Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive to Italy Feb half term??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are really struggling to fit our ski holiday into school hols this year. Easter was amazing last winter but I’m a bit nervous of leaving it so late this year with our holidays not starting until 13th April. New year is out this year which just leaves February. We are the last week of Feb which clashes with Paris. I’ve heard this is not great in French resorts.

So I’m wondering if Italy would be better? We still want to drive which I guess restricts us to closer resorts. Will they be just as busy if they are close to France?

Anyone have any experience of good Italian resorts to drive to, with ski in ski out accommodation at half term??

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've driven to Italy several times, through both the Mont Blanc and the Fréjus tunnel. At half term I think I'd go for the latter - I've never skied in places like Bardonecchia but I would have thought you could find what you're looking for. The French resorts will certainly be very busy. It's extra time (and expense) to drive through to Italy, but perfectly doable. It's what I'd do if I were stuck with half term.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In 2017 we skied in the Dolomites when UK half term did not clash with Fasching or Carnevale week and it was great, not too rammed. The same goes for this year if your half term is w/c 11th Feb. Just google the respective holidays mentioned to confirm. I would definitely give Italy a go. This year we could not go over half term so are trying New year in the Dollies which I expect to be much busier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dolomites a more difficult drive too, I guess.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@breeze11, Bardonecchia does not have to much in the way of ski-in/ski-out accommodation, you'd be better off with Sestrierre which I can confirm is a great choice at half term.

We used to escape the French hordes and go to the Milkyway on a regular basis when lift passes were part of the season ski pass but alas no more.

Yes you'll have to drive through the Frejus but what you pay for that you'll save over and over on food etc in Italy compared to France.

And from the likes of Chambery it really is quite close, though you will have French holiday hordes in the Maurienne Valley going to the various stations.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I drive to Italy a fair amount and usually twice a year for skiing. It just depends where you are going to in Italy as to which is the best route to use.

If going to Bardonecchia or Sestriere then the Frejus would be the correct route. But you would not use that route for the Valle D'Aosta or for The Dolomites (either via Ticino and Como or via the Brenner Pass).

I love the Dolomites and there is a huge ski area there but its further than the western Alps and requires more car time and a stopover with a family.

So i suggest you do the Valle D'Aosta or Piemonte then you can do those resorts in a day easily. As an alternative to the Mont Blanc route (and the Chamonix Valley) you can go through France via Reims Metz/Nancy Strasbourg Mulhouse Switzerland (vignette required) via Basel Montreaux Martigny then into Italy via the Great St Bernard Tunnel down to Aosta and onwards via the autostrada motorway.

The advantage to this route is the tolls are 30-40 through France each way vs 70odd each way if you just do Calais to Chamonix on motorway. Via the Bernard tunnel it is 43 return (up to 30 days) rather than the 54 return for the Mont Blanc tunnel which is UP TO 7 DAYS ONLY. Any more and you would need to buy 2 singles which are around 45 each.

It does take approx 2-3 hours longer via Switzerland but means on busy weekends on the Autoroute MontBlanc you don't get hit in the crazy traffic that they often get...although Switzerland gets its share too!

I like La Thuile and Cervinia both of which are different types of resort but both have a lot for beginners and intermediates. La Thuile is a nice area with skiing over to France, its a nice quiet resort and has lots to offer. Cervinia is massive and again has a lot to offer with huge terrain and a link over to Switzerland. Pila from Aosta in the Valley is good for kids too and has ski in and out accomodation though is smaller than the 2 mentioned previously. There is a big British ski school presence there (i forget their name).

hth
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We enjoyed Monterosa area, staying at Stafal at half term a couple of years ago. Having stopped at Les Gets on the way through to ski for a day with friends, the relative quietness of the slopes was quite stark....as was the low cost on the mountain! Stayed at the chalet du lys. Not ski out but was ski in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Dolomites are best visited using cheap flights into Venice, Treviso, Verona, Bergamo, etc. But may be too late now to get anything cheap for half-term. This year Fasching/Carnevale is in early March so doesn't clash with half-term, so many Italian ski areas won't be busy midweek that week. Car hire in winter is very cheap in N Italy. Had 3 lovely half-term holidays there now and going again in 2019, no crowds or crazy prices, Italian food & welcome, what's not to like?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

no crowds or crazy prices, Italian food & welcome, what's not to like?

FFS! SSSSHHHHHH!!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

no crowds or crazy prices, Italian food & welcome, what's not to like?

FFS! SSSSHHHHHH!!!! Madeye-Smiley

Oops, sorry, did I let the cat out of the bag?? Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all! Im off to have a look at all of those areas now. And thank you for the driving advice too. I dont think we'd mind an extra couple of hours in the car for quieter slopes.

I just dont understand why all the french dont just travel the extra couple of hours too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@breeze11, did you look at the BA flight pass option?

You can buy 2 sets of return flights from Gatwick to Turin covering half term and the first week of Easter school holidays (including one bag each) for a family of 4 £981 in total.

Obviously not sure how many in your family unit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Full thread here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137668&highlight=
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm doing Dolomites next month ...overnight from Hull £159 (one way)..1 stop near Ulm €60 Austrian vignette €8 (for a week ) and the toll on the Brenner ?..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The short Austrian vignette is valid 10 days and is approx 9euros.
The Brenner pass is 19euros return trip.

Coffee is cheaper and better in Italy so wait till crossing if you fancy one Laughing
Diesel is cheaper in Austria than Italy though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy