Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best airport for Dolomites (Selva)?

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone can help, what is the best airport to fly into for the Dolomites, specifically Selva?

I know Innsbruck is the closest, but am struggling to find a flight on the day i need to travel into Innsbruck. However, i can get flights into Milan Bergamo, Venice Marco Polo and Munich. They all seem about 3 hour drive, but I have heard the drive across the mountains from Venice is a nightmare, as is the traffic around Munich - am travelling Feb half term!!! Is Bergamo the best option?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergamo or Verona? is not too bad. Munich is less than three hours and a relatively easy drive, unless the section between Garmisch and Innsbruck is snowy. Selva very much recommended.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bolzano is actually the closest, but has very few international flights (and I think no scheduled flights from the UK).

After that, my choices would be (in descending order) Innsbruck, Verona, Milan Bergamo, Munich, Venice. Verona is the one most TOs use, although there are a few TO flights to Bolzano, and First Choice use Innsbruck.

If you were happy to go to Cortina or Arabba rather than Selva, then Venice becaomes top choice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wazza, We have used both Bergamo and Venice. Venice is much closer but not as many flights as Bergamo. How many of you will be going? We have hired a self drive mini bus and also hired a taxi mini bus. Just as cheap and convenient to take a taxi. Mountain routes are not so difficult if you are self driving but could have a problem with a pass being closed. Longer but easier access is from Milan Bergamo!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ryanair fly into Venice (Treviso)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Roy Hockley, , there are just 2 of us so we usually hire a car and drive from the airport. As my wife is a teacher, I'm stuck to travelling on 14th Feb. Not only does it limit me on flights, but it costs me top dollar Mad !! Have to go from a Midlands airport.

Have spent hours on tinternet and can only get flights to Bergamo (or malpensa), Venice (Marco polo) or Munich (when they are released!).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ryanair also fly into Milan (Bergamo) from East Midlands.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wazza, EJ fly EMA to Venice MP, but flights are not out yet. I shall tell you when they are out, and I have booked our 40 seats for the following day Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We flew into Bolzano a couple of years ago with Inghams. They'd chartered Tyrol Airlines aircraft. It was a brilliant flight in a practically new plane and the transfer was very short. I would definitely try that airport first.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eyes down for the budget airline flights being released!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just returned from the dolomites. We drove through Selva on the way home. Personally I flew to Bergamo but its much further than Verona which we passed on the motorway. We flew to Bergamo because there are 4 flights a day from Stanstead and it is very cheap with Ryanair. If I was going skiing or went again it'd probably go from Verona. I don't know much about Innsbruck.

From Verona it is motorway all the way. At all the junctions along the motorways take extreme caution when Italian drivers just pull out without any regard for anyone else. Plus when they overtake you they love to cut you up. Never witnessed such bad driving. You've been warned!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try Naples and you realise the North Italians are the good drivers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flew to Verona with Ryanair 2 years ago to Selva. Last year when we went to Corvara tried to book Verona again but always came up on the Ryanair site as unavailable from when they were released in June up until I last looked in February.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We DIY'd it over New Year a couple of years ago to Selva. We flew Squeazyjet into Venice (rather walk than use Ryanair). Hired a car and drove up. Came back with time to spare and took in Venice in Jan. Superb.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As you can see from this map Treviso, and then Venice, are the closest airports to Arabba and the Sella Ronda, and Cortina. Verona is much further.
A taxi hire company estimates 2 1/2 hours from Treviso to Arabba and 2 1/4 to Cortina.

Edit - actually I find the mileages from Innsbruck and Treviso are only a little different - the taxi company quotes €230 from Treviso to Cortina and €280 from Innsbruck. Between a group of 6 like ours this is OK.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 18-06-08 14:51; edited 3 times in total
latest report
to all the skiiers who go to the dolomites which passes are kept open in the winter? That will make a lot of difference to journey times.
ski holidays
Was in Selva for New Year, our party flew into Treviso and Munich, got the train from both places, change at Verona and Bolzano from Venice and bus up to the Gardena valley (Selva). Out return trip was to Venice Marco Polo. There is a direct private bus that also goes to Selva from Bergamo on certain days and from Treviso to Cortina. You can also drive via Verona to Selva to avoid mountain passes.
snow report
Most of the passes within the actual Dolomites are generally kept open all winter: although they can be shut overnight or for a day or so following a big storm. Otherwise stick to the valleys.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy