Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catered Chalets last minute

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about not booking our ski week in advance this year.

There will be about 10 of us and although we would like to stay together, if we end up in two hotels or chalets in the same resort that would be OK.

We are not too fussy on the resort, so this would give us the flexibility to book late for somewhere with good snow and hopefully get a real bargain. Planning to go early march.

Anyone got any comments on this idea or any examples of deals they have got by holding off booking until late in the day.

Thanks

Simon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No personal experience but i am often amazed at how cheap some of the last minute deals are on the weekly email that the SCGB sends around in the season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've found Skiworld's site pretty good as you can see how many rooms are available when you go into the online booking-sometimes some of the chalet/club hotels have as many as 20-25 rooms available only just a few weeks before..

If going in March then i guess if you get a price of anything between 270-350 pounds each would be a good price but thats based on getting a fairly late deal with the likes of Skiworld,First Choice and Crystal nothing fancy but not bad either.

I've got better deals sometimes 6-8 weeks before than waiting till the very last minute-sometimes some of the tour ops offer 2 for 1 deals months in advance so they be worth looking out for too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you book early now as a group you can tend to find prices of 180-240 pounds for a week and that's including ski pass. PM me to find out the site Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah, Does that include meals,wine with the meal plus flights and transfers as that sounds VERY cheap anyway especially if it includes ski pass too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
simski81, if you are thinking of france be aware that the first week in March is one of the busiest - the second week should be ideal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Atomic_Mick, no no, only accomodation and ski pass. Meal deal I think is like 50 pounds on top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
simski81, I've done a few last-minute catered chalet deals; £169 Selva 3* 3rd week Mar 1999; £169 Montgenevre 2* 4th week Mar 2001; £269 Selva 3* 2nd week Mar 2002; £119 Belle-Plagne 4* 2nd week Jan 2003; £199 Val Thorens 4* 2nd week Jan 2005, all found on teletext, just to give you an idea.

You are going to struggle:
1st week in March isn't really off-season, you need to be looking early Jan (after New Year), mid-Mar onwards (but not Easter weeks) for the real bargains
It's gonna be difficult to get 10 places in one spot, I couldn't even get 4 in VT! All the above were for 2 and 3 sharing. You may have more luck with a Club Hotel that some tour ops run.
If there's a lack of snow anywhere, that will be cheap; anywhere with good snow will be priced accordingly.
Best bargains evaporate almost instantly, so you won't have time to consult everyone before booking.

I'm not saying it will be impossible, but you'll need to be flexible about resorts and dates (difficult with 10 people that need to book time off) and may have to pay a bit more than you hoped. It might be worth going DIY and renting a self catering chalet between 10 of you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the past I've often had good last minute deals, but for most of those I've been on my own or just 2 or 3 others.

For 10 people you'll probably need to split into smaller groups, which means that more than one of you needs to be prepared to do some of the organising.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wait for a late deal is great if you are 2 or maybe 4 and you are not too fussed on resort (ie you have a few in mind) but 10 - you're brave and may miss out. Getting 10 into one unit is unlikely and what you save on the late deal may be eaten into by the lack of group discount. Prices will rise also before then so book now, get the resort you want, get the property you want, get the location you want and it's in the bag with people committed. Come March you may find people haven't allocated funds and it's like the hokey cokey - they're in one minute and out the next - with you rippping your hair out at your indecisive friends oh and then you suddenly have an empty bed to pay for as all the rooms are twins and you have 9 but then again you may get lucky - best of luck...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with previous posts. I always try for late deals but the big discounts are available only early or late season. Even with only two of us early March has always been difficult and we have to hope for cancellations and then be prepared to pay the brochure price. It is very nerve wracking as the chosen date approaches and nothing is yet booked. I wouldn't attempt it for 10. Book early and go for the best incentives for early booking and group discounts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
simski81, so I guess you gotta ask yourself punk, are ya feelin' lucky? (in Dirty Harry-Clint Eastwood stylee)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early booking incentives are often cheaper than late deals Smile

For the past three seasons we have booked well in advance and have paid less than some who stayed in the same accom. and booked only a couple of weeks before, for the total holiday cost Smile You also get to pick where you want to stay and which room too - chalet accom. Smile

Saying that, our first chalet accom. was via a late booking within two weeks to go, and all we knew was which airport we were flying to Shocked We did however pay less for two weeks than the other guests paid for their week Very Happy It was the last room in the chalet both times.

I think you have to take account the size of your party and be realistic, that you probably wont all be staying in the same accom. if you leave it - unless theres something seriously wrong with it. In which case would you want it. Confused

So in answer to luigi, do ya ?? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy