Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado ski train promoter challenges rule of car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The vast majority of Colorado's skiers arrive by car, but growing congestion of the strategic 'Interstate 70' is forcing a re-think about expanding the small ski train service. One ambitious idea is to build a monorail in parallel to the I-70, but a local entrepreneur favours increased use of the existing railway track to Winter Park.

It all has interesting historical roots. Winter Park, the favoured resort of Denver ski enthusiasts before the construction of the highway, was built on the back of a rail service (as was Sun Valley in Idaho, America's first dedicated ski resort)...

The construction of Interstate 70 enabled a string of famous resorts, including Vail, to flourish from their easy access.

Now, the resorts of two counties in Colorado - Grand County and Summit County - compete for business, with transfer efficiency from Denver a key issue. And the famous road doesn't always operate as intended, not only because of increasing traffic. Only in the past 10 days a major rockfall with boulders "the size of vans" closed the I-70 route, as repair teams battled to repair huge holes in the road.

More is explained in this report from Denver Business Journal. / MSNBC News

If any US snowHeads would like to cast light on their experiences of the I-70, and whether they'd use rail to access ski resorts in the area, it would be interesting to read comments.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-12-04 13:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The I-70 is the main road up to all the resorts, even going to Winter Park, you have to go up it a bit. It can be a busy road at times.
The ski train to WP stops at the ticket office. You come off the train, walk across the corner of a car park, and you're at the Zephyr Express.
Unfortunately for those of us flying in to Denver, the airport is 20+ miles from the train station in Denver.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The US has never really been one for an 'integrated public transport' policy!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
u brain wrote:

Whilst it is true that in many places in the US the car is king, there are places where they put a bit of effort into providing good quality public transport. Take the public transport around Portland, Oregon. You can even take public transport from Portland up to Mount Hood to go skiing and boarding. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
u brain wrote:

Whereas here in the UK we have an integrated public transport policy but no action to back it up Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy