Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Cluzas or les Carroz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

We are planning a ski trip this Christmas, and have found suitable accomodation in La Cluzas and Les Carroz. There are 10 of us, including one child of 6, and my Mom who probably won't ski. The rest of us are of varying abilities, some of whom will probably not ski everyday. I know neither are particlarly high, but we are willing to take a risk on the snow, and they are more or less within our budget.
I haven't been to either, so was just wondering what peoples views on the two area's would be, and which do you think would be best?

Thanks,

Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi davejsy, I've been to both and would take Les Carroz every time...simply because of the range of skiing available from there. However, it's fair to say the La Cluzas is more of a "proper" town with greater variety and facilites than LCarroz . At Christmas, there is a chance that the Cluzas area will be a series of isolated mountain tops - very crowded on piste and with the bus system overloaded it can all get a bit messy. If you have a car then I'd definitely go for Carroz - you can easily drive down the mountain and get to Chamonix in < 1 hr, plus Annecy, Geneva etc for non skiing days - and up to Flaine if you need altitude due to conditions (you can ski to Flaine but that too can be a bit tricky if conditions are poor).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi kewhoward, thanks for the reply. Les Carroz seems to be the best option I guess, especially if it's easy to drive elsewhere if needs be due to snow conditions. main thing in La Cluzas's favour was we could have had a whole chalet there, where Les Carroz is an MGM apartment, although it still looks nice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We stayed in an MGM apartment this year (not Lez Carroz) and it was excellent - more space than we were anticipating and great facilities - good swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna type things. Really helpful staff. 10 of us have never had so much space in a French apartment. Have never stayed in les Carroz but skied the area when based in Morillon and thought it was good varied resort if you're a mixed group of intermediates. Really good access to Geneva and other resorts close enough for a day out. Although not high Les C does have easy access to Flaine which has a good snow record - that micro-climate thing all the best resorts have Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks smwbounce, sounds good. I did read that Flaine is in the top 3 for snow coverage in France, hopefully we will have another Christmas like last year anyway. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I did read that Flaine is in the top 3 for snow coverage in France,

Hmm. I' d be a little dubious about that, given the altitude. It's not bad though, and very easy access from Geneva. Probably a better bet than La Clusaz at Christmas, because of snow, though La Clusaz is a much nicer town.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Flaine itself isn't that high (1600m) but the top regularly gets 3-4 metres at 2400 metres.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davejsy, Have you searched the forum on Les Carroz? There are loads of comments about interconnections, snow cover, lift systems etc. Real warts and all stuff. I;ve been to the area 4 times, a couple of times late season when it was has been a bit rubbish below 1500m but the top half of the Flaine bowl has always been in excellent nick. You'll see some comments about nutty speed freaks but I've never had a real problem with this recently - maybe I'm going a bit quicker these days so they are not quite so scary!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kewhoward, will have a look on the forums. I do like the sound of Les Carroz, and we will have a couple of cars so getting around if need be won't be a problem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
steve, yes, I know that Flaine is good for snow (I've been there myself when conditions were very ropey in Chamonix, for example) but I'm just dubious about the "third best in France" claim!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Food is much much better in La Clusaz. Snow is much better in Flaine. Apres ski better in La Clusaz - les Carroz soleless. I think Clusaz has the better runs for advanced skiiers but it does get the riff raff from Annecy at weekends and is quite spread out. More speed freaks in Clusaz than Carroz. Both involve a fair bit of poling/transitting to get around. Flaine has a bizarre microclimate that belies its height and location.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
les carroz is good fun at christmas, especially for kids (lift pass is free for them if you get a form from mgm reception) Pere Noel arrive on a sleigh (well the village tractor and trailor) and then flies off in his balloon from the village potato field! (its the nursery slopes in the winter) on christmas eve. there is also load of things organised by the tourist office.
If you are in MGM, send me a PM on here.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz, we are in the process of booking an MGM apartment, will send you a PM.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy