Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire - Munich Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Austria this coming season, flying into Munich Airport.

Re car hire and snow tyres, which are compulsory in Austria, does anyone know if any hire firms have them fitted as a matter of course, or if you have to specify them at the time of booking.

They are an expensive, but no doubt necessary add-on.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need them in Austria. Here is the link to my question on the subject below. I used Avis and did not request them but they ended up making me take a car with them on anyway but only paying extra insurance. Was always puzzled as to if the all cars had them anyway.

wink http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40797
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a tricky subject which I've been trying to navigate through for my trip next Feb flying into Stuttgart then on to Italian Dolomites via Austria. I've booked with Holiday Autos using the well-known 15% discount link, the supplier on my booking is Budget who declare on their website that their entire German fleet is equipped with snow tyres from Dec through Feb and they levy a charge of 5 euros per day for the privilege. Hol Autos have it down on my booking as 10 euros per day, so I am expecting some haggling at the counter. Some other hire companies charge up to 16euros per day, so beware.
In Jan 2007 I had a car from Alamo in Munich via HA, they were heavily pushing winter tyres (96euros for 7 days)then, but I didn't take them as I was only going to SkiWelt, they had to find a car with summer tyres and I got a brand new (5km) Astra Estate, the brand new tyres seemed to bite nicely into any snow I came across. In France, I've only ever had normal summer tyres, you just go easier if it's a bit snowy.
As far as I can work out, the law is getting ever stricter, particularly in Austria, and insurance won't pay out if there is an inkling that road conditions would merit winter tyres. So, I think you are going to have to stump up the extra, just make sure you know what it is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cforcat, have you found what you needed?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You definitely must have winter tyres in Austria if the conditions are considered wintery! Failure to do so can incur a fine of up to €5000, and even worse, your insurance may decide not to pay in the event of an accident Shocked
Here's a relevant article, unfortunately in German http://www.sueddeutsche.de/automobil/artikel/425/144101/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang, it really has tightened up since 2007 then. You can't take the risk of not hitting wintry conditions at some point on your travels.

At least some of the hire companies in Germany are now levying fees more in line with costs and not using winter tyre provision as an excuse for exorbitant extra charges.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy