Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An American skis Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's always fun to read about Scottish skiing from an outsider's point of view (I'd always fraudulently claim to be an insider, having spent a season on Cairngorm) and this article by Paul Hochman in Ski Magazine (US) doesn't disappoint. In fact, it's got some very funny sequences and plenty of 'spot the error' potential (Inverness is north-west of Glasgow, we're informed!)

The writer has a helpful love of Scotch whisky and has a knack for sussing out the eccentricities of a day on the Scottish hills - in this case, Aonach Mor (Nevis Range). How about this:
Quote:
The Gaelic word dreich, pronounced as a rude blend of "drab" and "ecch!" is exactly what it's like outside when, after two hours of driving, I finally arrive at a tiny, rambling inn called Old Pines, which faces Ben Nevis and its ski area, Aonach Mor. I've barely stepped out of my Vauxhall and into the drizzle when the Inn's owner, Bill Barber, shambles out to greet me, wearing khakis and a green polo shirt.

"Brilliant!" he says, issuing the first of many exclamations he'd make over the weekend. "You found us! Care for a bit of flatbread and a tea?"

What I'd really like is a stiff drink.

Don't miss the set of photos linked to the article - there are some good ones.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good article, very well written.
The Old Pines has wonderful food but they were thinking of closing when I was there last and may not even exist this season, at least under those owners. Great shame if so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I stayed at The Old Pines only 4 weeks ago. Great location and good food. Has changed hands earlier this year (and I can't make comparison with previous management), but I can confirm that it is very much in business, and that it is continuing the tradition of haute cuisine that got it its reputation in the first place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know about The Old Pines, but Aonach Mor has some great ski-ing ( except when it's raining which is most of the time over there). I once met an American ski-ing on Cairngorm who could not believe that we had large boulders in the middle of the pistes. she thought the facilities were fine though, ditto the snow conditions - she just couldn't believe that we left natural hazzards where they were!

Excellent article, and may it bring many Yanks to fill the Scottish coffers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

and may it bring many Yanks to fill the Scottish coffers

The trouble is - they've got to find the country first - geography does not seem to be a strong point! Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
The Gaelic word dreich

I would think "dreich" is Scots (from the same Germanic roots as English, as used by Burns) rather than Gaelic. Perhaps it has been imported into Gaelic. Any Scots care to comment?
snow report
 brian
brian
laundryman, dreich is 100% Scots afaik.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, thanks. I thought 'afaik' must be too for a second!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great article. My other half works at Glasgow airport and there she brings back occasional reports of tourists (often Americans, but not exclusively) asking questions such as what is "cadildy" (she thinks they were after a ceilidh). Being an Englishman myself, I can't claim any better knowledge than the next person, but it's good to read about tourists coming over and immersing in the culture.

If you want to know what dreich means, you could have looked out of our living room window yesterday (looks out to the Holy Loch and Clyde Estuary). When the weather's good, it's a view to die for, but when it's not - well, it's dreich!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masopa, it was only in my early 20's that I realised that the written word 'ceilidh' was the spoken word "kaylee", which I'd heard so often Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Bath for 3 months (Sept - Dec) and our weather was also dreich - the whole time! Crying or Very sad

We may be short of snow here in LDA (and all over the alps), but at least the sun's shining and we can see that the sky is actually BLUE! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, must be a West Coast thing! I've spent most of my life in the East Midlands / Fens so am used to cold, somewhat windy (Lincolnshire's flat!) weather, but relatively little rain & fog. Needless to say, it was a shock moving up here!!! Have some cracking pictures though...

Masopa's (non-dreich) views
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masopa, It's definitely a West coast thing. I actually come from Surrey where the weather is quite good. The wettest I've ever been has always been at Aonach Mor! Through 7 layers once!!!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masopa,
Lovely pics. ? views from Gourock.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Indeed. Took a good panorama set yesterday morning. Will have to upload them - snow on the hills opposite!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy