Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada, BC

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are Emmigrating to Canada next year,early 2009.

All 3 of us are snowboarders,mum and dad and a 14 year old boy.

We have been offered jobs in Vancouver and would like any information on areas to live,schools, house prices,car prices and the best place to buy, lift passes(season tickets),lifestyle,culture, etc,etc. Oh..and skateboard parks.

We would also welcome views and advice from non residents who have experience of holidaying in BC

Thanks in advance, Paul.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Not sure I can offer you much advice, but I've just got back from a 2 week holiday in Whistler. - It was my first 'winter holiday' and learning to snowboard. Great place - People really friendly, good snow, great mountains, great service. I imagine that there must be loads of activities to do in the summer as well. I imagine too far to commute to Van though, about 2 - 2 1/2 hours drive.

Popped into Vancouver for a night out and a very very brief look round. Wasn't overly impressed, but as it was such a brief visit I wouldn't read much into that. We didn't really know where the nice/not so nice areas were. If you ended up in the wrong part of London, I'm sure you would think much the same, if not worse!

Given the chance I'd be out there, so I'm very jealous!

Mark
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulm, we had a 3 week stay in the area in June 2004.

Stayed in downtown Van for the first 3 nights. Vancouver island for a week, whistler for a week then 4 nights in north van staying in a B&B.

West (north) Van is the most expensive part of the city to buy and rent. North Vancouver would be my perfect place to stay. Right next to the north shore (mountain bike mecca) and easy access to Grouse mountain for skiing and a wee bit further away from Seymore (i think that's what it was called) a bit further along.

Access to downtown from north van was easy on the water bus that is like a bus service that runs across the bay. From what i heard, traffic can get quite bad in rush hour going across lions gate bridge in to stanley park and downtown.

East of the city (burnaby) is more affordable and has good access to downtown and out east to the mountains. north van has easier access up to whistler up the sea to sky highway.

Van island is just over an hour away on the ferry from west van - ferry to Nanaimo - and if you drive south of vancouver you can get the ferry from tsawwassen to just outside victoria.

Beautiful place to be but it does have it's areas to avoid.

I'm off home now. will post more tomorrow.

P
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulm, there are 3 mountains on the north shore, (grouse/mt seymour and cypress) and obviously whistler up the road. all have websites, and have info relating to your questions on that there.

Re car, if you register a car in vancouver you have to pass an emission test ("clean air" test), outside of the city you don;t. no such thing as MOT over here........just higher prices for insurance.

Regarding buying a place, and a location you really want to talk to a helpful real estate agent who know the market. I have been down for tourist stuff, and most of the parents of the kids I coach live down in Van. One of them is a really nice mom that happens to be a realtor. I'm sure she would be great to talk to about your questions, as thats her job! PM or message me if you would like her contact details.

I bought a place up in whistler this year, and the system works a bit different re purchasing stuff, but very good news is no gazumping!

BC truly is the "greatest place on earth" as per the province tagline.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got to agree with paulhothersall's last line, and add to it that Vancouver is the "greatest city on earth".

I have relatives that live in North Vancouver and it is a great place (they just have to watch out for bears coming up from the forest at the end of the garden during BBQs Laughing ). As shoogly has said it gives easy access to a wealth of leisure activities. Downtown is still easily accessible by either crossing the Lions Gate Bridge (can get a little busy at rush hour of course) or using the sea bus passenger ferry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
North Shore is gorgeous but not particularly cheap I understand.

Unfortunately the Canucks after a promising early season have shown their usual end of season slump in form to miss the Stanley Cup playoffs entirely so you might be better picking a city with a reliable Hockey team.

Depending on where your work is and teh size of house you want you might consider the more southern and eastern suburbs (they are actual separate cities) as access to Mt Baker is easier than Whistler and actually less of a gong show most weekends.

Culture is definitely pacific rim outdoors - if you don't hike, bike, kayak, sail windsurf etc you probably will. Skate parks are not an issue - plenty I think even small towns in BC seem to have large skate parks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I was going to live in Vancouver I would buy a place in Kitsilano or further out towards UBC.
Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulm i presume you will have already found the british expats website http://www.britishexpats.com but just in case you havent there you go.

We are immigrating to alberta sometime towards the end of the year (fingers crossed) just got to fill the pnp paperwork and get it sent off then wait for medical requests etc and see if we can sell the house. Puzzled Puzzled

Cant give any specifics about BC but we wont be more than 5-6 hours drive away from Vancouver and only 45 mins from Banff, house prices are expensive in Vancouver but you still get a lot for your cash, roughly about half the cost of uk homes and probably twice as big, 2000sq foot etc. Car prices are half the cost they are in the uk and petrol is about $1.10 at them moment which has really pissed everyone off.
Season passes for the family are the norm as you prob be able to head off to the mountains each weekend or school holidays etc, Canada has a chronic shortage of doctors and nurses at the moment so you may find it hard to get a gp if youve got ant f/f out there try and get you on someones books. Nurses are being offered about $8K to sign up in alberta at the moment so i imagine its similar in BC too.

It might help to get in touch with a realtor if you havent already as many will organise getting your med insurance drivers license opening up bank acc as part of their normal service, ours even meet you at the airport and give you a mobile phone foc.

Are you moving lock stock and barrel or have you decided to rent first?

have you been to any of the emigrate shows ??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Royal,

Thanks for the advice, and nice to know someone is going through a similar time to us.

My wife is in a Medical Profession and I am an Engineer. I will probably be getting in touch with a realtor as advised bypaulhothersall as we do want to buy, but like most brits we shall be renting first. We will however,be selling up 'lock stock' and be shipping the lot over there.

Thank you very much to all of you for some really great advice, keep it coming guys Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

skisimon,
Quote:

they just have to watch out for bears coming up from the forest at the end of the garden during BBQs
not to worry,they wouldn't want to eat what i cook wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dont forget if you camp in the woods, sleep in different clothes you cooked in and make sure your camp is at least 100m away from where you ate !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy