Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to Japan last April and loved it, even though I saw very little because I was on business. Now, my other half has said before we're sprogged up (which we're trying for now) we should have a holiday of a lfetime... which is where Japan comes in.

I know it's gonna cost a fortune and am under no illusions I'll get any change from £3,000 just for the arrangements but which tour operators should I be looking at?

I know Inghams has a good list of holidays in Japan (cheapest I've found for the start of Feb with them was £1,600pp for a 10-day trip) but are there any others people can recommend?

We want to do some boarding but we want to combine it with a 50/50 mix of snow and sightseeing. We'd both like to see Tokyo but we also both like to see the more 'traditional' side of things in somewhere like Kyoto. I know I've seen boarding TOs that do split trips but can't remember who.

Any help with regard to TOs, advice on where to stay (and snowboard) and general know-how would be most appreciated.

Cheeers

Spesh Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman, Trail Finders. They will make you a package at a reasonable price flying with an airline you want...

My maw was in Japan with them in April and they made the best price out of anyone (inc. British Airways Business).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, good for you and what a wonderful idea!

One company that I'd seen around on the web is http://www.skisafari.com/Ski-Japan.aspx

I've not used them myself so I don't know what they're like.

I'd love to go to Japan myself when I'm a better boarder! Will have to be for the tree skiing. Very Happy

Good luck and let us know what you eventually sort out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Speak to MikePow. He seems to have spent a lot of time in Japan and seems to know a lot about the various areas for skiing, so could probably offer some very valuable advice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, will check them out. Cheers

VolklAttivaS5, I'm okay at boarding and the missus is ok but we're thinking "what the hell!" We just want to go. Might hgave to ditch ideas of doing Tignes in December with the boot camp thingy though... every penny counts.

garyscott20, will get in touch with Mike
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, tell em you want business class flights.. you get better treatment then just change your mind at the last minute.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Specialman, ah I see. I've only just started boarding (only had 2 hours lessons so far!) so a trip to Japan would be a bit wasted on me right now! Skiing through trees though I love! Very Happy

When is the Japanese ski season out of interest? From when to when approx?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv, good plan

VolklAttivaS5, think it's Jan - May... not 100% sure though. Not the best boarder in the world but hey ho, I'm sure I'll learn to miss the trees!! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman, plus you get to sit in a fancy lounge in the trail finders office with free tea and biscuits wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, now that I like!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martski, yeah-guess its well said the more money you spend the better you are treated.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to Niseko for a week last March by DIY arranging everything myself. It is marginally more expensive than booking with a TO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Specialman,

1. I would do the sight-seeing portion first. Very tiring trip from the UK to Japan. The UK tour operators want you to do the resort portion first. They can make more money out of you that way.

2. Two main areas to consider are the Nagano region on the main island of Honshu and the Niseko Resort Area on the northern island of Hokkaido. Many pros and many cons for both areas, you could spend months reading the posts on the SnowJapan forum http://www.snowjapan.com

3. I've been based in the Niseko area since December 2006. The main reasons I'll be spending my third consecutive winter here are:

I ski instruct for a living and the pitch of the terrain and the density of the snow in this area is the best I've experienced to enable recreational skiers to transition from piste to off-piste and from shallow depth powder to nip deep powder snowHead

The snow is the most consistent, deepest & lightest I've experienced to date. And I've done seasons in Colorado, Montana, Utah and British Columbia.

5-10 mins wait for lifts at the busiest time on the busiest days of the season. The rest of the time, straight on.

English is widely spoken (Australians and English speakers from Hong Kong & Singapore are the main international visitors) but you still know you're in Japan.

The food is excellent (quality, variety & cost).

It's a very beautiful area. The views of the Niseko range and especially the dormant volcano Mt Yotei never get old. And from the top of the Niseko United lift system you can see the valley below and two oceans (when it's not snowing wink ).

4. Don't entertain visiting the Niseko Resort Area between 22 December and 07 February. This is the busiest time of the winter - Australian School Holidays and Chinese New Year. Accommodation is difficult to come by and expensive. Restaurants are very busy. Slopes are at their busiest but nothing compared with Europe or the more popular N American resorts.

Hope that helps. If you need more, ask specific questions.

Oh and do a search. Quite a few threads on this forum already.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers Mike. Great info.

Been having a good talk with the missus and we're really split between having a big blow-out on a lifelong memory that will leave us skinto, or be a bit more frivolous and have a bit more cash in our hands and maybe have two boarding trips over the winter.

At the moment, the latter thought is prevailing simply because we're not wholly sure if we are prepared to skimp and save for the next 8 months and miss out on a few luxuries this year, limiting ourselves to just one holiday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Absolutely.

2 weeks minimum from the UK. The longer the better. There's enough to do and see.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy