Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gap Year to Whistler, Canada - Need help and advice.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on doing a Gap Year to Canada this year between school and univeristy. I'm pretty set on it, I just need to ask a few questions.

I plan on getting my Visa through the student GAP Canada program in the next few days. I plan on going to Whistler, the earliest flight out that the GAP canada program offers is the 3rd of October. Will this be a good time to try find a job? I heard the job hunt starts around October, but I was originally planning on going late September. When do most jobs start to get offered for the ski season?

I'm struggling to find much in the way of accomodation that I can book before I arrive. Where can I look? Do I have much chance of getting accomodation if I was to just turn up? I think Bunac may be able to help with arrival accomodation.

How heavy should I travel? I plan on trying to settle down in Canada for atleast a month or more at a time. Can I afford to pack a big suitcase, and my ski equipment?

Is a laptop a good idea to take travelling with me? I plan on buying one so I can keep in touch with friends back home and also to keep myself busy.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to go to a suburb of London or Sydney then its great. Not a life changing exeperience IMO. Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never done a season in Canada myself, but having spoken to many people that have, I'll try and be of some help.

Go as early as you can, most people advise that for finding accommodation and jobs you want to head out to Whistler at least a month before the first snowfall, so based on last year if I remember correctly you should be thinking around the end of august/beginning of september.

I'd travel light, think a backpack and a ski bag, thats what I did this year and it makes traveling very easy. You don't need as much as you think you do, basically some t-shirts for relaxing, some trousers for going out (maybe some jeans or something), lots of socks, lots of boxers, a couple of jumpers and your ski gear (which you can uses to wrap around your skis when traveling). You will always be able to by stuff you've forgotten or left on purpose, i.e bed sheets, or a towel somewhere.

A laptop is a very good idea, for when the weather is rubbish, or you fancy watching a dvd with some mates, having a couple of drinks. I would really recommend it, not sure which one would be best, something with a reasonable screen, and speakers. Come to think of it, Snowfix did a review of some laptops for seasonnaires recently, go to www.snowfix.tv and watch Episode 63 (its 13:20 in if your lazy).

Hope I've been of some help at least
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A laptop is great idea, though first season I went to Kirkwood in CA, I bought a laptop once I got to the States (with the exchange rate basically $2 to the £ and the price of such things there I got more power for half as much money).

I'm not sure though Whistler is such a great idea for a season though. From my time in Kirkwood and knowing people who have worked there and at Heavenly and some at Mammoth, plus a couple of people I know from back home that have done a season in Whistler who really didn't enjoy it, I would caution against doing a season at one of the bigger well known international resorts.

IMHO there genuinely seems to be more fun and a more enjoyable work experience to be had off the beaten path a little bit at one of the smaller or slightly less well known resorts. Also a location with numerous ski areas nearby has advantages too, esp if there is a non-resort town nearby to hit the shops at! Have a look around online for resorts and/or jobs that provide staff accommodation, that way it may well be possible to secure accommodation before you leave.

I'd add a sleeping bag to Buckers list of things to take above (preferably one you can stuff into the smallest space possible - but still reasonably warm) - this provides you with a lot more opportunities of places to crash!

A final thought is that some people love being in the mountain environment with snow around and enjoy the vibe of working in a ski area even by day, others just hate it because they find being on the mountain watching other people ski when they work even more frustrating than been nowhere near the snow or mountains.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
If you want to go to a suburb of London or Sydney then its great. Not a life changing exeperience IMO. Sad Sad Sad

eeeh? What you meaning by that? You mean that the gap year to whistler won't be life changing? Or that going to London or Sydney wouldn't be? I'm confused lol..

thanks for the replies though. that snowfix video was pretty useful. i'll definately be getting myself a laptop I think.

I do both skiing and boarding.. think its an idea to take only one or the other to save room in my ski bag for other things? I can actually manage to fit my skis and my board in my board bag.. along with ski boots, board boots and a helmet. absolutely nothing else fits after that though lol.

Any other resorts in canada you would reccomend? Whistler seems like a good place to meet people my age and find a job. I was originally intendting to go to america, but I couldnt get the visa. nearly all programs state that you have to be 18 by the 1st of june to get the visa regardless of travel date. well its just my luck that I'm june 9th... I phoned numerous visa agencies and work programs and they all had the june 1st deadline.. sucks..

whats the catch with whistler then?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello again... I think I just replied to this same post on Natives... I am not stalking you- honest!

Just thought I would say a little more... If you are keen on the idea of doing a short course, getting your level 1 CASI and then instructing for the season, we run PRE SEASON courses so that you are ready and trained by the time the season really kicks off, enabling you to live, work and play in the snow- literally!

Have a peek at our websites for more info.

We provide the whole shaboodle... flights, transfers, accommodation (for the 3-weeks), evening meals and some top quality tution guaranteeing you to pass your level 1. We even have word from the ski school director at Whistler/Blackcomb ski/snowbaord school that he will offer the successful NONSTOP course candidates an interview...

If this isn't your bag, I will apologise for incessently bugging you and wish you a very happy season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there, I did consider a ski instructor course, but I couldn't really handle the price.

I must say the 3 week course seems relatively well priced, but still too much I think. Would I still need to organise my own Visa through Bunac and pay the £70 work authorisation fee, or is that included?

Also how many days skiing do I get on the mountain? Are all my lift passes paid for during the 3 weeks.

Thanks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for getting back to me; the lift passes are included and are for the whole season, so should you wish to stay on after... you can!

Here is a list of what is included on our courses...

Flights (Air Canada)
Airport Transfers
Daily shuttle to resort
Accommodation
Weekday breakfasts (resort dependent)
Weekday evening meals
Lift pass (full season)
Professional coaching from some of Canada's top instructors
Level 1 CASI/CSIA exam
Avalanche Awareness course
Cat skiing (Fernie only)
Lift queue priority
Ski/board maintenance tuition
Weekly social events

We do not include the authorisation fee for BUNAC I am afraid.

You will get as many days 'on snow' as you want. We will be training you on snow for 4 days a week before your exam so the weekends are free for you to free ride, shadow lessons in the local ski schools or perhaps have a well earned rest.

I hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to get in touch via the website should you want to know more, we would be happt to help!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy