Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This Weekend Pre-Opening

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Booked flights to Geneva for this weekends pre-opening but cant decide where to go. Was thinking of Morzine or Les Carroz/Grand Masiff?

Accommodation is easier and cheaper in Morzine but Facebook and Instagram pic's of Les Carroz look fantastic.

Also, does anyone know the difference between pre-opening and official opening?

Any help or advice would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz is open from Friday and looks gorgeous
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The snow level (so far) ((at least in Chamonix)) has been around 1,200-1,400m which is fine for Chamonix as most skiing is >1,800m. I cannot speak for PdS or GM but I would probably be going a little higher myself.

I'm also not 100% sure what will open.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoriaz maybe the safest option.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Andy_Nuco, tbh, Avoriaz does not looks as though it’s had all that much depth ... hard to tell from the webcams http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=fr_avoriaz - les Carroz likewise - the image I saw this morning overlooking Brevent looked better.

At this stage though, there should be a steer on what’s actually going to open by Friday. I would wait and see what will be running (and if not publicly announced there may be well founded “rumours” on here).

I don’t imagine you are going to find accommodation a major problem.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pre-opening in Les Carroz means not every chair is necessarily open. I can't exactly recall which ones were not running last year and it will be different this year as I assume it is based on snow depth in different locations. Often they do not bother to open the drag lifts, apart from on Coin Coin. That said, there were so few people last year it did not matter as we could wend our way about, checking to see what was open. We skied happily over to Flaine. One thing to remember is that Les Carroz does not have a 'hopping' apres scene.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Avoriaz only really had decent snow on Sunday and temperature means they've not been making much (certainly not judging by the webcams). Personally I'd be looking to go higher/somewhere that's had more of a base.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avo (and Flaine) require a lot of snow on their pistes - these are on rocks.
Morzine/Les Gets, and I suppose Les Carroz, only need a bit as you ski on smow covered grass. But of course they are lower...

Anyway, pre opening means not all pistes will be open. Typically Les Gets will probably only have Chavannes - but they also say the link to Mz will be open so I suppose Plateau de Nyon or Pleney will be on too?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, and Les Gets fully opens on the 22nd
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice it's not going to be an easy decision. Where would you suggest higher?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Carroz have just announced their runs for the pre-opening. It is on the ESF Les Carroz facebook page. Partial opening only. But hey enough for us to do, fingers crossed we get more snow and it stays cold.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheesie168 - Nice one, thanks I'll check it out now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I know, we were watching rain and snow lines out of our lounge window in Cham.

@Andy_Nuco, really depends who opens what.

I’d personally (with what I saw online this morning and what was going on over the weekend think Brevent-Flegere or Grands Montets (or a day on each) depending on what CdMB deign to open.

If SERMA pull their fingers out and Avoriaz is open down as far as Lindarets plateau, that’s good for a weekend, especially if link to Plaine Dranse is working.

Equally, Flaine could be good esp. if accessible from Carroz.

Buts:
- what was the wind doing? It was pretty gusty in Cham town and Geneva...
- how motivated are they to open on a quiet weekend? I know Avoriaz has a festival but that’s presumably music oriented
- Just how much snow! And prep being done? Not sure there’s much cover below 1,400m
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and without stating the obv, would be interesting to know what e.g. Espace Killy is up to. But that bit longer of a drive...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having seen pictures of people out touring in avoriaz this morning- I’d go to Avoriaz
ski holidays
@under a new name - It's a tough one, Val d'isere and Tignes is probably the safest bet but that then means hiring a car and driving 3 hours rather than a short transfer. That journey eats so much out of the three days.
latest report
@under a new name, yeah sorry, should have made it clear that I was just agreeing with you Smile I'm off to Avoriaz at the end of the month and have been flicking on to the webcams every now and then, was interesting to see how quickly the snow retracted when it rained last week.

If the OP is only doing a weekend then it's a bit tricky as presumably they'll want transfer times short. If it's a week then I'd be looking to head round the Moutiers/Bourg side of Mont Blanc, maybe as far as Tignes which has had a bucketload.
snow report
@under a new name, by Saturday virtually all the EK will be open, including down to 1550. La Daille was gone today.
snow conditions
Les Gets pre opening this weekend only:
https://www.lesgets.com/organisez-et-reservez/actualites/ouverture-domaine-15-decembre-2018.html

Small area but small prices.
snow conditions
@Andy_Nuco, from elsewhere, Chatel opening PLJ upwards including link to Avoriaz. Apparently really quite a lot of snow, at least high up. That would be quite tempting and short transfer.

CdMB being very silent on what they're opening despite the cams looking very fine up Brevent and Flegere. Pity the decent cams up GMs were attached to the old cable car... my suspicion is that they are way down their priorities!
ski holidays
Just one thought about altitude...
Altitude is better PROVIDED THERE IS ENOUGH COVER for the rocky terrain that you get high up. Lower skiing is on meadows and needs a lot less snow to work. Early season, if the weather is cold but the snow accumulation is relatively small then lower and grassier CAN bet better. Les Contamines is opening this weekend and has ~ 60cm which is plenty for its grassy slopes.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice and info. My friend and i have opted to go for Avoriaz. Its that bit higher, decent value for money accommodation and from what I've read on various websites there is quite a bit of snow plus the majority of the lifts opening over the coming weekend. The weather forecast is not looking the best but I'm sure we will have a great time.
snow report
@jedster, no question, and my favourite argument...

but when you've spent the last two weekends watching it rain up to around 1,600m and chuck down snow on and off from 1,600-1,800 upwards ...altitude is surely your friend.

Not always and my word I would not have wanted to be anywhere higher last weekend...breezy!
snow report
Les Gets also opening for this weekend.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Enjoy the rain:

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/les-gets/74260
ski holidays
@Andy_Nuco,

What's pre-opening?

Doesn't that mean nothing will be open? Puzzled
latest report
With the forecast for sunday showing significant rain up to 2000m early Might I suggest Val Thorens to be a better bet

25 lifts open and reporting packed powder.
snow conditions
Les Arcs currently has apartments at €3 pppn.

Practically free.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://rockonsnow.com in Avo this weekend
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Enjoy the rain:

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/les-gets/74260
Perfect Sarurday!
latest report
PdS before early January is always risky. This year, especially so.
snow conditions
Quote:

but when you've spent the last two weekends watching it rain up to around 1,600m and chuck down snow on and off from 1,600-1,800 upwards ...altitude is surely your friend.

fair point!
latest report
That said:
https://www.lescontamines.net/meteo.html

Looks pretty good this weekend!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy