Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lets gets/Portes Du Soleil runs...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to LG on the 23rd with the missus. Really looking forward to it and have all apendages crossed for a big dump (ooerr!!) when we get there. A few snowHeads have given me some suggestions on good runs, but anyone got any snowboard-specific runs/routes that'll be worth doing across the PDS while we're there?

I’ll give most things ago, although I’m not really out there to do hellish blacks. Mrs. Spesh likes nice cruisey blues. Avoriaz looks like it has a quite a few of the latter, as does the area between LG and Morzine. Any suggestions about the Swiss parts?

Did La Plagne last year and worked out a few nice routes that took most of the day, which meant we had fun, interesting days. Would like to do the same kind of thing in PDS, although I’m wary that (like La Plagne) there may be some flat, boring, push-a-long runs that won’t be that much fun and will be best avoided. Not too fussed about having dedicated food stops (although a coffee here and there won’t go amiss) – may just carry lunch in the backpack – although the odd slopeside snack might eventually happen.

If we’re in the Swiss side, will we have to carry Swiss francs or will Euro do?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Melezes is a really nice ride in Les Gets. This is the run that ends up down in the Perriers car park. There are some nice kickers that can be hit at speed.
I have never had the Swiss turn away Euro's, just sometimes you get done a bit on the exchange rate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, the area is generally pretty snowboard friendly. The worst links are:
- Les Gets to Morzine on either side of the hill is a long, flat run that isn't much fun on a board
- the return from Avoriaz to Super Morzine has two routes - one is virtually flat and the other has a drag lift - so Hobson's choice for a snowboarder.

If you're heading over the Swiss side then Crozets is pretty snowboard friendly, but the rest of that side has lots and lots and lots and lots of drags.

The drop down from the top of Chaux Fleurie to the Linga sector can be unpleasant as it's busy red that gets icy. It's worth getting over there early to avoid the crowds and do the run whilst it has nice snow on it.

There are a number of "discovery" routes around Morzine / Les Gets and Avoriaz - which you can take your brain out and follow. They have time guidelines to give you an idea of what you've signed up for.

If you want to "have a go" off-piste then there are two lovely Snowcross runs under the Fornet chair in Avoriaz - which are controlled off-piste. There's an option of the blue run if Mrs. Spesh wants a pisted option.

Euros will work on the Swiss side and most places dual price, rather than converting - which works out better value. Swiss Francs will also work on most of the French side.

Bear in mind that the cash machines at Geneva airport give out Swiss Francs. Obvious, I know, until you take out 300 Swiss Francs by mistake rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Specialman, just back from Morzine, had a great week. PhillipStanton, is one of the many local experts on here so I'd trust everything he says. To add to some of that if heading LG to Morzine stay right on the flat track, at least it's flat rather than uphill on the left. I got across it without unclipping but it can depend on traffic. The snowcrosses are excellent especially if you don't have proper off piste kit.

Most of the drags are fairly easy especially in Switzerland although there are some shockers: normally those with metal rather than plastic poles. The black snowcross from the top of the Mousettes lift is very good fun if the snow's nice. There's a long blue alternative to it too. If you're ok in big moguls and the snow's nice the wall is excellent especially if you aim to track left and get out the bumps and onto the steep but nice slope. Check the snow first: any sign of ice and stay away: it's a long fall.

I tended to stay on the Avoriaz side: the snow seemed better although when it dumped on Tuesday the trees in LG where the place to play, we only touched piste (normally black) to get on lifts. There's a looooooooooooooooooong blue going to Morgins: don't bother it's very flat, the tops nice though if you want to drop off to Les Crosets instead. All the runs to Les Crosets are good, the left hand red is my favourite piste in the PdS and that area gets a lot of sun so is worth heading to in case of ice.

It was very hot towards the end of the week so they could do with more snow again I think it's due soon so that shouldn't be a problem. It was icy first thing so we hit the park for an hour or so then it got slushy late on but this is no problem on a board in fact the skiers were really struggling on the Linga run staying in a small scrapped area. I passed about 20 people in 50m by hitting the slush pile instead.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, were you the bloke in the snowheads T-shirt in Buddha one night early in he week?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, probably, if drinking a giraffe the definitely. Sorry I lost my phone at some point, I think it got scared by some of the runs we did and committed suicide off a lift/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton wrote:
Specialman, the area is generally pretty snowboard friendly. The worst links are:
- Les Gets to Morzine on either side of the hill is a long, flat run that isn't much fun on a board
- the return from Avoriaz to Super Morzine has two routes - one is virtually flat and the other has a drag lift - so Hobson's choice for a snowboarder.

That drag is a doddle - and I'm a boarder who hates drags..but its much much better than walking on the flat track - although most of the time we did Avoriaz in Jan we tended to go upto / from the prodains cable car..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, yes that was it, I had a quick word with you, and then we ordered our own giraffe Very Happy In that case I was actually in Coyote when your mob were there taking advantage of the happy hour Euro 3 beers. I too found that I was whizzing past the skiers on the soft stuff and steep slushy stuff too Very Happy

bertie bassett, yip, did Prodans route too via cable car or chair lifts, one day we did Ardent on the bus (taken from the other side of the SuperMorzine gondola valley) which was by far the easiest of the two options. Getting back down the blacks to Prodans was the preferred route home and was fun in the soft moguls and slush

the Wall was a doddle due to the soft snow moguls and I cut off once to the left and once to the right to surf down on soft easy snow.

The main Avoriaz bowl was great, with lots of free terraine to do little jumps or ride some banks etc.

PhillipStanton, I had a coffee in the cafe with the 'fire' in the middle, but never tried the 'roof' because the snow cover was not good enough Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can spend Euros in Switzerland, I've done it before when going from Morzine - Avoriaz - Switzerland.

As for returning to Morzine from Les Gets, there is no need to do the long flat run from the top Chavannes express lift. Head the opposite way, and go down the Chevrelle. This is a red but it's no steeper than a steep blue, it's no problem for beginners. We took several improving-novice skiiers down there last week and they all loved it. Then take the des Troncs lift (Asterix advert on it) up and you can do 2 blue runs or a blue and a red to the des Fys lift. This takes you up the Pleney section where the very flat Belvedere lift finishes. From there you have a few choices of boarding back down to Morzine but I always prefer Piste B, which is a long blue.

As for coming back from Avoriaz, go down the Proclou blue slope, then get the chairlift that I think is called Serasaux. Then go down the blue Q'mont which is very short. Then get the button up. Then you have a choice of Zore or Tetras (both blue) back to the Super Morzine gondola. I hate button lifts on my board but it's really not bad, it's pretty quick. I really would not walk the flat bit at the top of Q'mont unless you really, really hate button lifts.

If you are staying for more than 3 days I would get a full area pass and explore both Avoriaz side and Les Gets side if you are staying in Morzine.

As for Les Gets, I would head for the "bowl" - this has 4 lifts and some really good pistes. I think it's the "Secteur Chavanne" on the piste map.

As for Avoriaz, try the blues and reds above the hotels.

And as for the Switzerland side, it's not anywhere near as good in my opinion and next time I go, I doubt I will bother. Although I will admit I have only done around 3 days on that side in the last 4 trips I have done to Morzine and I don't really know where to go.

It really p*ssed it down on Wednesday in Morzine and Les Gets, however higher up in Avoriaz it was snowing. So I'd say the snow is better up there.

Cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, ah so we did meet then! We were in the Coyote for happy hour most nights, it seemed to good a deal to miss although I probably should have left earlier on the Thursday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman, if I was on a board going to Morzine from Les Gets, I would choose to go down the Belle Mouille rather than the Chevrelles, it's a sharper desent and at the end you cound sweep around to the left on the flatish bit before the lifts. You come out on the same bit as Chevrelles but less of the flat.
Watch out for the bend in the middle, it can be empty one minute and like the M25 the next which is interesting!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i am really impressed everyone remembers the names of these pistes Laughing the best I can do is bash it over to Nyon, get to some chair lift up that you have to board over a bridge to get to it, get to the top and bang it down the red to base Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, go there quite a lot, though sometimes have to get a piste map out to direct people as we have our own names for some of the runs.
That ruddy bridge was a pain last week, no snow in it whatsoever so v little slide, quite relieved was on skis and not board Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou, the bridge is more of a pain when loads of people stop by the entrance so you can't get a blast at it. I get on it then pull myself along the fence, much like being in a drag queue. The place we've stayed the last two seasons would be skiable via the green from there and some gardens but there's never been enough snow when I've been there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="Swirly"]Lou, the bridge is more of a pain when loads of people stop by the entrance so you can't get a blast at it.[/quotere]
tell me about it! While in the 'queue' in January, caught a ski on netting (whilst standing still I might add Embarassed ) and did a nice sort of slow motion, embarassing sort of, end up on backside job...... and am apparently on someone's headcam somewhere Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy