Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer ski resorts (european glaciers)

Poster: A snowHead
Which is the best?

Zermatt - claims to be good with all year round skiing but only have one/two runs open at a time Confused
Saas Fee - too small
Both of these don't really look that good.

Tignes - looks really good
L2A - looks really good, like tigne.

Kaprun - looks really good, does anyone know how much is open? on the website it claims theres 50 cm at 2,000 metres and 1,50 cm at the alpin center (2500) - if thats the case then there should be lots of runs, but the question is are they all open or do they limit it like Zermatt.
Molltal - looks good like kaprun, advantage is that theres more chairs rather then t-bar, once again does anyone know how much of this you can actually ski in summer?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From our experience, summer opening at Kaprun is usually pretty extensive above the alpin centre. Not to say it's always all open, but they don't only open a bit at a time like you said Zermatt do. That is only based on our two or three trips though so don't know if it's the norm, but we also have lots of happy summer guests who have skied too. It only seems to close from the beginning of June until about the third weekend in June, and then stays open right through. Have never skied it on a hot August day though, so not sure what it's like. We have mainly been there in early or late summer (June or September/October), not at the height of the heat, so to speak.

Molltal I have never skied, when I lived in Klagenfurt, it was often reported closed, but that was years ago, so it may be run completely differently now.

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jj193, when are you going?

You have missed Hintertux from your list which is possibly one of the better ski areas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jj193, Tignes and 'tux probably the best.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jj193, Another vote for Hintertux, they usuallly have about 18km of runs and great facilities you can normally ski down to mid station where there is a great resteraunt there and loads of facilities.

The hire shop there is also really good added benefit of having mayrhofen so close and cheap if you go last minute with Crystal this summer. Loads to do and plenty to see.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had looked at Hintertux and didn't consider at as good as the others because its mainly t-bars. Although the idea of going to mayrhoffen for under 200 quid is appealing, how long is the ski bus between them and how often is it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jj193, I've been to Tignes and L2A and they are T bars on the glacier as well. It is because the lift support system is on moving ice, so has to be surface mounted (and presumably requires to be regularly repositioned Confused )

Hintertux is a bigger area than Tignes and offers a better variety of slope than L2A. If you went now, you'd find a lot open, if you went in August, there would only be 3 or 4 runs available.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jj193, Sass Fee and Zermatt are the same shifting Ice limits the type of lifts they have. Its approx 30 - 40 min bus from Mayrhofen to the Glacier it is FREE and runs every 10- 20 min I think
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
21km open at hintertux atm Shock Wow... stubai (not mentioned) only has a measly 3km of runs open, which is disappointing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hintertux is probably the last proper Summer ski area left in Western Europe now.

All the others are melting away.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jj193, Why don't you have a look at the LDA snow reports? I do one almost every day. This year the lift company say that they'll put a second piste down the Dome while the French team are here training. It's always been a pain that one of our 2 red runs (steeper than the 'black' at Tignes) is closed for them! Evil or Very Mad NO MORE - Yippee. Very Happy If you're thinking August, obviously conditions won't be so good anywhere though, but we still normally have more than 50 hectares open, we have 120 hectares when it's all open. At the moment, as you can ski down to the mid station at 2,600 easily there must be much more.

Ordhan, All glaciers are shifting ice. Shocked

Ray Zorro, Yes - I posted pix of the work either last summer or the summer before - I forget.

Timmaah, We don't do Km open, so nothing to compare.

Whitegold, I'm sure Hintertux is melting too - but who is still the biggest skiable area in Europe?????
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Hintertux, Zermatt, Les 2 Alpes and Tignes are the big 4 Summer ski areas.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am I right in thinking Zermatt ony has one piste open right now!? Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have considered Hintertux but LDA is quite a lively place in the summer with lots going on. And the bus ride puts me off H but thinking about it we do spend 25 mins in the LDA cable cars. Roll on 12th July...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
micky, There are several villages much closer to the Hintertux lift station than Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
But they surely won't be as lively as LDA rjs,
snow conditions
I'm going to Kaprun the first half of October. At this moment there is still 50 cm as low as 1950 meters.... wow!
What can I expect in autumn?

Going there to try and get my Anwarter ski instructors diploma...
ski holidays
jj193,
Just got back from Mayrhofen went up the Tux on tuesday, bus is about 40 Mins from Mayrhofen station. Its been pretty hot there this week about 30 c in the valley and 7c on the glacier in the morning so it was pretty soft to say the least, so we were put off skiing but went up for a look anyway mid morning .Wish now I had taken my gear up and gone early (first bus 6.00 am) but we had been put off by some of the locals saying it would be rubbish and also a bad weather forcast(rain) Mad but it was perfectly skiable and a clear bright day. As I mentioned before the first bus is at 6.00am then 8.00 then every hour apart from the middle of the day when there is a 2 hour gap between 12.00 and 2.00 bus is only free in winter with a ski pass. In summer you pay or buy a super Z card which lets you use all the gondolas in the Zillertal including the first stage of the one to the Tux glacier, all public transport, use of swimming pools in the Zillertal and a discount with loads of buisnesses including mountain sports ones for going rafting canyoning etc 42E for 6 days.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 26-06-08 13:44; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Rookiemark, What a shame. Summer skiing inevitably includes some wet snow - can't be helped, but it's a shame the locals put you off.

Ronald, In October you could get anything at all from light powder to sheet ice! Good for you. Are you going out in summer for any training courses?
snow report
Nowadays I ignore locals who tell me "it's rubbish, don't bother" - becoz they are around all season they can pick & choose the conditions and be very selective. As a holiday skier I will slide on virtually anything and enjoy myself - beats sitting in the office.
snow report
I agree completely with the ice perv - a bad day on the hill is better than a good day in the office!!

One of theCanadian heliski operators has a philosophical statement on its website to try & soften the blow when (due to weather) your heli can't fly & you are stuck in a remote lodge playing cards.....

It goes something like: And it's on days like these when we realise how fotunate we are just to be in the mountains..." Like ice perv I am generally easily pleased given a mountain, snow cover and time off work. However, much as I love the mountains, and even applying the rule re. a good day at the office, I have had limited success when applying the heli ski philosophy in the case of ferocious whiteouts, pi$$ing rain and gales that blow you back up the hill....I always try to bear it in mind though!

On the subject of the "ignore the locals rule", nowhere does this apply more hilariously than in the US and Canada. I've spoken to Colorado locals who were packing up early on a fantastic, packed-powder-not-a-slick-bit-in-sight-day because it was "Getting kinda icy....." And seen signs at the top of runs saying "Warning - Marginal snow conditions" on perfectly groomed packed powder runs. I'd love to see the locals who are used to that kind of carry on in some really marginal conditions (like sheet ice!) in the Alps!
ski holidays
the ice perv, It's very nice to hear that! I keep hearing the opposite though - summer snow is rubbish, it's wet, it's icy blah blah. IOW it's not perfect winter powder ... but that's the potential tourists!
ski holidays
easiski, the ice perv, mountainaddict, You are all of couse quite right, and I have now vowed to take no notice whatsoever of the locals and go for it anyway. I was pretty pi**ed off to say the least as it was the last day of our hols and so had no opportunity to go another day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy