Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Aguille Du Midi

Poster: A snowHead
Hi im going to Chamonix and i have been reading about the dangers of the Aret and Valley Blanche run. Im an experienced snowboarder and was wondering has anyone actually done the run, what tips would you have for me as i want to do it with my good friend who is also very experienced. I dont wish to get a guide and just want to know what to expect.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a guide.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HinLiquidforce999, ive done the classic route and thoroughly enjoyed it. Last bit is very flat so as a boarder best pack some poles!

It's not recommended wihout a guide, you could get into serious trouble or worse Skullie
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it not a crevasse minefield? I wouldnt do it by yourself, although what do i know, I haven't put ski's on for 6-7 years Razz
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have done the VB loads of times and never used a guide. I have only seen two people get killed. One was a PGHM guy who fell off the arret, the other a boarder who fell in a hole when he took his board off and had to walk.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember seeing it on ski sunday a couple of years ago, I dont think I have the guts to even get in the cable car to get up Laughing

How did he manage to fall of the arret, there is rope at either side? Unless you are doing something you shouldn't be, I cant see it being easy to fall of the arret?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SpencerJT, There was no rope that day, he put his skis on very near the top, he went over the short side when he caught a lump of ice.

Liquidforce999, Get a bridge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try this very recent thread on the subject:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85270
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, Ahh I see, Still a bit silly to put your ski's on near the top! Razz

Did you see it with your naked eye like? Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SpencerJT, I did.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob, Not nice, I think I may have fainted and then fell down my self!

I fainted when I saw someone get hit by a car!

http://youtube.com/v/7zyGdJ2_eCM This is the ski sunday video of it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
I have only seen two people get killed.

In a word. Yikes.

Is it me, or do two separate incidents strike anyone else as "quite a lot".

Liquidforce999, how experienced you are as a boarder and boarding off-piste counts for more or less nothing on glaciated terrain. What you need is knowledge of how to travel safely on glaciated terrain. And even then, frankly, it's all a bit of a crap shoot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, To be fair with the boarder I only seen him getting pulled out of the hole, not going into it, so technically as he was already dead I didn't see him killed.

Chamonix is plastered with little posters at the moment seeking information about Belgian boarder last seen at the top of the Midi.

If you have to ask.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Liquidforce999 wrote:
Im an experienced snowboarder

With all due resepct Liquid, your experience snowboarding is irrelevant to doing the VB because the danger is not in the skiing, its the mountain environment. Unless you are self sufficient in the high mountains and have full equipment (harness, ropes, ice axes, crampons etc) then you shouldn't really be going up there without a guide. You will have no idea of the route, which may not be apparent from following other peoples tracks. Even if you do follow other people or their tracks you will have no idea if those tracks in fact lead to climbing or extreme skiing routes where you need gear to rappel. If the weather comes in you will have no idea where to go to get off the mountain. Literally, there is a large plateaux up there between Italy and France and in a white out you would be helpless. Most importantly, almost all the skiing is over glaciers, you will have no idea where the crevasses are or how to get out of them if you fall in. No-one will be coming to help you if you do. Even if your phone works, how will you tell the French emergency operator where you are? There are no pisteurs, there are no security guys closing the run off at the end of the day. The area is enormous also with loads of variant routes, god knows which one you'll end up on.

I have no doubt that an intermediate boarder or skier, or even a beginner, could go up the Aiguille, follow some other lads along and make it home with a great story to tell in the bar afterwards. I have no doubt that maybe 20 such boarders or skiers could pull it off without incident. But it simply wouldn't be worth the risk and relatively minor expense of paying for a guide. The mountains have to be respected, either acquire the skills yourself or pay for the benefit of someone who does. Those who don't respect the mountain and act irresponsibly get themselves into trouble and, quite frankly, deserve it.

Finally, as I recall the run out from the normal route is very flat. If you are a good boarder then you would benefit from a guide showing you an alternative route out which perhaps doesn't involve such a long flat run out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm, a few weeks ago we laughed at the sight of two young Japanese girls earnestly studying the piste map while standing in the AdM lift line.

We assumed they were just going up for the views.

Imagine our surprise and somewhat relief to see the, re-appear at the walk out of the glacier.

As said above, if you don't know your way about glaciated terrain, and don't have the required kit, get a guide.
latest report
If you are concerned about cost join a group The guides office make up groups( they also supply harness and avalanche tranciever) if you contact them.Parts of the run are flat so take some sticks if you are on a board and get the guide to take you down one of the steeper routes.The guide will also make much more of a day of it pointing out different peaks, couloirs and other routes as well as regailing you with showing you places people have dissapeared down cravases never to be seen again!
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
If you have to ask.

A very eloquent summary in answer to the OP.
snow conditions
Liquidforce999, not sure if your just flaming here however,

I'm all for just following tracks but on a glacier your leaving yourself open to terrain never experienced on piste (or rarely off piste in a ski area boundary) so unless you have mountaineering/rock climbing experience there is a risk of not coming off the hill at the end of the day. People do it however they have done it before guided (although snowbridges can move from week to week) or have rope experience and know what to do if they come across a crevass and therefore know what to expect. If anyone was to advise you to give it ago unguided (and from what it sounds unprepared) they'd be incredibly irresponsible, so doubt you'll have anyone say go for it on here!

Finally can your friend get you out of a crevass if needed? Can you get him out of one?

If you answered yes to both of those than excuse my negative post and enjoy the ride!
latest report
jbob wrote:
I have done the VB loads of times and never used a guide. I have only seen two people get killed. One was a PGHM guy who fell off the arret, the other a boarder who fell in a hole when he took his board off and had to walk.

Also make sure you're not up there at the same time as jbob given his track record.
snow conditions
fatbob, It's no joke, two years ago I was only in chamonix for 10 days, two of the days I was at Le Tour both days dead bodies were being helivaced one a British guy, plus a French man fell off his balcon two along from mine while I was have my tea, he was dead. A few weeks later I was on a chairlift that passed over a dead guy being given heart massage after being pulled out of an avalanche in Courmayeur.

More seriously, figures are hard to come by, but for a period in the winter of 2008 when I was monitoring it, fatalities on the VB we're running at one per week.

Choose life.
ski holidays
jbob, Sorry not trying to undermine the serious subject matter. 1 a week is an incredible attrition rate though isn't it? While I know the area is spectacular I'm not sure the skiing on the main tourist routes is fantastic enough to justify chancing it without a guide.
latest report
fatbob, I strongly suspect the op is a trol.

Skiing on glaciers is great fun and highly dangerous. In 2009, two guides died falling in crevasses in chamonix, one on the VB the other at GM. Arguably France's finest mountaineer Louis Lachenal, first man to climb a mountain over 8000m died on the VB. I guess we should have a sticky.

Safe for trolls.
ski holidays
Agree with the others don't do it without a guide. When I skied it there was a boarder in our group and she did need several tows from the skiers towards the end.
ski holidays
This is the way to go from the Aiguille for all you experts - straight off the arête...

http://youtube.com/v/AuQTXFc4bY8
and how you do it

http://youtube.com/v/_E2wBno6kpU&NR=1

Get a guide even for the Vallée Blanche as anyone sensible has previously said. The skiing is not difficult, it's the environment which is dangerous.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy