Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all snowHead !!

I am heading off to Val D'Isere on the 20th this month for my second week this season. First time ever managed to get a secong week in a season, sooooo excited!!

Here is my dilema, I am going with a work colleague and it is her first week skiing in resort, been a couple of times on dry slopes but pretty much a virgin. This will be my 4th trip and am quite confident on reds and most blacks.

What is the best way for both of us to enjoy our week in resort, does she need to book herself into a ski school if so would that be for the whole week or what would be best?

Or do we just head out together and I do my best to try and help her down the gentle slopes and have a laugh helping her gain some confidence. I honestly don't mind doing that and can see it woud be a giggle, but would that be the best way for her, and me for that matter to get the most out of our week on the slopes?

Any advice is appreciated, and if there are any snowHead in Val D'Isere that week would love to meet up for a beer!!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMHO trying to teach your friend would be a bad idea, better to join a class, maybe half days and meet up in the afternoons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
best thing would be for her to have a couple of private lessons preferably with one of the better ski schools try : ice, the development centre, claire Burns [i have her details if you want them PM me, she is a US /french qualified instructor who works for herself in Val]

after that there are a few really good gentle slopes on the top of solaise and around the grand prix area of bellvarde

whatever happens the show is great and there are plenty of places to remeber the falls and drink beer, have fun
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi mooncat8, I'd have thought maybe get her familiar with the gear, perhaps a bit of fun and acclimatisation for the first day and then some one to one lessons in the mornings, allowing you to go and get your reds and blacks in. Perhaps with an easier time in the afternoon as you ski together and let her practice what she has learned with support from you.

I'd recommend Evolution 2 from personal experience - high quality ski intruction.

Have a great time - I'm sure you both will snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mooncat8,
I would second teh private lesson route for you friend for 2 days and then you will be skiing together for the rest of the week. Welcome to the more than one week a year club next thing you know you will be sneaking off for weekends Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied with a 2nd weeker earlier this season for a long weekend. He didn't want lessons, partly because of cost, partly because he thought he wouldn't get great value from them over 3 days skiing (some truth in that). Rather than leave him to it, I skied with him, gave him a few pointers (poor sod, it'll take him years and years, and thousands of euros, to undo that damage), and a pleasant weekend was had by both of us, I think. I did a bit of standing around in the sun, he was pushed more than if he had been on his own, and his skiing improved somewhat.

I wouldn't want to do that for a week, though, especially with a real beginner; I'm sure that I could do irreparable damage in a week. I'm more experienced than you are (so I've heard all the things instructors tell you to do more often, even if I don't necessarily do them), but I'm certainly not able to do more than offer a few pointers, and so I'd agree that your chum should definitely have a few lessons, and then ski with you; skiing with mates, whether or not of different abilities, is one of the good things about skiing.

Private or group? Private is the obvious answer, but if she's a real beginner, she shouldn't rule out group. Group lessons are, or should be, a great laugh; no-one should miss the fun of watching fellow pupils sliding off, trying to turn and stacking, then doing the same thing themselves. It's less confidence sapping to see that no-one else can do what the instructor tells you to. Maybe a day or two group, then a private or two, and then ski with you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been in this situation myself this season.

get your friend into ski school in the mornings for the full week and meet her after her lesson is finished - have lunch and then ski together in the afternoon.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers Guys,

I will leave it to her to see if she preferes the one on one of a private lesson or the probably cameradery of a group lesson.

But the overriding advice I have took on board is that she definately needs lessons of some sort. I must admit that is what I was thinking as she will probably learn 10 times more in a morning with someone who knows what they are doing, and how to teach it, than she would learn after a week with me.

Many thanks for the comments, not a regular poster as you can tell but when I do you always come up trumps.

Cheers again,

Mooncat.

p.s. If anyone else has any top tips for this sitution please feel free to share them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mooncat8, As you live in Manchester, why not head off to the Chill Factore before you go.

Have a great time Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mooncat8, I agree with what's written above. We have visitors at the moment who have scarcely skied before, and are here with us for four days. they are having private lessons from 12 - 2pm, on their first three days. The first morning we spent an hour scooting round the nursery slope, getting used to the gear, reminding them how to ride up a button lift etc. Then we have met them after the lesson, had a quick late lunch, then skied with them on VERY easy slopes, not giving instruction (they'd had two hours of that with a v good instructor) but just providing company and encouragement and helping pick them up and collect the skis after the inevitable crashes. Also, we know the resort extremely well, so we are able to choose the right slopes to make sure they don't bite off more than they can chew. The danger if you don't know the resort well is that your colleague could become very scared and frustrated; there are some famously difficult green runs in Val D'Isere!

One suggestion, if you have maybe fancied snowboarding is to have snowboard lessons when your colleague has a ski lesson, then you can potter round together in the afternoon on a more equal basis. Plenty of laughs guaranteed. Would strongly advise against you trying to teach her to ski.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hiya Dobz,

Thanks for the reply, you are correct I am in Manchester, unfortunately my friend is in Cardiff and as far as she knows the nearest slope to her is a dry slope. I believe/hope she is going to get at least a couple of trips there before we go away.

I am going to point her in the direction of this thread and let her make her own mind up.

Again any more thoughts keep them coming,

Cheers,

Mooncat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy