Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Map (Murren)

Poster: A snowHead
The 'website' piste map they use on Murren is so out dated, i have even emailed them to inform them of this but they still keeping using it.

Two new chairlifts(installed in 1993 , Muttleren and Kandahar)
Schiltgrat t-bar changed to Chairlift (Installed in 1998 )
Maulerhubel t-bar changed to Chairlift (installed in 2001)
Rad t-bar taken out of service (don't know the actual year but at least 10 years ago)

Im sure they could use an updated one from tourism Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 30-07-05 23:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Odd, I've got one from last season that shows all the updated lifts you mention, perhaps Murren were still using the old version, or had run out of the new ones Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, the piste map on the SCGB website under resort info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Brookes, Embarassed sorry Laughing Mind you why am I not surprised snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, its late a snowHead . They use the same map for Wengen and Grindelwald.....how old Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll have a look, yep pretty old I'd guess about 10 years or so
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris, did you get a reply to your email?
(playing advocate for the Ski Club, I wonder if it was seen)
Whatever, information of that type should obviously be updated annually. As suggested above, it's best for the Club to hyperlink to the horse's mouth so that the responsibility for the accuracy of the info is the tourist office's or lift company's.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How long before the usual suspects appear to defend the SC from new criticism on snowHeads ???
Ducks Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Quite some time, I should think. It's Sunday morning, maaan.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh I get it, this is some kind of sport. Well I'll leave you all to play with yourselves. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually Chris raises a valid question, which is how often are the SCGB resort information pages updated, it seems crazy that having been told that piste maps etc. are out of date by as much as 10 years they still carry on using them Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, yes he does and i was only doing a bit of leg pulling. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could it be something to do with copyrite? They bought the rights to publish the map from a particular year, and it would cost to update it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, I contacted them over a year ago when the forum was open to the public. I thought they are meant to be leading UK club regarding skiing and information.The reps visit each year so im shocked no one has commented on this internally.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B, no the tourist offices essentially publish the maps as public domain material to encourage reproduction in brochures etc., and to attract visitors.
snow report
David Goldsmith, Not all of them as I've found, some have a sliding scale of reproduction copyright fees depending on use and projected income from that use. It seems to be completely arbitrary to the local Tourist Office even within domains. VD wants money Tignes doesn't, its' not a lot but it is a fee.
The big tour operators I've contacted won't say if they pay or not. What I've found is, if the Tourist office include it with their promo pack then it's ok to reproduce.
latest report
Eitherway,copyright or not they should either remove such an old piste map(not doing Murrren any justice) or create a link to tourism map which is accessible via the web..
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, sorry, yes I got a bit side-tracked. It does seem odd that whilst the SCGB talks up its prestige, it has a somewhat 'laisser passer' attitude to the veracity of its website. I think what will define its priorities will be how quickly it rectifies this small but glaring issue.

It's very important to those of us who want to ski at Wengen but is that greater than the desire to generate income. Is this an example of the drive to expand club economics subsuming the needs of its membership.

And before the club supporters start poking pins into my effigy, it is a serious question that club members should ask themselves. Is the SCGB more interested in generating income than serving its members and keeping its reference material current, even if that data is only available to its members?
latest report
Masque, this information is available to non-members plus they also use piste maps that are over 10 years old for the rest of the Jungfrau region.
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, There certainly are newer maps available (just checked, there are lots of them). I could, of course, be wrong and that the newer maps are not royalty free and that the Club just doesn't want to pay a reproduction charge. It'd just be interesting to know why it's reference material for this area so very dated. Is that the only area?
As it's on the public side of the site, I'd have thought it even more impostant to be accurate and up to date.
snow report
Masque, Im shocked that they haven't updated it for only 10 + years specially as they have reps there most of the season. I've visited the following two sites which both have newer versions compared to SCGB

http://www.natives.co.uk/resorts/mur/pistemap.jpg

http://www.ifyouski.com/Resorts/View/?objectid=59004

Maybe in another 10 years they might update this information Puzzled
snow report
Although it is interesting to see that none of them have the latest map which can be found at http://www.jungfrauwinter.ch
ski holidays
D G Orf, i agree but Natives & Ifyouski websites show the three chairlifts on there maps which indicate there copies relate to around 1998 - 2001 compared to SCGB not showing the Muttleren and Kandahar chairlifts at all which were installed in 1993.
ski holidays
Masque, the thought that the Ski Club might have to pay a reproduction fee for the Murren piste map is actually quite amusing. Sir Arnold Lunn virtually ran international ski racing from there, and of course James Bond defeated Blofeld at their top lift station.

If the SCGB has to pay the Murren tourist office to copy 'n paste its lift map I'll dip my ski hat in a cheese fondue and eat it.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Funnily enough a number of years ago I was helping out someone who was looking at doing a conference in the area, (it never took place Sad ) He asked the tourist office if he could use one of their pictures from their brochure and they replied that he was welcome to use any picture, image or map from any of their publicaations and there would be no charge
snow conditions
I'm sure they would accommodate anymore or any company if it promoted Murren in a positive way.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

If the SCGB has to pay the Murren tourist office to copy 'n paste its lift map I'll dip my ski hat in a cheese fondue and eat it.
snowHead
ski holidays
[This posting has been edited so that it is not generating the maps below themselves - just the URLs for the maps]

Just so we keep tabs on what's happening here, this is the Murren map I found on the SCGB site:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/resorts/gssg/images/pistemaps/thumbnails/44940.jpg
Is that the one you're talking about, Chris? Is there no hyperlink to the one below?
Murren tourist office official map (scroll right for Murren):
http://www.natives.co.uk/resorts/mur/pistemap.jpg

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 1-08-05 15:22; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
It's almost up to date, the Aspen drag lift just above Grund station near the Gondola has not run for the last I think 2 years (might be 3) but otherwise it looks fairly accurate
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at that map makes me wish winter was here now!!!! rolling eyes
latest report
The piste maps for Wengen, Murren, Interlarken and Grindelwald have now been updated. I agree - it was very out of date.

We are in the process of updating all of our pistemap images at the moment.

I went to Wengen in April and loved it!!
latest report
Thanks Laura

Another Wengen fan Shocked Laughing
snow report
laurachamberlain, welcome back Laura. A result. Thank you.
ski holidays
Thanks from dropping in, Laura.
[Just on a technical note, the map now automatically pasted into my posting of 12.42pm is the newly revised one, since the hyperlink that generates the map now generates the official Murren map via the Ski Club database. At least I fink that's what's happened!
I've edited that 12.42pm posting to replace the maps with URLs, because the page had gone so wide. DG]
snow report
laurachamberlain, well done wink

The map they are now using comes from the regional website ( http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/index.php?id=44&lang=en ) but its not upto date (before 2001).

The one they could be using (most upto date)either for Murren or the whole region comes from the Junfgrau Railways ( http://www.jungfrauwinter.ch/pages/english/JWR/JWR_Karte_ueb.htm ) another option is from the Schilthorn website which is a detailed map in PDF format on Murren ( http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=20 )

At least they are now using one more recent than the 1993 version. May it help future skiers wishing to know what is' truely' on offer in the region.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 1-08-05 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
So wengen-muerren.ch (what's that, the regional tourist offices?) aren't on the ball themselves?
ski holidays
The wengen-Murren.ch site relates to the following villages : Wengen,Murren,Lauterbrunnen,Gimmelwald,Stechelberg & Isenfluh which it is now the tourist site. They all used to have there own sites a few years back but maybe due to cost they have joined forces.

The map they do have on Murren is only missing the Maulerhubel chairlift,instead it show a t-bar but below the actual map it shows it as a chairlift. At least it has all the lifts in it.
snow report
A few years ago the individual tourist offices all worked independantly (with independant budgets) which caused a few financial problems, they've now combined forces as they are all under the control of the Lauterbrunnen valley (the administrative control of the area) interestingly despite sharing the ski and walking area with Grindelwald that village (small town) is covered by a separate administratve area, thus the most up to date ski maps are those produced by the railway company, complicated eh Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Found another site using a outdated map ! Snow-forecast have there free 'friday login' day so i visited the Murren map and found them using an old printed Grindelwald regional piste map.

I've emailed them today to let them know and suggested they use the same one as SCGB as they run in conjuction with them. wink
snow conditions
I dont understand !! I emailed Snow-forecastt his morning to let them know they are using out of date info......have they replied back to me today saying thanks or anything.............................N O T H I N G.... rolling eyes rolling eyes

To think you have to pay the snow-forecast membership fee to be allowed to view this kind of upto date info Puzzled
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, that's why I don't bother with them, I use the US based system
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy