Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to buy boots in the world?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you were going to buy some new ski boots and could go anywhere to get them, where would you go? What's the best shop? Who's the top boot fitter? What else would you do to maximise your chances of getting a well-fitting boot?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of seasons ago my sister got her boots from "George McConkey at McCoos in Whistler.

He looked at her feet, and discussed her skiing style and ability. Then told her to go and buy a pair of X, size Y and bring them back to him.

He then set about the boot like an animal, cutting and shaping and re-forming the boot around her foot. He removed the "pivot" bolt on one side and drilled new holes to get the flex angle *just* right.

With the addition of some sexah heat moulded inner the boots are "the most comfortable shoes I own".

Cost you though...

I think she is planning a trip back to Whistler next year... simply for new boots!

I have gone for profeet, in london, so far so good. But I have not had the chance to ski them yet... roll on new year!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 18-12-04 17:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Either of the Boot Doctor locations in the US (Taos, NM and Telluride, CO) and work with Bob Gleason. He's one of the best there is.

Also, Green Mountain Orthotic Lab on the East Coast or BOOTech in Aspen, too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Europe Strolz, no doubt.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks ssh and fragglerock - tracked down the Bootdoctor site for anyone who's interested...

Spaniard - Strolz, handmade, interesting, how much does that cost? Are they as good as they claim they are?

Anyone else?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A friend and I both had Strolz (fitted by an experienced bootfitter) and both of us were very unhappy with the boots, the fit was painful and their buckles were useless, not too mention "walking mode". I guess you either love them or hate them. we both bought new boots two seasons ago.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DavidS,

Anybody who comes near Verbier goes to Surefoot, which has an awesome reputation - at a price - and he will keep remoulding/heating/trimming/whatever until they are just right regardless of how many days that takes, while you ski on them to get them just right.

In London Profeet on the New King's Road is the pre-ski alternative (Jonathan Hedges is the boss, ex-buyer for Snow and Rock and a vast amount of experience).

Otherwise you may be one the lucky very few who can buy off the shelf and ski straight away... then it doesn't matter where you go!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Powderhound. I’ve head good things about Surefoot too.

What about Precision Ski? Their site (http://www.precision-ski.com/bootfitting/intro.asp) talks the talk. Anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the service they offer?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David,

I bought a pair from Precision Ski at the beginning of last season. They talk the talk and walk the walk - fantastic service!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My dear fellow
I f you can absorb the intolerably cruel and painful Austrian fitting method, a left over from the middle ages when some dim chap really believed the no pain no gain credo, then go for Strolz.
I wear mine all day and can walk several miles off the piste like wearing one of those damn nike numbers.
If you add a pair of "cat-tracks" its a bit like a stroll in the park.
They are absolutely "awesome".
However you must have a good fitter given they are foamed and once they are done thats it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Red Dave and Lord Walter - that's what I love about snowheads: where the nobs rub shoulders with the proletariat... Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slight thread hijack, but has anybody spotted a stockist for Dalbello Kryptons in England ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy