Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small resorts near Flims-Laax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking to book a week in Flims-Laax next winter with a day or two on either side of the usual Sat-Sat. There seem to be quite a few little resorts in the area to check out, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Disentis, Vals and maybe Obersaxen look particularly interesting.

At the moment, I was thinking flying to Zurich Fri evening and catching the train to stay the night in Chur. Maybe ski somewhere else on Sat before checking into the flat in Laax. Then at the end of the week, check out on Sat and ski somewhere else that day and Sun, staying in a hotel somewhere convenient (Illanz?) before catching an evening flight out of Zurich.

Any thoughts from someone who knows the area?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ami in berlin, I spent a week in Briel/Brigels a few years ago.

The ski area isn't particularly big but the village is quite pretty.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am planning a trip sometime next year to cover Film/Davos/St Moritz/Livigno.

For Film my search shows up

From to Distance(m)

Chur Films 13
Chur Arosa 18
Chur Malbun 33
Chur Kloster 30

I am going with a car and plan to stay in Chur for a few days before moving to other areas.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, I'd originally thought of doing something similar with a base in Chur and travelling around. The missus wouldn't put up with it, though, so we're basing ourselves out of Flims-Laax with a day or two on either end. She's a nordic skier, so Flims fit the bill, and a lot of the small areas only seem to a couple km of xc if any at all. And before anyone writes it, yes I know that St. Moritz or Davos/Klosters have loads of xc, but those places our out of our budget.

I haven't heard of Malbun, I'll have to look that up.

Arosa is certainly close. It looks fairly tame, but maybe looks are deceiving. I'll have to give it a second thought.

Klosters is a possibility, although in the opposite direction that we'll be. It could work as a stop on the way back to Zurich, potentially.

rjs, isn't Brigels right next to Obersaxon? Did you happen to check it out? I don't mind a small area if it packs a big punch. I'm looking for places to spend a day, not a week, after all.

Lenzerheide is also nearby. The Germans seem to rate it very highly. I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative, to be honest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Malbun is in Liechenstein! It is a small resort that I may try it when I am near it. Last time I was there the snow wasn't good enough to try it.

It will be on your way back to Zurich.

I am surprised by your claim Davos/Klosters are out of budget as with a car you can stay at a distance away to avoid paying the premium price for the on-resort accommodations.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Liechenstein. Well that explains why I can't find it on a map of Graubünden.

I did find some cheaper accom outside of both Klosters and St. Moritz, but the missus wants village atmosphere and convenience. It's still woth considering, I suppose. We'd also rather not rent a car. I've just dropped way too much money booking a trip to the US this summer, so we're trying to keep things within a tight budget for this trip. But you may be right that a base in Klosters makes more sense than a base in Flims-Laax. I'll give that another look.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, I'd love to hear a report on the skiing at Malbun. It's on my list of places I'd like to try....simply because it is the only resort (AFAIK) in Liechenstein.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ami in berlin, we had a friend (lost touch) whose parents had a place in Obersaxen and really liked it, but we've never been - for obvious reasons we tend to stay in Laax Wink Lenzerheide probably has to be worth a look, ditto Arosa.

Ilanz itself is quite a nice little place with a couple of good eateries.

The buses along the road from Chur to Disentis are pretty good I think

If you had a car, St Moritz is probably only a little over an hour away too

More info on Flims/Laax on our web site (see sig), but to be honest, it's a big enough area that you won't NEED to go anywhere else. If you want to, it's a different matter of course
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks eng_ch. I'm sure Flims/Laax is more than big enough, too, but I like to roam. I love checking out the small local areas and finding those hidden gems. Needing to book a hotel on the Friday night before and Saturday night after the standard Saturday to Saturday apartment booking anyway, it would be nearly as easy to roam a little as it would be just to book a hotel in Flims/Laax for those nights. So why not?

Lenzerheide does look pretty interesting. Vals is also intriguing, and my better half probably wouldn't mind getting off her skinny skis and into the spa, either. I'd like to hear from anyone who's skied there to hear what it's like. A steep, narrow 2000m serviced by a single gondola and a couple drag lifts sounds great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy