Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski's, some advice please

Poster: A snowHead
OK, Just joined you guys, loads of info around on this site, but I am after a bit of advice.

I've an old pair of Dynastar Course Slaloms (203's) in my loft that I've not used for 5 years (break having a a family etc) and I am off to St Anton in March. Anyway, I will be taking the Dynastar's with me but I am also planning to bring an extra pair of Ski's back in the bag Laughing

So, what should I look at.

I will ski anything on piste with skill and grace but I am a bit less then perfect off piste (using slalom skis did not help) but could get by on most things.

So I am looking for a fast accurate ski for hooning down the piste and the bumps but something that will allow me to master the steep and scray off piste stuff too.

Budget not really too much of an issue, but say around £650.

I'm 5 foot 9 and 12 1/2 stone.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scooby, welcome to snowheads, are they the old Dynastar with the big blop on the tip? Fabulous old skis, but you'll find them a tad old fashioned now. If you like Dynastars, have a look at the legend range, possibly the 6200. You're in luck in St Anton, there's a very good ski hire shop called Jennewein, in the new building opposite the gondola station. You'll find you'll be able to try a different ski every day and if you buy they'll deduct the hire from the purchase price.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-12-04 16:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David@traxvax wrote:
Scooby, welcome to snowheads, are they the old Dynastar with the big blop on the tip? Fabulous old skis, but you'll find them a tad old fashioned now. If you like Dynastars, have alook at the legend range, possibly the 6200. You're in lick in St Anton, there's a very good ski hire shop called Jennewein, in the new building opposite the gondola station. You'll find you'll be able to try a different ski every day and if you buy they'll deduct the hire from the purchase price.

Noooo their not that old..... Couple of evolutions after that. Black / orange / Green with the globe on them. I'm staying in Nasserein but will check the shop out when I am there.

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scooby_simon, welcome to SnowHeads! snowHead

My advice: Leave the Dynastars at home. Once you get on a new ski, you'll want to find a place for them in the attic, anyway. If you like the old Dynastar, try a new OmeCarve. Or, check out the demo reports I posted here for my thoughts on more than 20 high-end skis.

Those 203s will ski no terrain as well as a current high-end ski will ski all terrain. You just aren't going to believe the difference!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with ssh, anything more than a couple of years old is out-classed by now.

I am looking for the same type of skis and and looking at 4800/6200 or B5's which I am hoping will allow me to blat around on-piste whilst looking for all sorts of interesting stuff off-piste.

I want a lightish manouvable ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax wrote:
are they the old Dynastar with the big blop on the tip?
That reminds me, I have a pair like that in my loft. I should take them out one day to see just how much the equipment has moved on.
How about a rally at a snowdome, using antique gear?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MartinH,

Hi
Not sure many new-ish skiers could handle the old skis. I find some new ones just don't suit me because I put them on edge differently. My friend has come on leaps and bounds with new skis but just can't cope with older Rossi's 9s, for example.

For this reason I can't be bothered with B2's as you just have to ride them. I want a quicker edge to edge ski as I still rely on my jump turns. Antiquated technique I know, but is what I know...Too old to change..!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MartinH, if you're in La Rosiere last week of the season, you'll see all sorts of strange equipment. We have an end of season race/water jump/party called Le Goullette which is an excuse to wear silly clothes get all the old gear out and go for it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, 'too old to change'??
Check out your local slope for an instructor training programme. It kept me going through the last 3 Summers, learned LOADS, even picked up some qualifications along the way. Before that, I had a proper 70's style (legs stuck together, swinging arms), to go with my gigantic planks. A little dry slope makes you focus on technique, as there's nothing else to do. Obviously, good instruction is essential.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi MartinH

Maybe I should but I spend most of the time with a guide which is a different kind of instruction. And not many of them ski like French ski instructors. My technique gets me down most things that are steep but I struggle in crud and the sort of stuff that the planks can blast out of the way, it just doesn't appeal much.

I am probably at a crossroads and will have to do something. I got blown away by my mates largely last year and if it happens again this year it will be crunch time.

The first thing I will do is get fit to ski...!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any other suggestions ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scooby_simon,
If you like to carve try Volkls - I've been demoing the 724 Pro and the 724 EXP and found them, for me, fast and responsive in most conditions, including 18 inches of new snow. The Pro does feel considerably stiffer, almost too much for me (being a girl!) but still managed to have fun. I'm told I'm an advanced skier - spend most of my time on blacks or playing in the bumps, but I still like to cruise the harder blues (they might be reds in Europe?) - if you can call it cruising when you are passing most people! Other skis of the same type that I have been demoing are Atomic M2 XL, K2 Apache Recon, K2 Apache Crossfire, Blizzard XL, and something by Volant - I think it was the Platinum. I don't like the Rossi B1s or B2s - feels like I'm skiing on planks! But then it is all a personal preference, and we get very different snow out here - can you say Sierra Cement?!

Basically, demo until you find something you really, really like - you'll know when you've found 'your' ski! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh and I forgot - I've heard lots of good about the Nordica SUV 10 , and the SUV 12 - haven't had chance to demo them yet since I'd have to cross the road to another ski shop! - well, there's always next weekend!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scooby_simon, if you haven't skied in 5 years you'll probably notice a massive difference in technique on the slopes and everyone skiing very short skis. Go with it.

I'm 5'6" and 135lbs and used to ski 203cm for slalom, 207 for GS. Found it very difficult to handle when my ski selling mate started to drop length on me (had to revovate my EGO - the one with the longest ski wins no longer applies).

Now looking forward to testing a pair of 150cm (!) Atomics.

From the very limited description of your skiing, Salomon Xscreams would have been perfect a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure about the current models. Isn't this just the perfect opportunity to try loads of skis out?? Deep Joy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK all good info. Perhaps I need to refine my requirements more (and explain what I can and cannot do).

I can ski almost anything on piste "al la French Ski instructor with my boots welded together - I learnt 25 years ago, that's how we did it then", Bumps I can handle most of the time but I'm getting older now (36) and the last time I skied the "go down the fall line and turn when your knees hit your chin method" was starting to hurt too much. I really enjoy some of the bigger Downhill courses and hooning down them - La Face De Bellvarde at Val D'isare is a fav. and carving all my turns (on old slalom ski's, I have never skiied carvers)

I am OK off piste but want to make the next step to skiing the really steep stuff where you MUST have a guide - I can handle most of what I would call the 'around piste' off piste that is around and I'd include things like all inineries in France and the Offpiste off the Mont Fort in Verbier. Etc.

Thanks again

Simon
ski holidays
Simon

I too am new to the site but am pleasantly surprised by the amount of good info available here. For what it is worth, as a guy who spends his winters in the Alps guiding for fun not money all levels of skier on all types of kit, the Dynastars must go. The sentimentality issue is understood, in which case hang them over the fire.

To narrow down the options available to you, decide what you are going to concentrate on when skiing. There is no real thing as an all-round ski. For perfecting off-piste, and if you spend time in Verbier (my stamping ground) then you should make the most of it, you need a ski that is aimed more to that type of skiing. To that end, test drive the Scott Aztecs, K2 Phat Luv, Volkl 724 Pro, Rossi (it pains me to say it!) B2 and the equivalent ski from each manufacturer, they are all the same in theory but with slight maker-specific quirks.

Blasting downhill courses and skiing the steeps and deeps are not mutually exclusive (I used my Blizzard 217 Downhill skis for a week one season cos they were so good off-piste), but also for strafing bumps? Not quite so easy. If you are a Dynastar fan the old 4x4s were excellent as all-mountain skis but the new 4800s may do the same job. Otherwise, against my instincts 'cos I hate them, the B2 is probably right up your street!! And if you are going to venture into guide-only territory then strap on some Diamir FRs, get some skins, a harness, transceiver, shovel and probe and join the party!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
Can you let me know the best website to purchase skis from, please bear in mind I live in Dublin, Ireland and the Sterling to Euro rate is not great at the moment.

Alternatively I will be flying to Munich and driving to St. Anton. Can you advise me of any good shops enroute. Also since this will be first purchase of skis, do they come ready to rock or do you have to wax them yourself or drop them to the ski shop on arrival in St. Anton?

Thanks
snow conditions
Hi Anne, I am a proponent of www.telemark-pyrenees.com as it is owned by mates and they are fast and mount bidings for nothing. Generally skis are good to go from the shop, but ask them to prepare them first and they may de-tune tips and tails. They are normally waxed with preservative wax from the factory and this is fine to ski on for a few days, then a quick hot wax will sort them for you.

Enjoy St Anton, a great venue and full of ski shops too!
snow conditions
scooby_simon, having learnt skiing 35 years ago myself, I know exactly what you mean about technique. I have some bad and some good news for you. Bad news first - it's hardly worth getting carvers if you're going to ski with your boots welded together, you will certainly not get the most out of them.
Good news - it is not that difficult to learn the new, more efficient techniques, I've done it after 30 years of skiing. Best of all, skiing more efficiently takes less out of you, so you can go on longer!
So, I would suggest getting some lessons first, then you can choose the ski that suits you best.
snow report
scooby_simon,

I have the same problem. I want to ski bumps, blat around on-piste quite fast and then do some steep gullies. I used to use Bandit XX's but this year I will be looking at Atomic B5's, Head Monster 70's and Dynstar 6200's which I am hoping will be good fun to ski quickly but helpful in steep and chopped up snow. I am loathe to go for a monster off-piste ski unless the conditions warrant it. Even though I hire, some shops charge you for changing the ski daily so I prefer to get one ski to do it all as well as the compromises allow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy