Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Still got numb toes after MSB... so Boot stretches, how much can they actually be stretched

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After all the walking at the MSB my toes got a hammering in my boots, my toes are stll slightly numb which is a bit worrying. This together with losing a big toe nail every year sort of indicates that they are a bit small. Puzzled The toe box has been stretched out which has helped a little, and i know that whole boot stretches can be done, but how much, does it stretch the whole boot so the boot is actually longer? so rather than 284mm sole they will be longer, or does it just stretch the area where your foot is?

They are 24.5 Salomon Performa Equipe team, so there is not really much to play with as 24.5 is the largest size for the shell. The liner has packed out as i have done about 90 days on them. There is also a footbed from le skilab in winter park.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I'm no expert but it sounds like you ought to get a bigger size before you do yourself any more damage...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, a boot strtch will normally just push out the part of the shell that is causing pressure not lengthen the whole boot. If you remove the liner and tough your toes against the front of the shell how much room (in mm) do you have between the back of your heel and the shell?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its about a fingers width, so about 15mm or a little less. Skiing they are ok (ish) i have to undo them most chairlifts etc, but walking anywhere is not good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have 15mm shell gap I'd say they are probably a bit too long for you, so maybe your foot is sliding forwards and banging against the shell? If you're losing a toenail each year I'd say you have to visit a good bootfitter to see what the problem is.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz, I had the dreaed black toe nails (followed by a fungal infection which took months and months to lose). The problem was not the boot size but the flex; I wasn't flexing the boots enough to shift my toes back so they were pushing against the front of the boots. They were notably stiff boots. Could that be the problem?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are quite stiff, Le ski lab in Winter park said that the shell fit was a race fit, i.e. very tight and that the boot was a junior race boot, it does have quite a forward lean in the cuff. I do seem to always do the nail damage right at the start of the season. It just this time my toes feel numb still, similar happened in zermatt 2 years ago with all the walking there. Maybe i need to walk more on my heels (i use the cat track things). I don't think my feet are moving about in the boot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there could be a load of things going on from the footbed not doing its job properly to your calf muscle pushing you forward in the boot, you need to get to a good boot fitter , but from the size you are saying you have in the boot they are not too small
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my similar problem disappeared this year from having a footbed that supported my high arches. now really comfy. See a bootfitter before you condemn the boots
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
should clarify as you asked the question you can stretch different areas of the boot differing amounts width [with care] easily 8-10mm length in toes 3-4mm without too much trouble, also grinding the heel pocket will allow the liner to move back giving more toe space, but oy need to find out why it is happening in the first place
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for the reponses, I will try to get to a boot fitter with them, problem is i live on a small island, and there are no bootfitters here! The footbed has a huge arch support, (i have very high arches) and the problems only seem to occur in places where i walk alot. Having a good look at the boots this morning, there is a rivet in the shell right above my big toe, i wonder if that is bruising my toe?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
unlikely to be the rivet although it could be pressure from above rather than length which is causing the problem, if so the fix is really simple and should take a bootfitter no more than a couple of minutes to either shave the footbed or the zeppa down a little to give more height
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Numb toes/feet might be from over tightening the boot. I had this - overtightened and crushed the nerve which runs down into your foot from your calf. It took almost six months to get any feeling back in my foot. I now keep the third buckle a lot less tight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy