Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shalli's Austrian Magical Mystery Tour

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm off to Austria on Saturday. After some debate, I've booked Allocation On Arrival through Inghams for somewhere in Austria - very impatient to find out where.

In a move set to disappoint eco-warriors everywhere, I have used about 50 sheets of paper to print out the Inghams guide and the j2ski page for each of the approx. 20 resorts Inghams uses in Austria so I can quickly make a decision on whether to kiss or kick the holiday rep when they tell us where they're sending us (and if necessary wave hard-earned money at them til they put us somewhere better...)

As I did such a crap job of reporting my last trip to the snow (Val Thorens), I've decided to try a bit harder this time, and will provide updates as and when I can [be bothered Wink ] with maybe even a picture or two. Time will tell.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out with thoughts, comments or advice so far...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Things have been interesting so far. We didn't miss our flight, but almost did. Big turbulence over S. Germany; we found out at Salzburg that almost every other flight in the region had to put down at Munich. The lady who seems to be in charge of our hotel said a plane had even crashed, although she said no-one was hurt.
Ah yes, but where is this hotel, you may well ask. Well, I had a list of all 20 or so resorts Inghams use in Austria, and St. Wolfgang, with its total lack of proximity to the pistes (30+ min cup ride anyone?) was dead last on my wish list. I would love to tell you we ended up in Kitzb. or Mayrhfn. but I can't.
The St. Wolfgang locals seem to regard up with a mixture of veiled curiosity and aloof suspicion. I put this down to the fact that we have snowboards, and - even more damning - we are under 30.
Also, all the shops seem to be perma-closed. I suspect this place is actually a summer resort, and I'm fairly hacked off with Inghams. The woman at the desk at the airport who gave me the allocation got very defensive as soon as she saw my face fall.
Oh well, off to the slopes. We're determined to have fun Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shallimus,
Quote:
the fact that we have snowboards, and - even more damning - we are under 30

A thread killer Toofy Grin Laughing

Enjoy Razz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller wrote:
A thread killer

OK then, moving swiftly on...

Missed the bus to go to the advanced area, so ended up in Postalm. Beginner central, with only 2 T-bars open, to give up a grand total of 20 seconds riding for a 5 minute lift ride.
I am so grateful for my new Flow M9s.

To complete our delight, it started to rain around 1pm. We got the early bus back and have at least found an open shop so now have Beer. This is Important Stuff. The shop was run by a very nice lady who seemed pleased to see us and didn't stare at us as though we were a hitherto unknown species (as do most people in this place).

Tomorrow we hope to make it to the 'good' slopes... Will report back later (if I haven't been kicked out of snowHead for being too young Wink )

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 2-03-08 17:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shallimus, I feel your pain, I learned to ski in St Wolfgang at around this time and there was only a small bit of snow on the Postalm - even us beginners got bored with it. I'm pleased you have beer, it was necessary on our trip. Which hotel are you in?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Shallimus, Keep it going ... but suggest you don't find a pretty waitress to 'not-chat-up' wink snowHead Your viewing numbers will go off-the-clock ! Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've gone for a wander and ended up at Hotel Forsterhöf in order to find some interwebs (our hotel is the Wiesbauer and doesn't have it).

The natural scenery is undoubtedly gorgeous, but we're here to snowboard dammit! Also, we're beginning to feel like Frankenstein's monster as 90% of people are staring at us... some people are very friendly, but they're the minority. Ah well rolling eyes

Now, where's those waitresses at? wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look on the bright side, my two days on the Stubai glacier has coincided with it being shut for 1.5 days. Ended up at Schlick 2000 for a few hours and it was busier than Cardiff on match day, the queues look longer than the runs
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shallimus, poor you !! Having read a little on St Wolfgang when looking myself and can agree with you having it last on your list. Hope you caught the bus and have found a slope of some length !

re: waitresses, didnt you go with the missus? make sure you find her a laderhosen studmuffin to even ogling balance Twisted Evil

rayscoops, thats a bit of a bummer Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shallimus, that sucks but at least you're in the mountains. How's the board?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shallimus, I've been to St Wolfgang many years ago, so can understand why it was the last resort. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you shouldn't be such a tight back bottom and book an allocation on arrival
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
russ_e, some people are on a budget Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
russ_e, Me and my girlfriend can't go at all this year due to finances so despite variable time he is having in St Wolfgang, I am still jealous of Shallimus,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hey shalli - at least there's been some freshies out there snowHead
snow report
croskemj, A good point. I have sympathy for your situaton.
ski holidays
Yep, not fun to have small cashpile and big dreams. And anyway, I was starting to think we'd get nothing at all and could only find an allocation on arrival anywhere close to budget and something is better than nothing. Hope next season is better for you croskemj.
Tis true there was fresh snow Tue/Wed so in the end we had a good time. The board is a bit too narrow for me to use for getting sound the mountain, but is possible for messing about on. The length just isn't a problem though... for all the self-proclaimed experts out there, I weigh 18 stone and have been quite happily blasting all over West Dachstein on Jules' (wider) 151 and it really hasn't been a problem. I an planning to buy a longer Lib Tech for next season but there's just no need for me to have something which comes up to my chin or any of the other bits of infallible wisdom you hear Wink
Few hours to kill before our transfer now. I feel beer and pizza coming on... Smile
snow report
Shallimus, Beats work though wink Laughing Safe trip back
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy