Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai for a weekend soon?

Poster: A snowHead
Having just read http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=944227 I'm wondering if a crafty weekend soonish might be a good idea?

Anyone been there? Is it any good? Anyone fancy it? snowHead

Jon.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tempting. I wonder what flights are like from London airports....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
annoyingly easyjet flights from Liverpool to Innsbruck have stopped, anyone would think it was summer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly, damn, so they have. I should have realised. That makes a lot of difference Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonm, if flights are possible yes I would be up for it. I did two weekends to Innsbruck last season, one of which was in the Stubai valley and had a half a day at the Glacier until they shut it due to those storms that hit Austria and Germany (wobbly plane landing vid?/). I still have a one day lift pass left too Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, excellent. Due to the lack of Easyjet flights I suspect it might be a bit pricey, but I'll do a bit of research...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm, there's Easyjet from Stansted to Munich, which would have two downsides - i.e. Stansted and Munich - and a 150 mile drive from Munich. Not ideal. I'll keep looking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would a train from Munich to somewhere near Stubai be any good?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Innsbruck is obviously the airport to go to, not too sure if I could be @rsed with train rides etc plus the flight for a long weekend
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, yeah - I can't spare the time off for anything more than a weekend unfortunately, and wouldn't want to spend half of it travelling, so I think it would have to be Innsbruck. Such a shame Easyjet's flights are seasonal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonm, Easyjet still do Innsbruck from Gatwick but they are Saturday and Wednesday flights. I have also used Saltzburg to get to Stubai, its about a 2 hour drive but not sure if you'll get flights covering a weekend at this time of year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JK, I noticed those but it is bit of a drive this end from south Wales and probably mid Wales for jonm too. Shame really
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, real shame, I use Stubai quite a lot for early and late short breaks. Just waiting for next winter's Bristol schedules to come out for Easyjet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had a quote of £860 from Manchester via Frankfurt Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JK, yip, if I do it next season flight arrives in Innsbruck about 11.30am on Friday, then a taxi to the accom, then straight on the slopes by lunch time especially if staying somewhere near Schlick 2000, then Sat and Sun take the bus up the valley to the Stubai glacier and flight back on Monday morning.
snow conditions
rayscoops,

Munich to Innstruck and then bus to Stubai must be a doddle.. 90 mins I'd guess, by train, if that.
ski holidays
best I've found from a quick look around...

£310.73
- Expedia Special Fare

09:50 Depart Manchester (MAN)
Arrive Innsbruck (INN) 17:05 Fri 23-May
Duration: 6hr 15min Lufthansa 4851 / 6412
Connect in Frankfurt (Frankfurt Intl.)

13:40 Depart Innsbruck (INN)
Arrive Manchester (MAN) 17:15 Mon 26-May
Duration: 4hr 35min Lufthansa 6411 / 4856

£312.45
- Expedia Special Fare

09:40 Depart Birmingham (BHX)
Arrive Innsbruck (INN) 17:05 Fri 23-May
Duration: 6hr 25min Lufthansa 4901 / 6412

13:40 Depart Innsbruck (INN)
Arrive Birmingham (BHX) 17:35 Mon 26-May
Duration: 4hr 55min Lufthansa 6411 / 4904
snow report
Swirly,
Quote:

Just had a quote of £860 from Manchester via Frankfurt

kinell! You could fly to Australia for less than that!
ski holidays
jonm, Some freinds of mine have tickets to the CL final...

Ticket £67. flight £800:00...!!!! god knows what the hotel will be... and there will be all sorts fo other 'surprises' for the unsuspecting out there.

Don't get in the wrong taxi...!!! I fear carnage..!!!!

OTT, sorry..!!

Munich is the route, IMV
latest report
jonm, is the train a possibility?
latest report
vetski, I guess it is from the airport - but not for the whole journey as we're only talking about a weekend.
snow report
JT, that's devotion to your sport Smile Still looking at Munich options, too.
snow report
JT, the whole point about Innsbruck is that you walk out of the airport, jump in a taxi and 30 minutes later you can be skiing (similarly easy to get back to the airport), taking a train from Munich adds time (plus waithing time - why is that transfers always seem to have an hour waiting time for me Puzzled ) and hassle. Plus I need to get to a London airport which is a minimumof 3.5 hours drive.

It is just not worth it for two days summer skiing.
snow report
rayscoops,

I can see your journey times just don't add up very well... and I'd stretch it to 3 days anyway. Accept that Innsbruck is more desirable but not at £800:00. Looks like you'll have to make do with Tignes in Dec'.. Laughing
ski holidays
How about other summer ski destinations? Doesn't have to be Stubai (even tho it's only 30 mins away), LDA is close to Grenoble? Hintertux (ok, that's Innsbruck as well), Kaprun, Saas Fee?
ski holidays
Going out 25 May - Just booked my tickets £200 to Munich 0755 flight from LHR, train to Fulpmes (2hrs £15) and then bus to Neustift (20 mins £2). I'll be on the glacier in the afternoon. Accom £15 pppn. Can't beat that.
snow conditions
TelemarkKing, well done hope you enjoy it. How regular are the trains from Munich and do they fit in with flight times? also watch out for the bus time table because not all buses go to the glacier, especially in the middle of the day when the service can sporadic, but you should might ok from Flumpes. Also I seem to recall the galcier is at Mutterberg and an bit further than Neustift so make sure you get a bus that goes all the way. Also your B&B should give you a tourist card (A4 size) that allows free bus travel in the valley (in winter the do anyway). Enjoy and if you do not mind report back on how easy/long the connections were etc.
snow report
just done some research toi see if I can sort something out

All the 7.55-10.55 flights out of Heathrow on BA are quite expensive (at £170 out only) and Sunday 25th May is over £300 now, also checked the train table and you will be lucky to get the 11.26 - 13.20 train, otherwise the next train gets to Innsbruck at 14.18, plus with all the local Stubai travel there will not be much skiing to be had on the day of travel

Lufthansa looks interesting, Thurs 22nd May 7.25 - 10.10 from Heathrow to Munich (one way £110), which means you can get the 11.26 train to Innsbruck but you still have to get up the Stubai Valley, BA return flight on Sat 21.15 to Heathrow is £66 (or £119 on Sunday). So two full days plus a few hours on the first day for £175 flight or three days for £220.

Anyone interested in general?

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/booking?tl=1&l=en&cid=1000243

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx/public/en_gb?eId=111011&timestamp=0516083605&source=original&source=continue
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, trains are frequent see http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. I will report back and this is my 4th time in Neustift - the British Telemark team do their training and trials there wink so I am pretty versed on the valley which should be an advantage. I am going out with 16 others and so we are going to get a couple of minibuses from Munich but I just wanted to display how simple it was to get to if the appetite was there!

I will report back on my experince though I this is first time I have been in the summer!
ski holidays
All if anyone is seriously! interested then PM me as I may be able to squeeze some on to the group booking that I have for £215 rtn with BA out on 25 May back on 1 June from London. I'd happily enquire for you if you are keen.
snow conditions
has anyone looked into accom?

found this on the stubai website....

Springtime, sun and skiing at Stubai Glacier:

valid until 28th May 2008
Two accommodations with half-board (depending on the category)
2,5 day ticket for Stubai Glacier
from EUR 145,00 per person
snow conditions
My accom is working out at about £20 pppn. Don't know about lift pass though EUR 145,00 per person does seem too good to be true?
ski holidays
kitenski,I had a single room with breakfast during the winter for Euros 45 a night and the lift pass is Euro 30 for a day or Euro 60 for 2 1/2 days (if you book it after mid day you get that afternoon free) Very Happy so take off Euros 60 for the pass and that leaves you with two nights accomm for Euro 85 pp or Euro 42.5 each Very Happy seems expensive wink

TelemarkKing, the trip should be good, have fun
snow report
I couldn't do next weekend as I'm on call for work from May 26th - Jun 2nd Sad

So it'd have to be 6th Jun at the earliest for me.
snow report
jonm, i have a degree show on 31st to attaned, then a p$ss up in Pompey the weekend after (which I have already switched about 10 times), so the week after 13th june would be the earliest too, if there was still decent conditions, but i will probably be up for a trip by then but what about conditions

I am beginning to sound like an old moany washer woman Shocked
snow conditions
rayscoops, need to keep an eye on the website/cams nearer the time I guess. As an aside, I've now discovered I can get time off in lieu instead of pay for being on call - which is useful as the number of days holiday I get was looking like being an issue. So I'm keener than ever to get away for a weekend now...
snow conditions
jonm, it would be good to have flexibility with respect to day of travel because flights could be half the price travelling Thurs/Frid or coming back on a Monday/tuesday
snow report
Going by train from Munich to Innsbruck should be possible, don't you think?
latest report
Janine, there are trains to Innsbruck, taking 1h54, every two hours. Change in Rosenheim. You have to add about 40 minutes to that for the train from Munich airport to the central station. So all in all it should be possible in less than three hours. The trip from Innsbruck up to Stubai Mutterbergalm is by bus and takes 1h26. So quite a long journey all in all!
By hire car from Munich airport it would be about 2h30!
snow conditions
Steilhang, see my post about this above and there is a link http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy