Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

flow bindings ........yes or no and the reason why

Poster: A snowHead
i am thinking of buying some flow bindings can anyone recommend or dis them please. Blush

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-01-08 20:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waaoooohhhh Shocked

Pandora's box just been opened! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This should be fun. Laughing

Check they fit your boots first!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
50/50 - a bit like marmite Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with all of the above!

But, seriously, I used Flows for quite a few years and loved them, having tried cheap strap bindings and step in bindings before that. The Flows are great for relieving pressure from the top of your foot. I found that I could ride for longer without cramping problems. This is partly due to the fact that the binding spreads the pressure, but also because you cannot be tempted to keep tightening the bindings up too much, as is often the case with strap bindings. They are also very easy to get in and out of. I particularly liked the ease of putting them on in powder.

However, I started to lose my love for them when I found the heel of my boots slipping upwards in the binding. This seemed to happen after a few days on each trip, and so may have been due to a softening in the strap through usage, or a compression of the boots through usage. For the first days of the next trip the problem didn't seem to arise.

I then tried straps again and felt that they were noticeably more responsive when trying to pedal the board or initiate tricks.

I still think that Flows are good but I'm currently riding straps. If you like ease of entry and have a problem with feet going numb, then Flows could make life a lot more enjoyable. If you don't have a problem with discomfort, I'd get a decent set of strap bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NO!

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DebbiDoesSnow, YES!

Twisted Evil

Just kidding, NO!!! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saxabar, can you give me any reasons why you have said yes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DebbiDoesSnow, saxabar, can you give me any reasons why you have said no
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andybabes, not really ! I just don't like the look of them. So don't listen to me I don't know what I'm talking about Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, come on now, give the reason why !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No. Too heavy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too heavy and too much movement. Given all you have to do is lean over and do your back binding when leaving a lift, that in my book isn't worth the compromise of movement as with strapless Flows. If I was a newb who had to sit down to do bindings I'd think differently though. I wish I'd had Flows when learning!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The convenience of stepping in to the bindings is worth it. You can tighten your Flows in the same way as straps and I have no extra movement with my Flows compared with when I have worn straps. Actually first time I wore Flows I set the foot binding sleeve way too tight and was effectively shoe-horning my foot in with the high backs rather than just stepping in to them. Unless you are doing serious jumps I do not think one set of bindings are better than the other except that Flows are easier to use because you can put them on standing up. Flows are heavy at 3kg and do not have enough bling factor. Flows are easier to learn to board with
ski holidays
Saxabar - what are strapless flows? My Flow bindings have four straps on each foot that feed into the foot cover thingy
latest report
rayscoops, Umm, just stoopid phrasing on my part Embarassed Still, I really don't see what the palava is. It takes me between 5-10 seconds to lean over and ratchet my back binding. Job done, feet secure, off I go.
snow report
Still a novice and I have step ins, no problems yet, and save loads of time in UK snowdomes with such short runs.
Also getting older, fatter and less supple, so much easier to put them on/off than straps.
Never tried flows.
ski holidays
saxabar, exactly, less time than it takes the people you're with to complete their faff or if in a big group for the next couple of chairs to come up. The couple of seconds saved line is a total con.
latest report
We're Boarders!!! our philosophy is to chill out, relax and to enjoy the ride man !
latest report
Both are fine
latest report
I am disappointed...... Sad

I was expecting a full on argument, war even with 50% of the boarders on one side and the rest on the other side...

I was imagining all sort of abuse flying in both directions...

And nothing....sooo disappointing! Toofy Grin
snow report
Kruisler, like Debbi said...
Quote:

We're Boarders!!! our philosophy is to chill out, relax and to enjoy the ride man !
you need to go and ask some questions in BZK if you really want to see the (faux) fur fly...... (and I meant to say the other day, have fun in Scheff... not long now! Very Happy )
latest report
actually one thing I can do with Flows is put them on whilst starting to slide on a slight slope - typically coming of a chair lift, whereas with the strap bindings unless the ground is flat I have to sit down to put them on as I always seem to step on the straps. Apart from that I have no preference really. Flows do seem to be a bit heavy in my board bag though but whilst riding the extra kg is negligible due to my natural bulk Very Happy
snow report
I think flows (and other step-ins) are great for beginners - less hassle when doing short runs.
After you have progressed then straps are really no extra overhead.

I wish I would have had step-ins when I learnt - much easier.

Also on my first week on a board I had straps which didn't have a ratchet on the toe strap and I couldn't get them tight enough!
snow report
snojito,

I am not looking for fights...
it's just that the simple mention of "Flow" usually brings chaos!! Laughing

So I was expecting more of the same but Debbi obvioulsy has spread chilled Karma around... Cool
ski holidays
I tried to stir it up when I said NO, Saxabar bit and then it all went down hill on a pair of ski's from there Sad
snow report
snojito, Not long for you now !! Fri isn't it ??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i suppose you just have to go with the flow really, mannn ...... Very Happy taxi please Shocked
ski holidays
rayscoops, GROAN Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Also on my first week on a board I had straps which didn't have a ratchet on the toe strap and I couldn't get them tight enough!

My first set of bindings didn't have ratchets on either strap Shocked they were a right pain. Still I sold them for £45 though Shock
snow conditions
rayscoops, shouldn't that be "skidoo"? Toofy Grin

Kruisler, you're right of course, not quite the usual "I will defend my flows to the death!"..... where's a specialman when you need one?

DebbiDoesSnow, yup yup yup! Very Happy my over-excitement seems to be manifesting itself as making a nuisance of myself in other areas of the site Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

where's a specialman when you need one?

His bindings probably snapped.
ski holidays
Swirly, ROFL
ski holidays
Oh, for the love of God... Smile

Specialman is here to give you the outright, undisputable truth. Toofy Grin

I went to Flows, as my strap-in bindings were rubbish, didn't hold me in properly and just were doing my head in when I had to keep clearing out the buckles when they got icy and covered in snow.

Rented some while out in France and even though they were knackered rental ones that kept popping open towards the end of the week, I was sold. Used 'The Eleven' since then and have not regretted it since.

Aside from looking well cool, I just think Flows are more comfortable (once you have them set up correctly) and they give better support than strap-ins.

Saying that, they do take some setting up but on an evening it's a good thing to do while having a beer. You also need to make sure you boot fits, more so than with strap bindings, as a Flow that's too small for your boot is excrutiatingly painful to use for more than an hour or so.

I like the Regular Vs Flow thing to PCs Vs Macs: Strap-ins are the industry standard and although the design works, who wants to be standard and boring? Flows on the other hand are like Macs, with a following of maniacal, passionate peeps who love them to death and who see themselves as having made the right decision, even if it makes them social lepers. Smile

So, to answer the question int he thread title: yes, I can recommend them.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 8-01-08 17:45; edited 2 times in total
snow report
hahaha flow bindings, nice one Laughing
ski holidays
snojito wrote:
not quite the usual "I will defend my flows to the death!".....

I'll defend 'em - who's first for a poke in the eye and a kick in the shins for saying Flows are rubbish? Very Happy
snow report
Specialman, FLOWS ARE RUBBISH Twisted Evil

[ ducks & runs ]
ski holidays
am 100% pro flow,

normally anti flow users are just getting on the band wagon and generally have little or no knowledge about the.

i rode in straps for 7 years. I suffered the foot pain etc and then i seriously damaged my ankle.

Now flows and stiff boots are the only way i can ride. I have ridden with strap binding since, last year i tore another ligament riding with cap straps and just the other day i used my old board with straps and just felt i had absolutely no controll.

for me flows are a must. They are so quick to put on and every time i put them on they are in the right place, i dont ever need to adjust them they are just perfect. They have never fallen apart, infact i have never had any problem with them at all.
My other half has had no end of probs with his but wouldn't even consider strap bindings due to the foot pain the cause.

its all down to personal preference. anyone who says different, is yet again just getting on the anti flow band waggon with little or no knowledge.

If you can try some, do so. If you like them great if you dont, that is up to you.

Make your own mind up, dont listen to anyone else
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Specialman, FLOWS ARE RUBBISH Twisted Evil

[ ducks & runs ]

Pokes DebbiDoesSnow firmly in the eye Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy