Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting used to a new snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and girls,

Just a quick one really. I've just bought an new snowboard to replace my clapped out ex-rental board that I've been using for the past few years. I'd planned to replace it sooner but after getting new boots and bindings the other year I couldn't afford to do them all at the same time (I've got Burton Mission '06 bindings and Burton Shaun White '06 boots in case you were wondering).

My purchase was a brand spanking new Ride DH 157 '08.

I've been boarding with my crappy old board for 4 years and I'm just wondering how easy it'll be to adjust to my new purchase.

I'm hoping that because its a much better board I'll immediately click with it, but to be honest I don’t really know how these things work. Should I expect the first day to be spent getting used to it? Or will the fact that I've been using a crappy board for ages mean I'll be fine with it straight from the off?

Oh and if anyone else has tried out this board I've be interested to hear your impressions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The DH seems to be a board for park/pipe - I would expect it to be quite forgiving on the piste, although not as stable at speed.
Any reason you bought that bought in particular?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that you'll feel natural on it from the off. The DH is not a hard and unforgiving ride and so you won't worry about riding it, you'll just enjoy doing so!

The main thing you'll notice is that it will feel fast to start with due to its clean base and edges. By the way, give it a lovely hot wax before your trip, on top of the factory wax, as the factory wax is not likely to have been done with as much love and care as you will give your own board.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jagerbull wrote:
The DH seems to be a board for park/pipe - I would expect it to be quite forgiving on the piste, although not as stable at speed.
Any reason you bought that bought in particular?

It's a little shorter than my previous board so I guess it's might to be a little less stable at speed. Hopefully not too much, I can’t be having my mates overtaking me Smile

I opted for the DH really just because I want to start hitting the park more and practicing my jumps. I've done a fair bit of reading up on it and the jist that I've got is that although it's designed as a freestyle board it's still fairly flexible and it can hold its own as a general all rounder.

I basically read as much as I could and then just talked to the guy in my local snowboard shop about the different options and ended up with the Ride DH. He's best mate had one (he show me some photos) and he really talked it up. Seemed to match what I was after, if a little more than I was originally planning to spend but hey... you only live once.
Tony Lane wrote:
I think that you'll feel natural on it from the off. The DH is not a hard and unforgiving ride and so you won't worry about riding it, you'll just enjoy doing so!

The main thing you'll notice is that it will feel fast to start with due to its clean base and edges. By the way, give it a lovely hot wax before your trip, on top of the factory wax, as the factory wax is not likely to have been done with as much love and care as you will give your own board.

Have fun!

Sounds good, the fella in the shop said it’s worth getting a hot wax so I’ll proabably do that before I head out next month.

I'll make sure I post up my impressions of it when I get back!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will probably ride like a snowboard.
Since you don't have a lot of experience on decent boards and have nothing to compare it to in your case it should feel like a ride on a thoroughbred after riding an old mule.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I got back on Saturday & I don't know what I was worrying about!

It clicked straight away & I didn't have any problems getting used to it at all... like riding a new bike I guess, slightly different equipment but it all comes back.

My fears of getting left behiend on the piste due to it being a 157 and slight shorter (and more park orientated) board didn’t seems too much of an issue. I was just a quick as my mates, and some of them had giant 167 boards.

Due to there not being much fresh stuff around I didn't get too much powder action, expect for limited nice spots of untouched bits that you really had to search for. The rest was all just crusty (probably not the technical term!). Didn't have any problems with it though, got my nose dug in after landing a few jumps in pow & wiped out... seems to land fine, but then I think I was over compensating and leaning too far forward again... so the result was a nice jump and landing... followed by a bombing it along the pow for a few seconds & then stacking spectacularly... almost certainly my terrible technique though rather than the boards fault! Very Happy Hey you’ve got to learn somehow!

Going away again (if I can find a cheap enough deal) a week on Saturday so hoping for a nice dusting of snow in the coming week snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy