Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of booking an Early Birds 7 day trip to Kimberley start of january 2009.

Anyone been before and was it a good experience?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brother went for a day and enjoyed it. If you've got transport there's also Fernie and a couple of other places.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to Kimberley twice and really enjoy it, once for a week with Inghams and the other time we stayed for a few days when doing a DIY trip. The skiing is fairly easy on the front mountain and harder off the Easter Chair. The main problem we had with it was lack of on mountain places to stop for a drink so everyone has to come down to the day lodge so it could get a bit busy and icy.

We stayed at the Lodges on Kimberley Ridge both times, which is lovely accommodation with private hot tub Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Booked to go now in January. Ive noticed on the Canada map of the resort they have green,blue, black diamond and double diamond runs. Are the blue runs like our red runs or the black diamond like our red or even black run?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MFC, can of worms there! Madeye-Smiley

I reckon as a very rough guide and huge generalisation:
Canada green - Euro easy blue
Canada blue - Euro harder blue, easy red
Canada single black - Euro harder red, easy black
Canada double black - Euro hard black/itinerary (I dunno - never go there! Toofy Grin )

But I've never been to Kimberley so don't know what their piste gradings are like
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well there's no direct comparison but going from my Whistler experience I would agree with cathy for the green and blue and add
Whistler single black - Euro harder red through to black and possibly like an itinerary run. Some of the single blacks in Whistler aren't pisted. e.g. Whistler Bowl
Whistler double black - don't think there is an equivalent on the Euro piste map, except maybe the most difficult itinerary runs, as all Whistler's double blacks are unpisted and have varying degrees of gnarly entrances depending on conditions. Sometimes quite Shocked , sometimes very Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MFC the piste gradings in North America are usually particular to that mountain ie. The green is the easiest route on that hill, the blue the next one and the Double Diamond blacks are the hardest.
Kimberley is a good ski area, we enjoyed it. Bear in mind it is a long transfer after a long flight for just a week. And the village which is about 10-15 mins away has a rather unique character all of it's own Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Double-black runs are more like European off-piste. There's not usually any clearly marked trail so you have to find your own way off the mountain. They're generally very steep, always ungroomed and usually ungroomable. You'll generally get to enjoy plenty of unmarked hazards - tree-roots, tree wells, rocks, cliffs and the like - and, if you're below the tree line, you'll almost certainly be skiing through a forest where, at best, the lower branches have been trimmed. Fabulous.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers all.

If the double diamond black runs are like you say I think we will stay away from them for now. Well my girlfriend will i will see how brave i am wink
If the single diamond black are like a hard red/easy black I think we will be ok. Would be nice to hear some more from people who have been
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done a few days at Kimberley - its nothing like as demanding as Fernie as most runs are the same sort of gradient spread across different aspects of the hill. Some nice trees and challenging bump runs as well as a couple of fast long groomers. Its certainly not huge compared to the average Euro resort - at best you'll ride 3 different chairs a day.

I'd say its more of a family cruising resort than a hardcore resort (some blindingly fast paralympic skiers excepted).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is cost like for going to Canada instead of Europe?
Does accomodation and equipment-hire make up for the extra cost of flights?

I'd like to go but wouldn't want it to be even more expensive.
Also I suppose you have to deal with long flights and jet-lag.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
simonx wrote:
What is cost like for going to Canada instead of Europe?
Does accomodation and equipment-hire make up for the extra cost of flights?

I'd like to go but wouldn't want it to be even more expensive.
Also I suppose you have to deal with long flights and jet-lag.

Comparing like with like, the total cost is very similar to the Alps. But it's much more difficult to find a cheap'n'cheerful trip to Canada.

As for jet-lag, it's for wimps. Real skiers don't let it bother them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How many times will you get to go to Canada? not many in my case so we thought we'd pay abit more and go for it. Spoke to a friend today whos been and he says the skiing is the best hes ever done. As for the jet lag we will just have to deal with it, I suppose we will be running on excitement.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MFC wrote:
Cheers all.

If the double diamond black runs are like you say I think we will stay away from them for now. Well my girlfriend will i will see how brave i am wink
If the single diamond black are like a hard red/easy black I think we will be ok. Would be nice to hear some more from people who have been

You could try taking a lesson - that's how I got started on double-blacks. An instructor will make sure that you're technically strong enough and will make sure that you don't accidentally tackle the most extreme run on the mountain just because the drop-in looked OK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kimberley has a small number of long intermediate cruisers down the front of the hill - all served by fast quad. It also has range of shorter trails through the trees on its back side that are predominantly rated as single black diamond. - Apparently they've recently gladed more of this area to provide improved tree skiing. I should say that the back side is served by an old fixed-grip triple chair (recycled from Lake Louise) that's a bit slow, and that the last time I visited in early January there hadn't been enough snow to allow this whole area to open - which would severely limit your opportunities.

You can get a bus to Fernie (takes about 2 hours) and since both Fernie and Kimberley are operated by Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, you should be able to get a lift pass that covers both hills. Fernie is WELL worth a visit (and the same time that Kimberley was experiencing sketchy conditions, Fernie had knee-deep powder).

Quote:

the village which is about 10-15 mins away has a rather unique character all of it's own

It certainly does, if you like mock-Bavarian (and the world's largest free-standing cuckoo clock).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy