Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resorts close to Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Im looking for a quick break in January. Went to Chamonix, didnt like the fact that its buses everywhere. Any suggestions??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
barthez1980, I'm assuming if you don't like buses you want ski in ski out.

If that's the case look no further than Avoriaz. We did a short break last January and it was great. Plenty high enough to dispel any worries about lack of early season snow.

We did the whole thing ourselves, flights with easyjet, transfers with ATS and appartment with P&V.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Gets, lower than Avoriaz but plugs into the same ski area with good local skiing and a lot of character. Should be about 75 mins from the airport. Stay in the centre of the village and you won't need to get transport anywhere during your stay. Lots of transfer companies going backwards and forwards to GVA and the altibus is good too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many Swiss ski areas are served by the excellent Swiss Railways.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barthez1980, similarly Flaine, higher than Avoriaz or Les Gets, about an hour from GVA. You could also look at La Clusaz, which is around the same transfer. From GVA airport, you can get excellent train links to Verbier, Gstaad, Villars and a range of other resorts in Western Switzerland. You should also be able to get a bus through to Courmayeur on the Italian side of Mont Blanc, though this might involve changing buses in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vetski, huh ? From memory Flaine is about 1650, Avoriaz is 1800.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bladeskier, I was referring to peak of skiable area rather than village, but should have made that clear. I think Flaine goes up to about 2800-2900m, which I believe is higher than Avoriaz? Les Gets peaks around 2200m. I stand corrected if I've got them the wrong way round!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vetski, 2466 is the top of Avoriaz.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barthez1980, How close do you want to be and what do you like? Most areas have fewer buses than Chamonix (which you can avoid by hiring a car). My usual response is wait and see where the snow is as no/poor snow is a lot worse than the odd bus journey. that point aside if you don't like buses I think snowbunnys suggestion is a good one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
barthez1980, hire a car. I live (partially) in Cham and have never been on a bus.

What sort of skiing do you want? Chamonix has possibly the best lift-served off piste in Europe. I'd swap bus access for that anyday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ideally didnt want to have to be sat in a car for half of a day, or a bus. Which I found with Chamonix. And the buses were'nt all that frequent whilst we were there. I think Avoriaz is looking like the most likely. But I will wait until nearer the time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Barthez. Depends on the type of skiing and whether you have kids in tow and the time of year. Maybe Les Gets, Morzine, Les Houches, Chamonix, Megeve, Les Caorroz, Flaine - all in France or if Switzerland then maybe Crans Montana, Champery.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 23-05-08 15:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
barthez1980, where were you staying in Cham? Or is half a day a teeny weeny exaggeration?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best part of half a day to get up to Le Tour and then queue once, for ages, to buy a lift pass, then again, for ages, to get on the lift. Mid January, very poor snow cover. Not half a day, maybe, but it certainly took us two hours to get up the mountain! We were probably unlucky. But I wouldn't like to try it in a busy period!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
barthez1980, if by "quick break" you mean less than a week, you'll be somewhat limited by where you can get odd-period accommodation. Probably best, in that case, to book much nearer the time.
snow report
pam w, ? seriously bad traffic? Why didn't you buy pass online? (or did you have a voucher) Why didn't you just leave the road at les Houches and ski there? The worst this season we've had has been 10 minutes as far as le Tour or les Houches. Vallorcine admittedly a little further and I will admit to turning back around 12.00 at the GMs cos it was just rather busy.
ski holidays
No, the traffic was not too bad, though it's a bit of a trek. But the snow at Les Houches was horrible (we'd tried that). Hence the trip to Le Tour. We were deciding on a venue day by day because snow was so bad, and weather patchy. Another day we went to Flaine - that was very slushy at the bottom, too (mid January). We had our own transport. I don't know whether passes could be bought on line in those days - it was several years ago, and certainly the chalet we were in, in Les Houches, had no internet. We didn't know the resort well - but we thought my brother in law could not have coped with Brevent/Flegere, hence Le Tour, on the advice of our chalet host. I went to Brevent/Flegere with a friend two years ago and there were no big lift hold ups, though the pistes were very crowded by my standards. Access was fine, but she had her own car, she knows the resort very well (has an apartment there) and she knew what time to hit the lift. And where to park. I do think Chamonix can be a hassle and confusing for people who don't know it well.
ski holidays
Vebier...
snow report
pam w, it sounds as though you were unlucky. It also sounds as though it was one of those years when the snow arrived late for everyone - putting strain on uplift capacity for those areas that had decent snow. In contrast, we found almost no queues throughout the vacances scolaires this year just because so much capacity was available.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, yes, we probably were unlucky, though there weren't any big queues the day we went over to Flaine.
snow report
Crans Montana for something a bit less Anglophiled! 150 kms piste, 1500m resort level up to 3000m with a glacier - quite a sunny resort for January. Not too expensive. snowHead
snow report
vetski wrote:
bladeskier, I was referring to peak of skiable area rather than village, but should have made that clear. I think Flaine goes up to about 2800-2900m, which I believe is higher than Avoriaz? Les Gets peaks around 2200m. I stand corrected if I've got them the wrong way round!

Top of Flaine bowl is 2500m , very similar to the highest spots in PDS/ Avoriaz? I think Flaine's strength is that its a north facing bowl with a reasonable gradient throughout. I've been late season a few times and its been great above the midstation every time. Watch out for off piste double decker eating holes though!
snow conditions
Verbier.
ski holidays
are there any websites that anybody would recommend for short stay holidays.im thinking fri-mon....
Puzzled
latest report
barthez1980, there are companies who offer Long weekend packages, but they're eye-wateringly expensive. DIY is cheaper - did you decide on a resort?
ski holidays
barthez1980, unless you are very short of leave time from work, a week's skiing will cost you no more - possibly less - than a long weekend and will give you a far greater choice of resorts. If you want to do a long weekend on the cheap, think of hiring a car, staying in a valley town, such as Sallanches (40 mins from Geneva on the motorway) and then driving to places like Flaine, Les Houches, Megeve, Combloux - all very pleasant. That gives you flexibility if the snow is less than good. You will not find it easy to book long weekend accommodation in resort, in advance - and especially not if you are looking for low cost.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy