Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarding/Surfing crossover?

Poster: A snowHead
I gather from some of the comments in previous threads that some snowHead surf too!

I'm OK on the white waves but just started on the wet ones last year. Can stand up and head for the shore reasonably reliably. Question is: Is technique for turning etc similar to boarding? What should I be aiming to do on my 2nd week?
Any advice welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no. snowboarding for a week ruins my surfing for a session or two.

surfing (on a shortboard) is all about the back foot. the number of times i've seen a 'wave shape' in the terrain on a snowboard and thought 'tail slide' really laid into the back foot and land spinning on my back 40m down the slope..... Laughing then when i surf after snowboarding to much weight on the front foot and i bog in every top turn. not much fun in hte size of surf we have here in west ireland (clare) in winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find there's some crossover, as a surfer that learnt to board I found my surfing improved after learning to board and that going surfing helped my boarding. It's much more like boarding in powder though: weight back and steer the tail.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah surfing is only like boarding in powder, piste boarding the weight is too far forwards. Don't listen to me though, I don't surf well anymore Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so, where we all going to be for the first hurricane swell of the year?

i'm going to a quiet spot on an island near me for tuesday and maybe crab island (co. clare) on weds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i can board, i cannot surf not for the want of trying, but hey its fun and i enjoy it wink

err no as they said its nothing like the same
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg, Just been looking at U Tube surfing in Co. Clare Lahinch and Doonbeg. l'm in Glencar near Kilmihil on Sep.8-13. Surfing looks exciting, though l'm not too good in water, remember Gremlins ? Any SUPS out there ? l'd like to try that. Stand up paddle surfing, think that'd be a real nice easy intro. to the BIG surf.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think one of the lahinch lads has a SUP board (thinking about it he's one of the head instructors at one of the local schools - maybe he'll do you some tuition?) but don't know any others. i'd recommend some lessons if you're learning, they'll sort out wetsuits, boards and the like for you. september can be really quite large over here - Aileens is only a stones throw from us (http://www.orcasurf.co.uk/carveh30/carveh30-photos.html#top).

if you want to pm me for any info before you come over feel free.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rogg, Cheers l just might Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
critch, welcome to snowHead snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers swirly,

but i have been on here a while now, was known as cookie monster,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey clare, bumped into my mate who would be happy to give you a few SUP lessons if you like. just let me know before you come over.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg, Only a short while l was thinking of you and Co. Clare. Just got in after watching the kite surfers at Clacton-on-sea. So much has happened recently, l've bought a wetsuit and buoyancy aid, tried sit-on-top kayaking on a reservoir and local river, swam in local open air pool, now we've got to take the kayak to the beach. l used to sulk in the Summer, just longing for winter. Something a ski instructor said to me in march, "Do you Sail ?" knowing l lived by the coast, when l replied "NO" he must have thought "nuts, what a lost opportunity" as l would have lf l'd asked someone from the Alps,"Do you ski/climb etc." and the answer was neg. l was born here and have never considered the sea for recreation, while surfing/kayaking, not sailing is my "new fave. thing" l owe that ski instructor for giving me a reason to Smile in the Summer. l will pm you soon and big thanks for getting in touch. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg, l've been in touch with you mate, thanks, and l'm having a SUP lesson or 2, 12th/13th Sep. brill, so looking forward to it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cool, i'm sure you'll have a gass time (as they say over here). Cool

if you get a taste, here's an article on the cliffs last monday.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/off-season-swell-lights-up-the-emerald-isles-heaviest-big-wave-break-ireland-goes-xxl_17963/photos/1

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 27-08-08 10:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rogg, Breathtaking, b/w no. 4's my fave, but all absolutely beautiful pics. thanks for that Very Happy
ski holidays
Sorry to butt in guys, but i have both surfed and boarded but struggled for a while when snowboarding season had finished.
With me it was more of a confidence thing than technique because after a season boarding nice and easy, the waves looked positively scary.
I remedied this by buying a longboard(skateboard)as i found it was a mixture of carving on a snowboard and i had to balance without bindings at speed as on my surf board.
Hope this might help a little. Very Happy P.S Surf pretty good right now around the Scarborough area Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rogg, Just back from your green and pleasant land. Great time was had but sadly no paddle board lesson. The day that Aaron was free, it was the wrong type of surf ( for a beginner, so he said ) and the next day free, the night before, some bas---ds broke into his place and either stole or trashed what they couldn't take. l really felt for the guys, someday Lahinch, l will return
snow conditions
I forgot about this thread and thought it was something to do with boredsurfin / Boardsurfing!
ski holidays
clare mcbride, sorry it didn't work out - conditions for SUP are small with no wind - we don't seem to have had much of that lately. glad you had a good time. there was some heaving large surf around on sunday. tired arms today snowHead

not me, was out on the town on saturday night celebrating my 40th and steve (the guy driving the ski) offered to tow me into a few "birthday waves". i declined for expected hangover incapacity reasons, and was glad i did when i saw the size:
ski holidays
rogg, Happy belated Birthday Greeting's ! Smile The surf off the southwest coast of lreland recently has been awesome, who needs to go abroad when you have waves like this
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy