up 9%
Food inflation hitting 21%
Pay rises 3%

So, will you

A) Trade down to self catering?
B) Hotel/Catered as usual but picnic lunch?
C) Forget this year's winter hols?
D) Drive rather than fly?
E) Self cater but eat out each night
F) Self cater picnic lunch and cook dinner each night drink duty free and supermarket beer?

G) Ski Bulgaria or Andorra?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-07-08 21:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
H) Bury my head in the sand and carry on as usual. Picnic lunch? Moi? Shocked Shocked Shocked

[Edited to reflect boredsurfin's edit]

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 31-07-08 21:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle,
Quote:
A modern weird word, a 'Doryphore' is a pedantic critic, but also a figurative colorado beetle.

Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MY French apartment doesn't cost me anything to heat,as it uses the hot spring water, so I should save some money by turning off the heating at home, and going away for two weeks. Diesel is cheaper in France, so it makes sense to drive all the miles there instead. We will be driving instead of flying, but we will go for two weeks at a time, and take the dog to save the kennel fees. 50€ for the vet is far cheaper, and the crossing with Eurotunnel was paid in full with Tesco vouchers. We will not eat a picnic lunch, but may finish skiing early on a couple of days, so dog is not left alone too long. We will then have a late lunch in the apartment, otherwise it will still be lunch on the mountain. I like cooking in the evenings, but we will eat out on a few occasions too. After all it is a holiday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, I happened to spot it in The Times the other day, so thought I'd give myself a little change, which you seem to be the first to have noticed. All this is rather interesting. Fancy just taking it into one's head to coin a word like that, as Nicolson did, and rather wonderful for it then to be taken up by others (if not exactly commonly).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

Diesel is cheaper in France

Only by a few pennies now (last week) Shocked The French are really hurting on this one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle,
Quote:
“questing prig, who derives intense satisfaction from pointing out the errors of others.”
Certainly not applicable to you, but I can think of a couple of others.......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, oh I don't know, probably a fair description of me on a bad day. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a) Never

b) Never

c) Never

d) Do that anyway

e) Never

f) Never

g) Never, never, never

Not going to save much money are we?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
homphomp, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homphomp, Not just me then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, What are credit cards for after all?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Z) Ski Bulgaria or Andorra

Think it's a last resort for everyone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:

Petrol gone down 8p in the last week alone at my local Morrisons.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, congratulations on your Courchevel post.

We have 1 trip booked and shall wait a few months before making any decisions.
ski holidays
H

(and technically D too, but in my case, that comes to about same price as flights+transfers anyway)

edit: H as per Hurtle's post that is (with the crisp profile, due to bust forum, it looked like OP)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-07-08 23:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, We've been to Courchevel once (well La Tania)! I don't go on holiday to cook for myself.....well not if I can help it! as I'm not a very good cook!

Currently we have 0 trips booked for next season, depressing init?
snow report
work harder and earn more, theres no other way.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
We are just trying to be more efficient to save costs. Two trips planned, but trying to ensure most cost effective numbers, ie: 4 in car rather than 2 on one trip, 7 in 2 cars and one big apartment for the second - it is cheaper per person. For New Year which is generally expensive we have already booked cheap hostel type accomodation, for the second more luxurious trip (MrsS is going) we are going last week in January which misses peak season.
snow conditions
I) Book whatever skiing we want and then figure out what money we've got left to live on between now and then (a trick learned from my Dad from his younger days when he told my horrified Mum we were going on holiday anyway, we just had to live on £2.23 for 3 weeks - evidently I lived to tell the tale!).
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Z) Ski Bulgaria or Andorra

Think it's a last resort for everyone.

whats wrong with Andorra Crying or Very sad ( i love the place)
snow conditions
i'm using the book now worry about how to pay it later philosophy . . . plus the 2nd of the step kids has just come of age and is working . . . no more maintenance payments! That'll help!
snow conditions
jase2472-soon, my son, you shall see the light. I have never been more unimpressed with a ski hill.
snow report
I'm thinking of going to Slovenia Puzzled
latest report
sorry should have specified (Soldeu/El Tarter/Pas)
snow conditions
boredsurfin, It would be interesting to see that as a poll with some 'refined' options. Elsewhere in the forum some folks have alluded to 'cutting back' or 'waiting to see'.

I'm in the 'Cant wait and get more of it' .... cant see it effecting the Europeans much .. they havent lost out to the ER in addition to other things.
ski holidays
Only thing that is really affecting our trips is the fact that we won't have a teen at home to dog-sit, so long weekends and such are out. We've got two trips booked, both two weeks long, and both by car so we will take her with us.
ski holidays
Agenterre, Yes it would. My real reason for asking came from chatting to the owner of a bar restaurant in Montalbert a couple of weeks ago. He was wondering how fuel food etc costs would affect the next ski season. If people trade down to self catering Montalbert should benefit if people only take a weekend to ski then it's bad news all round.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm...better job, higher salary, paid in Euro, Diesel free for nearly half the trip - good.

New job hence probably more pressure and less time to ski - bad.

If I manage 3 weeks and 3 weekends like last year, I'll be happy!
snow conditions
You will not be able to eat out at resort restaurants as they will all go bust with no customers Crying or Very sad

Also Lift passes have gone up for this coming season.

Example St Anton

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/userfiles/PDFs/ArlbergerBergbahn_Winter0809_E.pdf
ski holidays
My view is that this year may be hard but the one to worry about is the one after this coming one! I know that's way ahead, but down here (South West) business are saying it's slow now in the summer, but the real squeeze will come next summer. That may well be the same with skiing - it's almost one last hurrah. One person likened it to pre 1939, when everyone knew something bad was about to happen but they went on and had one hell of a a bash - after which . . .
Anyway, we'll no doubt spend a little less if we can, but more likely spend less in the weeks before and after to make up for a shortfall.
ski holidays
If I get the pass out then I'll probably opt for hotel or catered chalet as usual.
snow conditions
Get your priorities right. Make other sacrifices. What are you going to do with your money when your knees give out ot global warming ends skiing ? I'm not willing to downgrade ski holiday quality so A..C & E..G = No, D: would go by road or rail as air travel can be a pain. Costs are looking very much higher. I have always threstened not to take the kids again as they fight continually or want to stay in bed after paying for lift & kit - will save me a fortune as they always want new gear as well....umm could treat myself to a luxury week (Lorunser or Trofana Royal have always been a dream). Thinking about taking spme two week instead of one week trips. Some packages are only slightly more expensive for an extra week. Won't get to as many resorts but will gain on ski time. Might be missed if I sneak out for more than a week. It might be more difficult to persuade my tighter buddies to come out to play.
snow report
J) A season NehNeh
ski holidays
Swirly, that option has a lot going for it, it has to be said...
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:
Thinking about taking spme two week instead of one week trips. Some packages are only slightly more expensive for an extra week.

Going for 2,3,4 weeks is much cheaper than separate 1 week trips. I know many people in St Anton who spend 5-6 weeks each season.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Gas going up 35% in some cases
Electric going up 9%
Food inflation hitting 21%
Pay rises 3%

So, will you

A) Trade down to self catering?
B) Hotel/Catered as usual but picnic lunch?
C) Forget this year's winter hols?
D) Drive rather than fly?
E) Self cater but eat out each night
F) Self cater picnic lunch and cook dinner each night drink duty free and supermarket beer?

G) Ski Bulgaria or Andorra?

Z) Put off buying new ski's boots and kit until next season Toofy Grin
snow report
arv, Fuel in Andorra is much cheaper so I drive for 190km and fill up (90 ltr) which usually lasts me until the next visit, someone must have hidden all the good hills from you, or didn't you find the way off the nursery slopes? Toofy Grin
latest report
Well I have just (this morning) saved £285 a year by going on-line and finding a cheaper deal for electricity.
At work we have dealt with 2 insurance brokers for 20 years. There is an newish kid on the block in our industry that I have heard good stuff about and as a result of talking to them We have HALVED our £35000 bill Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
AT both work and home we have a new policy of saving every penny wherever and whenever we can. The results have been very encouraging. Guess we may get that 2nd family ski holiday after all snowHead
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, nice one!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy